12-team college football postseason officially approved

So is it still selected by a committee or are we allocating spots to conferences?

If they don't make at least the first round at the higher seed then it significantly devalues the regular season.

I really hope all playoffs games aren't bowl games.

So is it still selected by a committee or are we allocating spots to conferences?

so, based on what I read - this new agreement was made by a group of College Presidents. if what is being reported is correct, they are simply agreeing that the playoffs will expand to 12 teams.

the details and format then will have to be determined by the Conference commissioners.

apparently, the Presidents' group - the Board of Managers - basically got ticked off that the Commissioners could not reach an agreement. the Presidents want the expanded playoff because --- huge shock -- MONEY!!!! as in more TV money for the expanded playoffs.

so this is the Presidents telling the Commissioners to get their thumbs out of their butts and get to work.

at least, that is how I understand it based on what I've read.

What they are asking the commissioners to do is the 6 conference champions and 6 at-large.

This kills the emerging super-conference model. And it completely ends any further conference realignment (or serious discussion of ND joining a conference).

Also, the price for money games with G5 schools probably just tripled.

This is catastrophic for the schools in The Big Ten, besides Ohio State, Michigan and (maybe) Penn State.

This is catastrophic for the schools in The Big Ten, besides Ohio State, Michigan and (maybe) Penn State.
It's more catastrophic to early-season viewing. No one is going to give a rat's ass about games like we have this weekend (Oregon/Georgia, tOSU/ND, etc.) because losing the game won't mean anything now. The consequences for your first loss are no longer going to be felt in Sept or Oct or Nov, now the consequences for your first loss will only be in December.

Sayonara to "every Saturday matters". "December Saturdays matter!!!"

Hopefully:
Automatic qualifying criteria for conference champs
Objective criteria to fill in the rest

If you do it right, the makes more games in the regular season meaningful
If you do it wrong (12 at larges picked by committee) you risk breaking the sport.

What they are asking the commissioners to do is the 6 conference champions and 6 at-large.

This kills the emerging super-conference model. And it completely ends any further conference realignment (or serious discussion of ND joining a conference).

I’m not sure it kills notre dame joining a conference. If you need to be a conference champ to be top 4 seeds and there are 2 super conferences…..

If 6 conference champs and 6 at largest. 5/6 at larges will be SEC or big ten every year. Notre dame pretty much will have to go unbeaten to make it. And even then they are going to be going on the road in the round of 8.

Not sure why this is catastrophic for schools in the big ten either?
The big ten is going to get 2-4 schools in the playoff every year.

If 6 conference champs and 6 at largest. 5/6 at larges will be SEC or big ten every year. Notre dame pretty much will have to go unbeaten to make it. And even then they are going to be going on the road in the round of 8.
No. Just check the CFP rankings. The 6+6 format roughly doubles their number of appearances. And that’s why they support the expanded model more than just about anyone.

No. Just check the CFP rankings. The 6+6 format roughly doubles their number of appearances. And that’s why they support the expanded model more than just about anyone.
The ranking aren’t going to look the same post Texas, USC, and Oklahoma departures IMO

It is going to be harder for notre dame to get the SOS to compete with the 2-5th place teams in the two major conferences

So I disagree with you

Highly doubt if it is 6 conference champs. Can't see conferences like the B12 or Pac12 getting the same representation in the playoffs as the B1G and SEC. Three quarter of the top 12 ranked teams in the country will be in the B1G and SEC.

It's more catastrophic to early-season viewing. No one is going to give a rat's ass about games like we have this weekend (Oregon/Georgia, tOSU/ND, etc.) because losing the game won't mean anything now. The consequences for your first loss are no longer going to be felt in Sept or Oct or Nov, now the consequences for your first loss will only be in December.

You're assuming fans care about big non-con match ups only by how it affects teams poll standings. Don't think that's true. Those are still big games.

Change is always difficult for some people.
I presume the six conference champions will get a bye the first round of games.
I hope this does not do away with bowl games for those not in the chosen 12.
The fans and players like the games and it gives coaches some extra time to evaluate players who were not starters but will replacing graduating players.
If this makes it harder for ND to make the playoff I am all for it.

In my opinion, a true playoff would have the champion of each conference make the playoffs with 2 byes.

You could really say that is potentially the case now (other than maybe ND). If those teams lost in week 1, they still probably get in if they run the table.

Having 12 teams instead of 8 or 16 does create the advantage of a bye week for the top 4. That certainly has to be a big deal.

So you basically should have uniform conferences then with the same number of teams in each.

You could really say that is potentially the case now (other than maybe ND). If those teams lost in week 1, they still probably get in if they run the table.

Having 12 teams instead of 8 or 16 does create the advantage of a bye week for the top 4. That certainly has to be a big deal.
The entire calendar makes things change. Alabama playing a first round game 7 days after SEC title game loss is much more likely to lose to a lower ranked team then them playing a team with three weeks of prep.

If it’s last week = thanksgiving
First week of dec = conference title weekend
Second week of dec = round of 12

Weekend before Christmas = round of 8
Much more likely to see upsets in those first two rounds without the time off.

Hard to fool a team who has 3-4 weeks to prep you. More possible in 6-13 days

ND will get inany year they reach 10 wins. And they know it. That’s the whole reason they’ve been lobbying so hard for expansion. This solves all of their problems.

Unless of course the Big Ten and SEC break away and form a different league.

Top 4 get byes.

5-12 play at the higher seed. I want Bama at The Brickhouse in December.

Getting the bye is a major advantage.

Personally.....I see a potential disadvantage for the Big Ten here. Sounds like the quarterfinals will take place at the higher seeded team (or a dome/indoor stadium of their choice?). Seeing as how these games will be taking place around the new year....it's far more likely that Big Ten teams further north are going to be less likely to take advantage of home field due to weather restraints.

Change is always difficult for some people.
I presume the six conference champions will get a bye the first round of games.
I hope this does not do away with bowl games for those not in the chosen 12.
The fans and players like the games and it gives coaches some extra time to evaluate players who were not starters but will replacing graduating players.
They won't get rid of bowl games. That is more money for the conference's.

Maybe this is why we are moving to the BIG12 odds are high we get an autobid lol

If the creation of super conferences causes the collapse of the Big 12, Pac 12 or ACC, I suppose they might need to reduce the top 6 conference champion auto bids at some point. I like the first-round bye for the top 4 and the potential to play at the highest ranked team for 5-12. Notre Dame would never get a first-round bye in that set up unless they join a conference.

If they don't make at least the first round at the higher seed then it significantly devalues the regular season.

I really hope all playoffs games aren't bowl games.
They're leaving the details for the commissioners to figure out.

This was basically the adults saying "now children, play nice and stop being stupid". The adults weren't going to let it not happen at all, due to childish squabbling.

That said, the easiest thing -- probably -- is going to be to base it on the proposal that the working committee put out last summer.

That had the top 4 seeds getting byes and then the first round being hosted at the higher seed, with matchups like 5 vs 12, 6 vs 11, etc.

Then I assume the NY6 would host the quarter-finals and semi-finals. That is still to be hammered out. The Rose Bowl is not likely to budge off its NYD time slot.

Top Bottom