2010 Recruit Ricky Kreklow

Blizzard

Reaction score
Rock Bridge star Ricky Kreklow is another player you can add to the recruiting list of Tubby Smith and his Gopher staff. The 6-foot-5, 185 pound Kreklow is considered one of the most talented shooters and passers in...

You have to be a Rivals member to see the rest. I'm not. :)

hey Blizz

does this mean Tubby is recruiting him or just that he should be recruiting him?

I'm going to play finish the Rivals into, ready:

Rock Bridge star Ricky Kreklow is another player you can add to the recruiting list of Tubby Smith and his Gopher staff. The 6-foot-5, 185 pound Kreklow is considered one of the most talented shooters and passers in all the land. Bring him all your finest meats and cheeses...

His dad,

Wayne Kreklow, has a ring from the 1981 Celtics team. Wayne and his wife Susan both coach volleyball at Mizzou.

per scout.com:

The difficult decision Ricky Kreklow has to make about his college destination in the coming months will ultimately come down to one thing: will the junior swingman from Rock Bridge High School in Columbia, Mo., stay and play for the hometown Missouri Tigers or will he leave?

The 6-foot-5 shooting guard, who helped the Rock Bridge Bruins to a 28-3 record this season and a third-place finish at the Missouri Class 5 state championship tournament recently, has a growing list of schools recruiting him.
“Right now I have offers from mostly Missouri Valley schools right now: Creighton, Missouri State, Mizzou, Saint Louis and Southern Illinois,” he said. “I’m getting a lot of interest from K-State and Minnesota. It’s mostly just right now a lot of mass letters and stuff.”

Kreklow knows plenty about the Missouri program.

His parents, Wayne and Susan Kreklow, are the head coach and director of volleyball operations, respectively, for the University of Missouri women's volleyball team.

He has also watched Mike Anderson turn the Tigers into a 31-win team that will be playing Saturday for a chance to go to the Final Four.

While he ultimately may end up suiting up for Mizzou, that decision to stay home and become a Tiger is not exactly an easy one.

“It can almost work two ways,” Kreklow said. “It’s great because I love the guys here and I love the program. But also you almost want to get away from home a little bit. You want to get the real college experience, kind of going out and being more independent, not just being right here.”

Kreklow, who will play with KC Pump N Run again this summer, seems to have a good idea of what he is looking for in a college program.

“I want to play for kind of a high-major program,” he said. “That’s kind of my goal. Just to play for a big-time program, but to have a great time. Have really good guys with the program, because that’s going to be your family for the next four years, seeing them every day. So you have to enjoy the people that work there, enjoy your teammates and also fan base. No matter what’s going on you are still going to have support throughout the whole thing. Of course, also academics. With a college education you’re going to get a good education overall, but that’s kind of what I’m looking for.”

The college coaches looking to add Kreklow to their programs see a skilled swingman who can shoot the ball from anywhere on the court and has advanced feel for the game.

There’s a good chance that has been passed down from Kreklow’s father, Wayne, who was an All-American basketball player at Drake University and played on the Boston Celtics' 1980-81 championship team.

The junior swingman had a productive high school season that came to an abrupt halt because of an ankle injury.

Kreklow averaged 13.7 points per game through the district round of the playoffs — which ranked second on the Bruins behind 6-8 Toledo signee Jordan Dressler — but after Rock Bridge lost in the state semifinals to Chaminade, he didn’t want to risk further damage to the ankle by playing in the third-place game the next day.

Kreklow will be one of the key components on a Bruins squad that should be again one of the top teams in the Show-Me State next season.

Rock Bridge will return three starters, including point guard Justin Miller and Division I linebacker prospect Trey Millard. Miller will be a junior next year, while Millard like Kreklow will be a senior.

From the Scout messageboard earlier today -

Ricky Kreklow, a 6-6 SF from Columbia (MO) Rock Bridge is on campus visiting today. He'll be playing with KC Pump 'N Run in this weekend's Sabes Invitational

Eric Bossi
Scout.com, recruiting analyst
[email protected]

per gopher illustrated

"Coach Ron Jirsa was at our school twice in the fall and has been in contact with us all season long," said coach Jim Scanlon. "Ricky is playing in an AAU tourney in Minnesota this weekend. I believe he plans to visit the University of Minnesota on the way. I believe there is strong interest both ways."

Ricky Kreklow has a Minnesota connection, he is related to the Kreklow's who played basketball at Blaine(Ben and John) and then the family moved to Delano last year and recently there sister Molly Kreklow, a volleyball standout, committed to Missouri over the U to play for her aunt and uncle. The dad's are brothers so Ricky would have his aunt and uncle and some cousins in Minnesota should he choose to come here. Ben and John Kreklow, Ricky's cousins, currently play basketball at South Dakota.

Ricky Kreklow has a Minnesota connection, he is related to the Kreklow's who played basketball at Blaine(Ben and John) and then the family moved to Delano last year and recently there sister Molly Kreklow, a volleyball standout, committed to Missouri over the U to play for her aunt and uncle. The dad's are brothers so Ricky would have his aunt and uncle and some cousins in Minnesota should he choose to come here. Ben and John Kreklow, Ricky's cousins, currently play basketball at South Dakota.

I was really hoping Molly would sign with the Gophers. She's one of the setters for the US junior National team, and plays there with two gophers committs--Ashley Wittman and Tori Dixon. But I'm not entirely sure we had room for her.

I knew Wayne a little when we went to college together. Memories fade, but the descriptions of ricky--great shooter and passer, good court sense--remind me of his Dad. Quite a bit like Hoffarber. I don't remember Wayne being all that quick, and if that's equally true of Ricky, I wonder how well that fits into Tubby's scheme.

My sense is that that between Jacob Thomas and Ricky, there's only one schollie available, but of course I have no insider knowledge.

Sounds like the coaching staff is very astute in sizing up which kids we might have a shot with and what the connections are with those kids. That's why they are the pros, I guess.

Fun to hear the kid looks at the big picture and wants to be a part of a family for four years. If he can play, bring him in.

On an OT note...

KoolAid said,
Rock Bridge star Ricky Kreklow is another player you can add to the recruiting list of Tubby Smith and his Gopher staff. The 6-foot-5, 185 pound Kreklow is considered one of the most talented shooters and passers in all the land. Bring him all your finest meats and cheeses...

Now that is a good post!

If I had to make the call, and this is a snap judgment mind you, I would bring the young man a slow cooked roast of lamb with a wheel of mild gruyere. (To hedge my bets, I would have a salted ham and an aged cheddar in the trunk in case he doesn't bite on the lamb.)

Top Bottom