12/27 - Rashad Vaughn will NOT attend the U

Status
Not open for further replies.
Just once I'd like to hear that a local recruit "dreams about representing the home school". Obviously there are other factors but Vaughn to MN makes so much sense in a lot of ways. UNLV looks like a disaster.

So you wouldn't be interested in one of the 500 Rashad Vaughn Gopher jerseys I just ordered then ... ?

Count me in! Those would be rare and in fifty years I could sell them for a huge profit.

Hopefully RV has been paying attention to the Gophers games. They are going to be a fun team to watch and he would fit in well. Watching him and Andre play next to one another would be great.

Oh, and UNLV has looked terrible.

This is the guy who first switched his prediction for Reid to Stanford...

http://www.cbssports.com/collegebas...aking-down-the-top-uncommitted-2014-prospects

7. Rashad Vaughn (No. 13 overall)

At first, it looked like North Carolina and Kentucky were the big hitters for Vaughn. As it's progressed, though, Iowa State and UNLV emerged as the favorites, with Baylor in there. Vaughn visits Iowa State and UNLV this month.

Considering: UNLV, Iowa State, Baylor, North Carolina, Minnesota, Kansas, Arizona
Crystal Ball: 38 predictions – Iowa State (42%), UNLV (37%), North Carolina (13%), Minnesota (5%), Kentucky (3%)
Prediction: Iowa State

I remember thinking after the Reid debacle id never get my hopes up nor follow a recruit like that again.

Less than a week later ... IT'S RASHAD VAUGHN TIME! I'm all in!

Okay, one more time but that's it.:cool02:

Rumor has it Vaughn of the top "three" is the most likely to play for Minnesota. She said, I am hopeful but not expecting it.

Rumor has it Vaughn of the top "three" is the most likely to play for Minnesota. She said, I am hopeful but not expecting it.

Could a swore exact same thing was said about Reid.

Could a swore exact same thing was said about Reid.

Going by what Guy Fawkes said, it seems quite possible that he was leaning toward Minnesota and his family talked him out of it.

I don't think you understand how much time he has spent on the UofM campus the past several years.

No I do. Vaughn isn't the first elite prospect to have grown up near a campus though. No elite prospect has ever committed to the hometown school after taking 5 official visits outside the state. It's the same situation Wisconsin was facing with Kevon Looney. If a kid doesn't use an official on you, he ain't truly interested.

If a kid doesn't use an official on you, he ain't truly interested.

I believe he was and is truly interested.

I also feel it would be in insult not to get an official from him, even if he spent tons of time on campus with his cousin Rodney.

I believe he was and is truly interested.

I also feel it would be in insult not to get an official from him, even if he spent tons of time on campus with his cousin Rodney.

I remember hearing this before and I don't believe it's true that Rashad and Rodney are related.

Rodney and Rashad are NOT related. They just went to the same school and are friends.

No I do. Vaughn isn't the first elite prospect to have grown up near a campus though. No elite prospect has ever committed to the hometown school after taking 5 official visits outside the state. It's the same situation Wisconsin was facing with Kevon Looney. If a kid doesn't use an official on you, he ain't truly interested.

Certainly doesn't happen often but it has happened. Here is one example: http://sports.yahoo.com/basketballr...hols-111627;_ylt=AsdV2e6_xGvIpZNLLIKnizzVO5B4

Although, if you're going to split hairs not all 5 officials were out of the state of Tennessee

Certainly doesn't happen often but it has happened. Here is one example: http://sports.yahoo.com/basketballr...hols-111627;_ylt=AsdV2e6_xGvIpZNLLIKnizzVO5B4

Although, if you're going to split hairs not all 5 officials were out of the state of Tennessee

Finally someone was able to find an example of that happening. I figured it had happened before, but no one I've talked to has been able to come up with an example. So there is a chance, albeit very small.

Well considering one has already committed elsewhere and another is about to commit elsewhere, then it's safe to say Vaughn's our best shot :)

Vaughn felt neglected by the local hoop followers. No Metro player of the year honors like Travis and Jones plus Cooper lower profile then D and Apple Valley. Announcing for The U will elevate him to top dog status in the eyes of Mn Basketball fans

Serious question: If he's truly a one-and-done, does it really matter which college he attends? Aren't NBA scouts pretty smart?

per Sid:

• Iowa State men’s basketball coach Fred Hoiberg, the former Timberwolves player and assistant general manager, will have two Minnesota recruits in Ames on Sunday when his Cyclones play Michigan. They are former Cooper standout Rashad Vaughn, ESPN’s No. 17-ranked prospect in the Class of 2014 who is playing in Las Vegas, and Gran Rapids’ Alex Illikainen, ESPN’s No. 55 recruit in the Class of 2015.

http://www.startribune.com/sports/vikings/231833661.html?page=all&prepage=1&c=y#continue

Go Gophers!!

per Sid:

• Iowa State men’s basketball coach Fred Hoiberg, the former Timberwolves player and assistant general manager, will have two Minnesota recruits in Ames on Sunday when his Cyclones play Michigan. They are former Cooper standout Rashad Vaughn, ESPN’s No. 17-ranked prospect in the Class of 2014 who is playing in Las Vegas, and Gran Rapids’ Alex Illikainen, ESPN’s No. 55 recruit in the Class of 2015.

http://www.startribune.com/sports/vikings/231833661.html?page=all&prepage=1&c=y#continue

Go Gophers!!

Damn can't lose Vaughn to Iowa State. Really? I have a good feeling we will sign Alex. But would be pissed to see Vaughn go to Iowa State.

Damn can't lose Vaughn to Iowa State. Really? I have a good feeling we will sign Alex. But would be pissed to see Vaughn go to Iowa State.

Agreed. To me it would be embarrassing if he chose Iowa State over his "former' home state Gophers. Hope the cyclones get killed by Michigan!

Serious question: If he's truly a one-and-done, does it really matter which college he attends? Aren't NBA scouts pretty smart?

Shouldn't make any difference NBA-wise, although if you're for sure planning on being 1 & done it is best to go to a situation here you can start right away and have a maximum amount of opportunities. One of the reason UK has recruited better than anybody ever lately is they have had a lot of starters to replace, and been able to kind of have a revolving door of 1 & dones. So I think a 1 & done player will prefer a situation where he thinks he will be able to replace a starter, so a team who is graduating a player at his position or has an early entry at his position would have a leg up.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Top Bottom