2013 Football Schedule

You and I are not even close to being on the same page. The number of wins are important but what I am primarily looking for is improvement in those things that are needed to build a strong program. This is a journey that does requires patience. I am not talking about wins but I am talking about changing a culture. That is what I am interesting in measuring.

For example, look what Kill has accomplished this winter in upgrading the walk-on program recruits for this coming fall. This takes time and requires a lot of hard work. If Kill continues to do the right things the wins should come.

But your whining isn't doing anything but making you feel bad. Get a grip on yourself man, by being at least somewhat positive you might actually notice what is going on and enjoy it. The choice is yours.

So in a thread about the schedule next year and how we will fair against it, you are upset that I am saying I think we will go 5-7? Do you realize that this thread is about how we will fair against the schedule next year?
If you want me to post about the walk-on program, you won't find it in this thread.

Get a grip on myself? From the sounds of things you often have a grip on yourself.

Considering our only two Big Ten wins came against Illinois and Purdue, I'd say it's a big deal that we aren't playing either next year. People that are looking at Indiana like a pushover are wrong.

Indiana > Illinois, Penn State > Purdue. When our margin for error is already so small, that does make a difference.

Yes.
And the non-conference schedule is a little different.
Not playing a team like Syracuse makes it a little easier, but we are going on the road to a team that just beat us 2 seasons ago. We are also playing home games against a team that took us to triple OT (they are going to be better next year IMO) and a San Jose State program that had a very good year last year.
I think the non-conference is pretty comparable.

I think the conference schedule is tougher because of who we miss.
@indiana is not a gimme
Iowa at home may be our easiest game and I have a hard time just chalking up wins over Iowa.

Yes.
And the non-conference schedule is a little different.
Not playing a team like Syracuse makes it a little easier, but we are going on the road to a team that just beat us 2 seasons ago. We are also playing home games against a team that took us to triple OT (they are going to be better next year IMO) and a San Jose State program that had a very good year last year.
I think the non-conference is pretty comparable.

I think the conference schedule is tougher because of who we miss.
@indiana is not a gimme
Iowa at home may be our easiest game and I have a hard time just chalking up wins over Iowa.

Don't NMSU and UNLV have new coaches this year? Gophers have to, and will, be 4-0 again next year.

When are the ACC and BIG EAST suppose to announce their schedules for next fall? there are a bunch of teams still with open dates.

There are no FCS (1AA) teams on next years schedule. If your thinking NMSt they are a WAC team.

You are wrong on this one. We playing FCS Western Illinois next year here at TCF Bank Stadium. you should look at the schedule most closely.

You got me! I think I was thinking W. Michigan in either case it should be a W.

You and I are not even close to being on the same page. The number of wins are important but what I am primarily looking for is improvement in those things that are needed to build a strong program. This is a journey that does requires patience. I am not talking about wins but I am talking about changing a culture. That is what I am interesting in measuring.

For example, look what Kill has accomplished this winter in upgrading the walk-on program recruits for this coming fall. This takes time and requires a lot of hard work. If Kill continues to do the right things the wins should come.

But your whining isn't doing anything but making you feel bad. Get a grip on yourself man, by being at least somewhat positive you might actually notice what is going on and enjoy it. The choice is yours.

Walk-ons matter little if the recruiting class is anchored to the bottom of the board again.

We are coming off back to back 2-6 league records. If 2013 is another year in that ball park then WYSIWYG with Coach Kill. It won't be getting any better.

But if it makes you feel better to ignore the reality of the situation, go for it.

Walk-ons matter little if the recruiting class is anchored to the bottom of the board again.

So, just to be clear:

1) It's impossible to win big if you recruit poorly on paper; and
2) Quality depth only matters if you're contending for conference championships.

Got it.

So, just to be clear:

1) It's impossible to win big if you recruit poorly on paper; and
2) Quality depth only matters if you're contending for conference championships.

Got it.

Yep.

1) Year after year bottom ranked classes will result in a bottom ranked program.

2)If your "quality depth" isn't by and large recruited scholarship players somebody has been doing a terrible job evaluating recruits.

I am not saying Kill can't get it done but the window is closing. 2013 is a key year for him.

You're wasting your time. You CLEARLY don't understand the value of a good "I told you so".

Year after year bottom ranked classes <strike>will</strike> may result in a bottom ranked program.

FIFY

Treating it as some sort of absolute is flat-out wrong. If the recruiting rankings were absolute, they wouldn't even have to play the games and could just give wins and championships to the higher-ranked recruiting team.

If your "quality depth" isn't by and large recruited scholarship players somebody has been doing a terrible job evaluating recruits.

Or:

1) You do a really good job of convincing players who have zero/poor scholarship options to come play for you, and then are able to foster and elevate their talent growth;

2) You actually give everyone a fair shot and don't have a bias toward scholarship players;

3) You weren't even the coach when the current upperclassmen were being recruited.

None of those are viable options. Nope, the only possible explanation is that Jerry Kill is a dogsh!t recruiter.

The jury is out on some of Kills recruits... Juco busts Harris- Stealing, Moulton-suspension, Foreman -- will he play QB ? I think some of the walk on and transfers have helped this.. Barker, Chrisenson, Mottala, Henry - Walk ons Engel transfer . we played 5-6 quality upper classmen to help some of the juco busts and brewster weak classes. Time will tell if Jerry's recruits pan out. Will McDonald shape up or be a bust like Harris in trouble all the time. I like Kill's walk on talent this year as they have seen he will play the best players encouraging more walk ons to come aboard. We need some more talent on the D Line as this is where lots of games are won and lost at with good LB support. I hope we get some good D help as lots of our starters on D will be upperclassmen. Who replaces Hageman and Vereen on D. These guys have a chance at the next level.

Just ran across this, not sure if it has already been posted. It says that the Gophers have the toughest schedule in the Big Ten next year.

http://insider.espn.go.com/college-football/blog/_/name/haney_travis/id/8868096/tennessee-volunteers-notre-dame-fighting-irish-teams-facing-toughest-2013-schedules-college-football

Big Ten

Minnesota Golden Gophers
One of those "barely" bowl teams in 2012 -- Minnesota won two conference games and needed an FCS win to get to 6-6 -- the Gophers are really going to have a rough time getting to a postseason game this season.

They have division games on the road at Michigan (Oct. 5), Northwestern (Oct. 19) and Michigan State (Nov. 30). There's mercifully an open date between the Michigan and Northwestern games, but that only slightly softens the blow from the fact Nebraska will be in Minneapolis the week after the trip to Ann Arbor. An away game at improving Indiana (Nov. 2) and a home game against Penn State (Nov. 9) make for a potentially crippling midsection. There are a number of staunch defenses in that run for a Minnesota team that was 108th in the country in offense in '12.

The only good news schedule-wise is that the Gophers steered clear of BCS-league opponents in the nonconference: UNLV, at New Mexico State, Western Illinois and San Jose State. Although a Spartans team that went 11-2 last season could give Minnesota some trouble.

Top Bottom