2012 Season

Reaction score
As excited as I am about the upcoming season, I am really worried. The team was 10th or worse in the Big Ten for all of the important statistical areas last year. So here is what scares me: we lose our leading rusher, only decent wide receiver, top 2 tight ends, best and most versatile lineman and 2 other starters on the line, our QB ran the ball well last year but is below 50% for his career throwing. Defensively, we lose our two top tacklers and two starting d tackles. Last year we not only lacked talent, but also depth.

I am not convinced that we have people in place that are better than what we lost. I would have loved to have seen one back emerge. Based on Coach Kill's comments, it does not appear that has happened. I have had doubts about Gillum from the start as his top game in JUCO was 163 yards. Seems to me a quality Big 10 back would have had a few 200 yard games competing against only freshman and sophomores, most of whom will not play 4 year football.

The same goes for the WR's. Coach Kill was very vague about the top WR's in his press conference, even mentioning AJ Barker, a name out of nowhere. I get nervous about playing 2 freshman. I was not impressed by Raabe last year and Goodger is an unknown.

His comments about being unsettled at o-line really scare me. Again, I had hoped that by now it would be clear cut. I think most teams have solidified their line by now but it sound like we are far from that with Mottla, Epping, and Christenson. Plus, I have to imagine, since they are having difficulty determine who will start, we are not very deep.

Defensively, one of my big concerns is all of the changing positions. Wells, for example, will be a first year starter playing a new position next to another player also playing a new position. I know many are high on Hagemann, but he is on his third position and, let's face it, he has not made much of an impact in his career so far. Manuel and Rallis are playing new positions. And then there is the matter of a pass rush. We had more sacks last year, which is good. But the spike in sacks came from linebackers and d-backs. We need the d-ends to create a pass rush. And am I the only one disappointed to see Michael Carter starting? Haven't we been down this road before? I was hoping Kill would have brought in someone to replace him. I also have concerns about the kicking game.

I know it is not popular to question anything on this board, but does anyone else share these concerns?

I guess you covered everything. You mentioned every position. Based on your opinions, we will be lucky to win a game.

All fair questions, but I don't think that things are as bleak as all that. I always smile when I hear this line of reasoning: "We sucked last year, and we lost a bunch of players from that lousy team. Now we're gonna suck even worse!" Anybody ever heard of upgrading?

What I can't figure out is, why hasn't anyone accused you of being a Badger troll yet? Gopher fans are usually right on top of that. They must be slipping.

Hey 3399..."as excited as I am about the upcoming season"! You are one sad person!

BTW...I don't want you as my salesman! Stay home, cause you are a zero!

Wow! We must suck!

You do realize that pretty much every team in the country loses some combination of their best receivers, rushers, tacklers, and linemen every single year, right?

I know it is not popular to question anything on this board, but does anyone else share these concerns?

Yep. On paper this isn't a good football team. Luckily the more talented team doesn't always win the game.

There is always hope and that hope for me is that we have one damn good coach on the side lines this fall!

3399...Do you have photo's in your den of like The Hindenburg , Lusitania , Hurricane Katrina , Michael Dukakis, Titanic, etc.?

The first thing I would do as a coach before a game is tip my hand. No sense in deceiving anyone, let alone keeping the edge on competition for positions. I would also shatter expectations and tell kids they have no chance to see the field.

Kill has said we are young and young teams do make mistakes....however, we are also in year two of the Kill project and the kids are seeing and hearing the same messages, going through the same routines, working the same playbook, etc. There is a difference on the plus side after watching both teams practice. This year's team is faster and in my mind's eye better. How this translates against our schedule...we will have to see. Enjoy the season!

In less than 5 days we'll have an idea of what answers we have and what we do not. At this point the die is cast and we just have to wait so get over it and enjoy the game.

I had the BEST day of my life! My wife left me for my best friend, lost my job, and my dog got hit by a car.

Just young, that's all. This team is built for 2013 (and beyond, really).

Still no seniors on the O-Line, first and foremost. Same with the D-Line, with the exception of Wilhite, who will likely be a rotational player. That's just plain a lot of youth and inexperience at positions that are typically dominated by grown men.

This year I'm just going to enjoy the ride, watch the team improve and compete, and evolve towards the future.

What a depressing thread....Oh well Thursday is almost here!

3399=0000 Simple math. Stop feeding the troll.

I you sure you didn't mean "cheesy" thread. It has all the makings of a Wisconsin troll comment including the red sauce.

I knew it was coming, just wondered how long it would take. Congratulations, Killjoy - you win the prize!

Just young, that's all. This team is built for 2013 (and beyond, really).

This year I'm just going to enjoy the ride, watch the team improve and compete, and evolve towards the future.

+1 If you want to enjoy Gopher football this fall I can't think of any better advice. Who knows how many games they are going to win in 2012? I sure don't. My expectations for 2012 is that they are going to get better as the season progresses and that they will be better than they were in 2011. Then in 2013 we will have a much stronger and mature team. This is a journey, not a sprint. What is important is that we have the right coaching staff in place. That why I not going to react ever bump in the road but I am going to enjoy the journey.

Hey don't worry, Thirty-THREE, you'll get plenty of chances to whine and troll through out the year!

I can understand why people are pessimistic. The team hasn't been competitive. Plus it's easy to predict failure. I am sure once we stumble we'll hear about it ad nauseum from the geniuses. It's a young team for sure. If it were packed with upper classmen then we'd hear about how terrible they are and there is no hope they will improve. This 3399 obviously can't stand anything positive being written or spoken about the gophers.

I can understand why people are pessimistic. The team hasn't been competitive. Plus it's easy to predict failure. I am sure once we stumble we'll hear about it ad nauseum from the geniuses. It's a young team for sure. If it were packed with upper classmen then we'd hear about how terrible they are and there is no hope they will improve. This 3399 obviously can't stand anything positive being written or spoken about the gophers.

Not fair, you read his previous posts! :cool:

You could write a equally negative post about every team in the B1G if you wanted to. Every team has graduation losses - every team has issues.

3399 CHOSE to take the most negative outlook on every issue.

You could just as easily turn around and come up with a post that takes the most optimistic outlook possible.

The truth will probably lie somewhere in the middle. During the course of the season, there will be areas and players who disappoint, and there will be areas and players who turn out to be pleasant surprises. But to come out before a single game has been played with a wet-blanket post indicates (to me, at least), that 3399 is one of those fans who comes out and predicts the worst. Then, if things go bad, he can say "I told you so."

There is a reason every pre season preview I have seen pick us last again. Nobody wants to see it now but this team has an 0-8 feel to it when you look at our schedule.

There is a reason every pre season preview I have seen pick us last again. Nobody wants to see it now but this team has an 0-8 feel to it when you look at our schedule.
Seriously??? LOL.....Fool.

I am cautiously optimistic about this season. When you look at Kill's track record, there is usually a 1 win improvement between years 1 and 2. I think we'll be better than 4-8, but we will see.

Some guy opens a new thread with total pessimism and you people fall for it by responding to it. He/She gets the attention he/she is lacking in life, and is happy as a lark. The best way to change negative behavior of a little person in a case like this is to ignore it and give him/her no attention. Ignore him/her.

I have a better feeling about this team this Season then years prior. I think we'll win at least 2 games we're not picked to win & hopefully one of those will be a major upset...

We are going to lose alot in everything

Some guy opens a new thread with total pessimism and you people fall for it by responding to it. He/She gets the attention he/she is lacking in life, and is happy as a lark. The best way to change negative behavior of a little person in a case like this is to ignore it and give him/her no attention. Ignore him/her.

I think every team in this state, including pro, college, high school, middle school and elementary teams in every sport are going to have a bad year. There is no hope. Every team will go 0-8, except those teams that play less or more than that. Trust me because I am a faceless individual on an internet board who can see the future and it's not going to be a good one. Most importatly, Please do not ignore me.

3399 has listed true issues, but the good news is there is a lot more speed and athletic ability on the field than last season. The question is just how soon they will make plays like experienced players. If we can catch the ball consistently, and cover on third downs, I think we'll be alright. We'll do as well in the preseason as the WR and DBs do.

Top Bottom