2011 recruit visits today

JohnnyGopher

Reaction score
I will have to track down his name as i forgot it but we had a 2011 recruit and his dad in for an unofficial visit today. He is from New Jersey. Has a bunch of offers from smaller east coast schools. Conflicting information on a possible MN offer although I would lean toward No at this time. Looked to be around 6'2 or 6'3.

Rob Poole

His name is Rob Poole and ESPN doesn't even have information about him as a prospect. Anybody know anything about this kid?

One Of The Top Jrs In NJ (Per NJ Recruiting Website)

... Rob Poole, 2011, SF, 6'5, Paul VI, uncommitted - the wing has nice size, is an above-average athlete, and he can really shoot the trey ...

Thanks for the update guys...scout.com doesn't have much on him but confirmed that he attended the SDSU game over the weekend. Apparently he has received scholarship offers from Fairfield, Delaware, New Hampshire, Monmouth, Rider and Hartford and is hearing from Penn, Penn State and Minnesota.

I assume

Mr. Poole will be at Williams tonight. Always good to show a recruit the Barn with a good crowd in it. I hope he enjoys it.

Thanks for the update guys...scout.com doesn't have much on him but confirmed that he attended the SDSU game over the weekend. Apparently he has received scholarship offers from Fairfield, Delaware, New Hampshire, Monmouth, Rider and Hartford and is hearing from Penn, Penn State and Minnesota.

What? Why is Minnesota reaching for a kid that has interest from Monmouth, Delaware, Fairfield and Rider!? Is it because he can shoot the 3? If you can't win in the Big 10 with 3-star recruits, then how the hell are you supposed to win with UNRANKED recruits. I trust Tubby, but forgive me if I'm a little skeptical. I'd hate to see who Ohio State and Michigan State have targeted for 2011. Probably not kids with interest from Monmouth...
If he wants a kid who can shoot, why not go after Jordan Smith of Orono? He's right in Minnesota's back yard!

BigGopherfan,

Remember it is an unofficial visit. That means the recruit is paying for it. I suspect alot of recruits do this in hopes of getting exposure. Note that there is not yet an offer on the table but good recruiters always put on a nice visit in case the kid blows up. Can the kid work out while he is here on an unofficial? If so good chance to see up close and personal.

Wow, you should help the team recruit with that logic.

What? Why is Minnesota reaching for a kid that has interest from Monmouth, Delaware, Fairfield and Rider!? Is it because he can shoot the 3? If you can't win in the Big 10 with 3-star recruits, then how the hell are you supposed to win with UNRANKED recruits. I trust Tubby, but forgive me if I'm a little skeptical. I'd hate to see who Ohio State and Michigan State have targeted for 2011. Probably not kids with interest from Monmouth...
If he wants a kid who can shoot, why not go after Jordan Smith of Orono? He's right in Minnesota's back yard!

BigGopherfan,

Remember it is an unofficial visit. That means the recruit is paying for it. I suspect alot of recruits do this in hopes of getting exposure. Note that there is not yet an offer on the table but good recruiters always put on a nice visit in case the kid blows up. Can the kid work out while he is here on an unofficial? If so good chance to see up close and personal.

Correct - lots of unofficial visits are the RECRUITS' idea, not the coaches.

MN asked this kid out here and they are going to watch him closely. Tubby has never seen him play so until he does, we won't know if he will get offered. He looked to be having a great time joking with Tubby and Jirsa during the football game although there is no way he is 6'5. It's way,way to early to start complaining about who had offered a certian prospect or what is he ranked. that stuff will play out over the summer but I would hope we wouldn't wait to hear someone else's opinion on a recuit before we decide who we go after.

Indiana already has a two COMMITMENTS from 4-star players for 2011...
Michign State already has a COMMITMENT from a 4-star player for 2011...
Michigan already has a COMMITMENT from a 4-star player for 2011...

I'm just saying...

Though it sounds weird to say, it really isn't that early for 2011 kids. Offers are going out earlier and earlier, and these guys are now in the junior years of HS. If schools aren't offering some of these guys now, they are falling behind the competition.

To the list above, you can add two very good commits for Illinois, whose recruiting looks to be putting them back on top in the conference. Wisconsin has a commit from a 2011 forward out of Illinois, and made two more 2011 offers this past weekend. One of those offers went to Traevon Jackson, a 6'2" guard from Ohio, who is the son of former Ohio St. great Jim Jackson.

Jim Jackson already has a kid who is a Junior in high school. Wow where does the time go.

Like I said before, I doubt any of the commitments above were choosing between Monmouth, Delaware and Rider...
Tubby gets things done late though. No need to panic, just wonder a little bit.

Like I said before, I doubt any of the commitments above were choosing between Monmouth, Delaware and Rider...
Tubby gets things done late though. No need to panic, just wonder a little bit.

Chill out man Tubby hasn't even offered him yet and if I'm not mistaken a lot of players get their best offers the AAU season after their junior year, so who's to say he won't start getting a lot of high major attention and offers then?

It's not like we don't have offers out there to players who are up to your standards. I don't see any problem with talking to a kid who isn't necessarily a top recruit as of now. People are freaking out all of a sudden about not having commits from 4 and 5* players for 2011 yet. We haven't even finished our 2010 class yet.

Look at where our team was a few years ago. You can't just expect 5* juniors in high school to commit here because we had a decent year last year. I'm sure Tubby will end up with a fine recruiting class. Relax.

Excellent points by all. I guess I'm just a little aggravated by the 2010 class that doesn't include a commitment in the top 150. I know Joseph is still on the radar, but if he wanted to be a Gopher, he would have already signed I believe. It's also disturbing to see so many other Big 10 schools with 4/5 star commitments for 2010 and 2011 and Minnesota has none! I'm not OK with just settling for a "decent" recruiting class.

Excellent points by all. I guess I'm just a little aggravated by the 2010 class that doesn't include a commitment in the top 150. I know Joseph is still on the radar, but if he wanted to be a Gopher, he would have already signed I believe. It's also disturbing to see so many other Big 10 schools with 4/5 star commitments for 2010 and 2011 and Minnesota has none! I'm not OK with just settling for a "decent" recruiting class.

Hollins is ranked #132 by Bob Gibbons (All-Star Sports).

Eliason was Gatorade POY (in Nebraska) last year.

Both are well regarded as recruits, if not by you.

MN asked this kid out here and they are going to watch him closely. Tubby has never seen him play so until he does, we won't know if he will get offered. He looked to be having a great time joking with Tubby and Jirsa during the football game although there is no way he is 6'5. It's way,way to early to start complaining about who had offered a certian prospect or what is he ranked. that stuff will play out over the summer but I would hope we wouldn't wait to hear someone else's opinion on a recuit before we decide who we go after.

The NJ Recruiting website called him 6-5 but other sites list him as 6-3 or 6-4.

With two years to gain weight and improve his game he could easily be a 4 star recruit, you just never know.

Hollins is ranked #132 by Bob Gibbons (All-Star Sports).

Eliason was Gatorade POY (in Nebraska) last year.

Both are well regarded as recruits, if not by you.

OK, I never said anything bad about Ellianson or Hollins, but if you compare Minnesota's recruiting class to the top 5/6 teams in the Big 10, it doesn't even compare. I don't think we should be bragging about inking 132nd-rated recruit as the centerpiece of the class. I think Hollins and/or Elliason could become fine players someday, and obviously Tubby knows what he's doing, but Minnesota will have HUGE holes to fill next season without Westbrook and Johnson.

OK, I never said anything bad about Ellianson or Hollins, but if you compare Minnesota's recruiting class to the top 5/6 teams in the Big 10, it doesn't even compare. I don't think we should be bragging about inking 132nd-rated recruit as the centerpiece of the class. I think Hollins and/or Elliason could become fine players someday, and obviously Tubby knows what he's doing, but Minnesota will have HUGE holes to fill next season without Westbrook and Johnson.

Uh, no they won't have HUGE holes. Perhaps you haven't heard of players such as Devoe Joseph, Rodney Williams, Blake Hoffarber, each of whom can play SG. And Johnson, while he brings tremendous defensive intensity and hustle, is not exactly your prototypical SF or PF; many can fill his role too. Even with the potential losses of White and Mbakwe, the roster is still in pretty good shape again next year. It is doubtful that a freshman will assume one of those roles, anyway.

Well it's a good thing we have Paul Carter and Rodney Williams to fill Damian's spot and Devoe to fill Westbrook's. We're arguably the deepest team in the Big Ten with lots of young talent and guys like Cory Joseph strongly considering us. Not the least bit nervous over here, but we can all tell you're on the verge of having a panic attack for no apparent reason. What's your preferred pharmacy? I have a doctor on the line eager to prescribe you a chill pill.

Uh, no they won't have HUGE holes. Perhaps you haven't heard of players such as Devoe Joseph, Rodney Williams, Blake Hoffarber, each of whom can play SG. And Johnson, while he brings tremendous defensive intensity and hustle, is not exactly your prototypical SF or PF; many can fill his role too. Even with the potential losses of White and Mbakwe, the roster is still in pretty good shape again next year. It is doubtful that a freshman will assume one of those roles, anyway.

If Minnesota doesn't have Johnson, Westbrook, White or Mbakwe next season, the program will take a step back. Johnson is the heart and soul of this team, no one will argue that. Westbrook will be the leading scorer. Let's say the pair combines to average 25 points, 10 rebounds and 7 assists per game this season. That's a huge hole!
Why do you assume that a freshman can't come in and contribute right away?
Let's just enjoy this season to the fullest and agree to disagree. There is nothing wrong with that.

Well it's a good thing we have Paul Carter and Rodney Williams to fill Damian's spot and Devoe to fill Westbrook's. We're arguably the deepest team in the Big Ten with lots of young talent and guys like Cory Joseph strongly considering us. Not the least bit nervous over here, but we can all tell you're on the verge of having a panic attack for no apparent reason. What's your preferred pharmacy? I have a doctor on the line eager to prescribe you a chill pill.

Why? I'm allowed to have my opinion and you're allowed to have yours. No need to hurl insults like that. I don't know why you assume I need medication for expressing an opinion that's not "Rah, rah" Gophers. This is a discussion board, not a Gopher slob-fest.

The majority of current Gophers were not Top 150 ranked, namely Damian Johnson, Justin Cobbs, Paul Carter, Devron Bostick, Al Nolen, Dominique Dawson ... why does it matter?

Hollins has tremendous potential to be a fine player NEXT season. Eliason will probably redshirt.

Our recruiting class last year was as good as anyone's (yes, I know it doesn't look as great right now), and this year's class still isn't done so you can't say we're bragging about "inking a 132nd-rated recruit as the centerpiece of the class". I agree that we are losing our two best players but I think you're forgetting about the importance of chemistry, meaning the other players have all gotten significant playing time together, and just the experience of playing and improving. I don't see why our players won't keep improving and pick up the slack for the 2 players we're losing.

Rob Harrington from Prepstars has Austin Hollins at #70.

Just because Rivals doesn't think he's a top 150 recruit means little. Gibbons and Harrington both disagree. Rivals has problems with their BB recruiting analysis.

Remember that Rivals was basically alone in their assessment of Rodney Williams and they sure look like idiots right now with that evaluation while everyone else in the industry saw him as a top 40 prospect.

I'm allowed to have my opinion and (others) are allowed to have (theirs).
Couldn't agree more ... but I'm having a hard time discerning what your opinion really is. For example, three comments you've made in this thread are either classical passive-aggressive criticism or indicative of a wavering opinion:

• I trust Tubby, but forgive me if I'm a little skeptical.
  • Tubby gets things done late though. No need to panic, just wonder a little bit
  • obviously Tubby knows what he's doing, but ...

I'm getting whiplash just trying to follow the compliment which is then snatched away immediately after it's given. ... :rolleyes:

Top Bottom