2013 Football Schedule

Someone can probably explain it in more detail, but I believe that the U didn't renew the contract. Someone correct me if I'm wrong.

Back on subject. I'm looking at 7 wins as a good year. I thought 6 this year would be good, 7 next year, and 8+ the following.

7 seems like a good target. I think 6 would be ok provided 3 of the wins were in the conference (maybe a SJSU loss in the non-conf). 3 conf wins this year is the key, given the opponents outside of the SJSU game the other 3 non-conf games should be W's as long as the team shows up ready to play on game day.

2 conf wins in years 1 and 2
3 conf wins in year 3
3-4 conf wins in year 4
Year 5 and beyond if things are travelling along that trajectory maybe the thought of a conference championship trip starts to enter in the equation for the not to distant future from that point.

We have a bit of a quirk in the schedule this year as we'll have four weeks in between home games. We host Iowa on 9/28 and then don't play home again until 10/26.

Go Gophers!!

That sucks. Best weather for football is end of Sept through late October. Why do we get the shaft with such a home drought???

That sucks. Best weather for football is end of Sept through late October. Why do we get the shaft with such a home drought???

That certainly is a negative but nobody seems to be talking about the positive of two bye weeks on this year's schedule. The first one is on October 12th and it gives us two weeks to prepare for Northwestern on the 19th. The second one is on November 16th and it give us two weeks to prepare for Wisconsin on the 23rd at home. With all the injuries we had last year we could have really used a couple of bye weeks last year.

7 seems like a good target. I think 6 would be ok provided 3 of the wins were in the conference (maybe a SJSU loss in the non-conf). 3 conf wins this year is the key, given the opponents outside of the SJSU game the other 3 non-conf games should be W's as long as the team shows up ready to play on game day.

2 conf wins in years 1 and 2
3 conf wins in year 3
3-4 conf wins in year 4
Year 5 and beyond if things are travelling along that trajectory maybe the thought of a conference championship trip starts to enter in the equation for the not to distant future from that point.

Only 6 wins - Seriously? We better win the first 4......so only 2 more wins the rest of the season with a good home schedule? Doubt that.

San Jose State was good this year but I believe they lose like 30+ seniors...Jerry Kill in year 3 will be good with this schedule. It is so nice to have a coach that knows how the hell to run a program!! I feel like next years team with that schedule should have a floor of 6 wins...no way in hell we have as many injuries to the O line as we did this year

Juarez. Walked over a couple of times when were there for the Sun Bowl. Daytime was fine.
Had a great time at the famous Kentucky Club.

Good luck then and go at your own risk. It has gotten progressively worse. I lived in Texas just a few years ago and traveled and worked some in El Paso and I would not go to Juarez today, anytime of day.

First game is during the State Fair wonder how that is going to work with the crew that tailgates and parks in St. Paul. Im a part of that group.

Good luck then and go at your own risk. It has gotten progressively worse. I lived in Texas just a few years ago and traveled and worked some in El Paso and I would not go to Juarez today, anytime of day.

Yup. Only 3 hours drive from ABQ (and the in-laws are there too). I plan on flying into ABQ and driving down. El Paso? No thanks. Drove there for the Sun Bowl against Oregon. Scary, and it's much worse now.

6-6 with B1G wins against Iowa and Indiana. Ohio St, Michigan, Nebraska and NU will be the top teams in the B1G.

Only 6 wins - Seriously? We better win the first 4......so only 2 more wins the rest of the season with a good home schedule? Doubt that.

As I said in my post if we do win 6 the only way I would see that as a success of any kind is if 3 of those 6 wins came in conference. If we go 4-0 in the NC schedule than 7 wins becomes the minimum win total for viewing the season as a success. In my mind we should be looking for the team to get to 3-5 in conference or better in year three as a positive sign that Kill has this thing going in a direction where the team will be relevant in the conference picture in the not too distant future. Another 2-6 would not bode well for the future of the program under Jerry Kill, wouldn't be the death nail but certainly would shorten the rope for year 4.

NU top team huh? C'mon that's crazy talk.
Yeah, a well-coached team that went 10-3, lost by a point to Nebraska, lost to Michigan in overtime and lost to PSU shouldn't be taken seriously. It's not like they return any offensive skill players either.

NMST will have a new coach as DeWayne Walker has resigned.

Yeah, a well-coached team that went 10-3, lost by a point to Nebraska, lost to Michigan in overtime and lost to PSU shouldn't be taken seriously. It's not like they return any offensive skill players either.

But but but....nerds.....and stuff..

Although we would want to the end result to surpass them right now Northwestern is a bar we should be trying to reach. Well coached team that has been fairly consistent playing with lower rated talent due to higher academic standards. 3 conference titles in the last 20 years and under Fitzgerald they have the feel of a program that could be on the verge of making another Big Ten Title run.

And, when you factor in that Duke made a bowl for the first time in ages, it's a veritable Nerdvana out there!

Here are my predictions.

TBA 08/29/13 vs. UNLV TCF Bank Stadium WIN
TBA 09/07/13 at New Mexico State Las Cruces, N.M. WIN
TBA 09/14/13 vs. Western Illinois TCF Bank Stadium WIN
TBA 09/21/13 vs. San Jose State TCF Bank Stadium Win
TBA 09/28/13 vs. Iowa * TCF Bank Stadium WIN
TBA 10/05/13 at Michigan * Ann Arbor, Mich. LOSS
TBA 10/19/13 at Northwestern * Evanston, Ill. Win
TBA 10/26/13 vs. Nebraska * TCF Bank Stadium LOSS
TBA 11/02/13 at Indiana * Bloomington, Ind. WIN
TBA 11/09/13 vs. Penn State *TCF Bank Stadium LOSS
TBA 11/23/13 vs. Wisconsin *TCF Bank Stadium WIN
TBA 11/30/13 at Michigan State * East Lansing, Mich. LOSS

I am sure I will get ripped for my picks, but think the Gophers will be improved and will throw up a fight to most of the BIG 10.

If we can pull this off (which is actually possible) I'd say Coach Kill has some serious job security here. What worries me is that we mess up one of those first 4 games and host Iowa at 3-1 with a lot of doubt surrounding the team. BUT I have a lot of hope in this 2013 team!

If we can pull this off (which is actually possible) I'd say Coach Kill has some serious job security here. What worries me is that we mess up one of those first 4 games and host Iowa at 3-1 with a lot of doubt surrounding the team. BUT I have a lot of hope in this 2013 team!

Yes, in past years we would have lost one of these first four games. Under Kill I have a hard time seeing a loss. That game vs Iowa could really be a fun one for a (5-0) start and the PIG. Maybe we could even fill our stadium...with mostly Gopher fans and not help from Iowa fans.

Yes, in past years we would have lost one of these first four games. Under Kill I have a hard time seeing a loss. That game vs Iowa could really be a fun one for a (5-0) start and the PIG. Maybe we could even fill our stadium...with mostly Gopher fans and not help from Iowa fans.

True, had a couple close calls early on in last year. The old gophers would have lost those tight games, but under Kill I feel like we win those.

I've thought about buying 5 sets of 4 tickets and selling them slightly over face value to Gopher fans and friends. Nothing erks me more than when we lose home field advantage because of opponents filling the stands. Espeeeeeecially Nebraska, my God. It's like there's nothing better to do in that state except for.....nevermind, their isn't.

Here are my predictions.

TBA 08/29/13 vs. UNLV TCF Bank Stadium WIN
TBA 09/07/13 at New Mexico State Las Cruces, N.M. WIN
TBA 09/14/13 vs. Western Illinois TCF Bank Stadium WIN
TBA 09/21/13 vs. San Jose State TCF Bank Stadium Win
TBA 09/28/13 vs. Iowa * TCF Bank Stadium WIN
TBA 10/05/13 at Michigan * Ann Arbor, Mich. LOSS
TBA 10/19/13 at Northwestern * Evanston, Ill. Win
TBA 10/26/13 vs. Nebraska * TCF Bank Stadium LOSS
TBA 11/02/13 at Indiana * Bloomington, Ind. WIN
TBA 11/09/13 vs. Penn State *TCF Bank Stadium LOSS
TBA 11/23/13 vs. Wisconsin *TCF Bank Stadium WIN
TBA 11/30/13 at Michigan State * East Lansing, Mich. LOSS

I am sure I will get ripped for my picks, but think the Gophers will be improved and will throw up a fight to most of the BIG 10.

Everybody is assuming that San Jose State is going to be a "W". Better check their record! They were a top 25 (#21 to be exact) team and had an 11 - 2 record. We will be heavy underdogs at home in this one and should be a real barometer of how the team is progressing.

Everybody is assuming that San Jose State is going to be a "W". Better check their record! They were a top 25 (#21 to be exact) team and had an 11 - 2 record. We will be heavy underdogs at home in this one and should be a real barometer of how the team is progressing.

I think it is far to early to really know what to expect from them next season. I agree there is a chance we may be an underdog if they look like they can sustain the success of this past season but I highly doubt we will be a heavy underdog given the game is at TCF. A quick look at an early season depth chart shows they lose 5 senior startes on defense including 3 in the secondary and another 4 on offense along with a few backups. Of the 4 non-conf games on the schedule this will clearly be the toughest test.

For me the magic number next year is 3. At least 3 wins out of conference and at least 3 wins in conference.....if we do that the season will be a success.

There's always a chance that SJSU will be just as good as they were last year, but they lost roughly a third of their team to graduation and will be breaking in a new head coach. There's almost zero chance they will be favored over the Gophers, especially since they play @ Stanford before they play us and they have almost zero chance of winning that game. We will almost certainly be 3-0, and they will almost certainly be 2-1 at best.

I can easily see a seven win season with loses to Michigan, Northwestern, Nebraska, Wisconsin and Penn State. Albeit, if you want to be better you have to go out there and beat one of these teams so I'm really looking forward to see if the Gophers can get the axe back or beat one of these times listed above. It would be nice to see more improvement and I think this year we'll see better performances by the Minnesota and Purdue.

Sidenote: I'd give anything to play you guys again at your place. I went to the school and only got to see TCF Banks stadium and it looks amazing. There is such a long period of time between 2010 and when we play again. Plus I like going to the twin cities. Sigh!

True, had a couple close calls early on in last year. The old gophers would have lost those tight games, but under Kill I feel like we win those.

I've thought about buying 5 sets of 4 tickets and selling them slightly over face value to Gopher fans and friends. Nothing erks me more than when we lose home field advantage because of opponents filling the stands. Espeeeeeecially Nebraska, my God. It's like there's nothing better to do in that state except for.....nevermind, their isn't.

Actually, the Nebraska fans that sat around myself were some of the better away fans that I have ever encountered. Very nice, friendly and complimentary of our team. Though I am pretty sure that they knew a W was a forgone conclusion.

It is really only bad when teams like Wisky, Iowa and NDSU have games here since there fans travel in droves and can act like complete a$$ bags the majority of the time.

Our first four (non-conference) opponents will have new head coaches. If we get off to a 4-0 start, hopefully we kick Iowa's azz and make it all but inevitable that they'll be on their way to finding a new head coach for the following season. I really enjoy having a stable coaching staff! Let's hope it stays that way for a long, long time!!

Go Gophers!

[/B]

Actually, the Nebraska fans that sat around myself were some of the better away fans that I have ever encountered. Very nice, friendly and complimentary of our team. Though I am pretty sure that they knew a W was a forgone conclusion.

It is really only bad when teams like Wisky, Iowa and NDSU have games here since there fans travel in droves and can act like complete a$$ bags the majority of the time.

Yea that's true. I was commenting on how well they travel. Maybe I just notice it more when we play nebraska because there's red everywhere. I suppose if MN didn't have one single pro sports team, all our efforts would be put behind the Gophers too.

I like this years schedule with great home games...So how about we can get off to a fast start at (4-0) and then take the Pig back at home. Maybe then losing three in a row to Mich, NW and Neb. Recovering by winning 3 out of last 4 and putting the Axe back in our trophy case at home. So (8-4) and a J1 Bowl game. C'mon....we can do that!

TBA 08/29/13 vs. UNLV TCF Bank Stadium
TBA 09/07/13 at New Mexico State Las Cruces, N.M.
TBA 09/14/13 vs. Western Illinois TCF Bank Stadium
TBA 09/21/13 vs. San Jose State TCF Bank Stadium
TBA 09/28/13 vs. Iowa * TCF Bank Stadium
TBA 10/05/13 at Michigan * Ann Arbor, Mich.
TBA 10/19/13 at Northwestern * Evanston, Ill.
TBA 10/26/13 vs. Nebraska * TCF Bank Stadium
TBA 11/02/13 at Indiana * Bloomington, Ind.
TBA 11/09/13 vs. Penn State *TCF Bank Stadium
TBA 11/23/13 vs. Wisconsin *TCF Bank Stadium
TBA 11/30/13 at Michigan State * East Lansing, Mich. TBA
I like the idea of a 4-0 start....BUT
I think our team next year will be no better than they were this year.
UNLV we barely beat.
New Mexico State beat us recently and it is on the road.
San Jose State is a really solid team.

I think we win all 3, but it is possible we could lose a game or two in there.

Our conference home schedule will be fun, but that also means our most winnable games are on the road. Which concerns me.

Will be an interesting year. I have heard even a few in the national media say we could be a surprising 8 win team next year, but honestly I will be kinda surprised if we get to 6.

Top Bottom