12/27 - Rashad Vaughn will NOT attend the U

Status
Not open for further replies.
Rashad Vaughn busy

Gophers basketball recruit Rashad Vaughn's week: Two North Carolina assistants visited him on Monday. Tuesday it was Tennessee coach Cuonzo Martin's turn. Wednesday it was a Wisconsin coach. Then on Friday Louisville coach Rick Pitino and Kentucky coach John Calipari are scheduled to be at Cooper High School. Louisville has offered, while Kentucky hasn't. But that could soon change.

Vaughn is being courted for Minnesota by among others, Cooper alum Rodney Williams. "He comes to open gyms and we talked at the (Gophers) game last weekend," Vaughn said. "He told me it's good at the Barn. That I could fit in well there."

Vaughn can start taking official visits Jan. 1. So, will Minnesota be one of those? "Probably not, because I can just go down there (whenever)," he said.

He listed Baylor as a likely visit spot and Kentucky if they offer. He's allowed to take up to five visits and a new NCAA rule this year allows him to take a parent with the school footing the bill. He said mom or dad will come on all trips.

Vaughn talks regularly with Gophers assistant Vince Taylor and with Smith once a week.

Tweet from ISURecruitLists:

"2014 Rashad Vaughn was offered by Kentucky head coach John Calipari y'day after watching him"

Go Gophers!!

Sounds like he might really like Kentucky since he said he would visit "if they offer." Well, they have offered now. The only thing that will stop Kentucky from getting Vaughn is Kentucky itself. If the Wildcats load up on top 10 prospects for 2014, Vaughn may think better playing time could be found elsewhere. It would be much easier to get lost in the rotation at Kentucky as compared to a place like Minnesota. In fact, I think he might start by the middle of his freshman season if he chooses the U.

If Tubby does not land one of the "big 3" from Minnesota's 2014 class, it won't take long for him to get fired. He obviously wouldn't get the boot simply because of the recruiting misses, but losses on the court will soon follow if he doesn't lock up 2 of the 3 (Vaughn and Travis most likely). Honestly, I think many Gopher fans would be quite upset of he swings and misses on these three guys. I don't think anyone will be too upset when Jones signs with one of the big boys and spurns the Gophers. Signing him is down to less than a 25% chance at this point. But missing on Vaughn and Travis will be downright pathetic. It could happen too. Tubby isn't the easiest coach to play for. He has never churned out NBA players and rarely favors freshman. His playing time is often like hockey lines too.

Sounds like he might really like Kentucky since he said he would visit "if they offer." Well, they have offered now. The only thing that will stop Kentucky from getting Vaughn is Kentucky itself. If the Wildcats load up on top 10 prospects for 2014, Vaughn may think better playing time could be found elsewhere. It would be much easier to get lost in the rotation at Kentucky as compared to a place like Minnesota. In fact, I think he might start by the middle of his freshman season if he chooses the U.

If Tubby does not land one of the "big 3" from Minnesota's 2014 class, it won't take long for him to get fired. He obviously wouldn't get the boot simply because of the recruiting misses, but losses on the court will soon follow if he doesn't lock up 2 of the 3 (Vaughn and Travis most likely). Honestly, I think many Gopher fans would be quite upset of he swings and misses on these three guys. I don't think anyone will be too upset when Jones signs with one of the big boys and spurns the Gophers. Signing him is down to less than a 25% chance at this point. But missing on Vaughn and Travis will be downright pathetic. It could happen too. Tubby isn't the easiest coach to play for. He has never churned out NBA players and rarely favors freshman. His playing time is often like hockey lines too.

Rashad Vaughn may or may not love Kentucky, but I don't know how him saying that he would probably visit if they offer makes them sound like the favorite or even that he "really likes them." Of course he's going to visit Kentucky, I would too even if I had no intention of going there. It's Kentucky. Not many people get offered and it would probably be a fun visit and cool to just simply say that you visitied them. How many players get to say that each year?

Not sure if this is the kiss of death, but Sid just stated on The Sports Huddle not to worry about Vaughn... Tubby has him locked up.

Kentucky is awesome!

Even with all this attention from some of the nation's top programs, the Kentucky offer gives Vaughn a little extra excitement.

"He likes the style of play at Kentucky," Watkins said. "You take that and the fact that they've won so much, including last year's national championship, and they just pop off the page when you look at all his offers.

"There's a sense of if you go there prepared, then you're going to have a great chance to eventually make it to the NBA. Whether it takes one year, two or three is irrelevant. Coach Calipari puts you in the league if you put the work in."

Look for Vaughn to become one of Calipari's top wing targets in the 2014 class.

Kentucky is awesome!

Even with all this attention from some of the nation's top programs, the Kentucky offer gives Vaughn a little extra excitement.

"He likes the style of play at Kentucky," Watkins said. "You take that and the fact that they've won so much, including last year's national championship, and they just pop off the page when you look at all his offers.

"There's a sense of if you go there prepared, then you're going to have a great chance to eventually make it to the NBA. Whether it takes one year, two or three is irrelevant. Coach Calipari puts you in the league if you put the work in."

Look for Vaughn to become one of Calipari's top wing targets in the 2014 class.

This seems misleading. Calipari puts a lot of players in the NBA because he gets players that would be going to the NBA regardless of where they play. Would Anthony Davis not be in the NBA now if he had played for an A-10 school instead of Kentucky? I don't think you can say that Davis would not have been drafted if it weren't for Calipari and Kentucky. Vaughn will be a stud wherever he goes.

Please Rashad, even if you don't come to Minnesota, don't go to Kentucky.

This seems misleading. Calipari puts a lot of players in the NBA because he gets players that would be going to the NBA regardless of where they play. Would Anthony Davis not be in the NBA now if he had played for an A-10 school instead of Kentucky? I don't think you can say that Davis would not have been drafted if it weren't for Calipari and Kentucky. Vaughn will be a stud wherever he goes.

Please Rashad, even if you don't come to Minnesota, don't go to Kentucky.

Calipari does a go job of getting young future NBA players to play well together, he also plays a style that highlights players skillset that is attractive to the NBA, I'm not so sure he actually prepares these players any better or even as well as some of the other top coaches

I feel good about Rashad coming to Minnesota. However, will I be surprised if he commits elsewhere? Not very.

per Shama:

"Lien said Apple Valley, led by point guard Tyus Jones, will play Robbinsdale Cooper, led by shooting guard Rashad Vaughn, in the Timberwolves Shootout in January at Target Center. Jones, Vaughn and DeLaSalle’s Reid Travis are part of a nationally recruited threesome that could be the best in Minnesota prep history. “Vaughn might be the only one who ends up with the Gophers,” Lien said."

Go Gophers!!

Link-
http://shamasportsheadliners.com/dalton-ap-still-special-player/

Lien also said that Edina senior point guard Graham Woodward was scheduled to visit Penn State last weekend. Senior forward Kyle Washington, who played for Benilde-St. Margaret’s in 2010-11 but now goes to school in New Hampshire, has verbally committed to North Carolina State after Wisconsin showed a lot of interest. Grand Rapids sophomore center Alex Illikainen is being recruited by Kansas, according to Lien.

The Gophers’ first two games in the late November Battle 4 Atlantis Tournament will be intriguing. Minnesota plays Duke and legendary coach Mike Krzyzeski in the opening game. Then the Gophers will either play Virginia Commonwealth or Memphis. New Gophers’ athletic director Norwood Teague is from VCU and Shaka Smart, who Teague hired as coach at VCU, might one day be a candidate for the Minnesota job. Jimmy Williams, who has been involved for years in a lawsuit against the University of Minnesota, is an assistant coach at Memphis.

per Shama:

"Lien said Apple Valley, led by point guard Tyus Jones, will play Robbinsdale Cooper, led by shooting guard Rashad Vaughn, in the Timberwolves Shootout in January at Target Center. Jones, Vaughn and DeLaSalle’s Reid Travis are part of a nationally recruited threesome that could be the best in Minnesota prep history. “Vaughn might be the only one who ends up with the Gophers,” Lien said."

Go Gophers!!

I would probably be okay with just getting Vaughn, but I thought we also had a very good shot at Travis. Travis does not have any of the North Carolina/Duke/Kentucky type offers that Jones and Vaughn have, in fact Minnesota is probably one of the biggest "name" offers he has. I thought he also said he really liked the Carlson school of management.

I actually want Vaughn the most of the three of them. I know, I'm crazy.

Tweet from ISURecruitLists: "2014 Rashad Vaughn will have Tennessee visiting today per @jerrymeyer247."

Go Gophers!!

Tweet from the Iowa State beat writer in Ames: "And from what I've heard from a number of ppl at different levels, Rashad Vaughn is a legit one-and-done candidate, FWIW."

Go Gophers!!

Tweet from the Iowa State beat writer in Ames: "And from what I've heard from a number of ppl at different levels, Rashad Vaughn is a legit one-and-done candidate, FWIW."

Go Gophers!!

He likely will not be one and done. Perhaps 2, but one and dones are typically the kind of guys that would go straight out of high school if allowed. Vaughn is very good. He isn't that good.

He likely will not be one and done. Perhaps 2, but one and dones are typically the kind of guys that would go straight out of high school if allowed. Vaughn is very good. He isn't that good.

Cory Joseph went 1 and done after a less than stellar freshman campaign. Not saying that I expect Vaughn to go one and done but it's definitely not out of the realm of possibility if he puts up big numbers as a freshman.

He's considered the 12th best player in his class ... That's a one and done with an average freshman season.

One and dones are, as you said, guys that were ready out of high school or are ready after one year of college. No reason at all Vaughn won't be ready after one year of college.

Vaughn seems like the guys to stick around Neil the end of his sophomore season then declare for the draft.

From Amelia during her chat today:

I would rank them like this: Travis, Vaughn, Jones. First of all, Travis is getting recruited the least and probably stands to benefit more from the hometown hero crown. The Gophers have made pretty good in-roads with the Travis family, I think. Of course, there’s a chance he goes the route of football instead. Vaughn also has a great relationship with assistant Vince Taylor, but he has a ton of schools chasing him. Jones would be a miracle. Gophers fans – if you get him, you’re not allowed to complain about anything for at least two years. Vaughn says he and Jones have talked about playing for the Gophers together, but I don’t think that idea is heavily influencing either of their decisions.

http://www.startribune.com/sports/gophers/173158041.html

Go Gophers!!

From Amelia's chat:

Comment From Deidrik
What are the chances of Rashad Vaughn ending up at the U? It seems like he really likes it here!
12:32

Amelia:
I think he does like it here and I think he likes the coaching staff. But it’s going to be tough. I give the Gophers a 30 percent shot. Vaughn has a lot of great schools recruiting him, and the Gophers will need to rely on relationships the “local celebrity” pitch.

Go Gophers!!

From Amelia's chat:

Comment From Deidrik
What are the chances of Rashad Vaughn ending up at the U? It seems like he really likes it here!
12:32

Amelia:
I think he does like it here and I think he likes the coaching staff. But it’s going to be tough. I give the Gophers a 30 percent shot. Vaughn has a lot of great schools recruiting him, and the Gophers will need to rely on relationships the “local celebrity” pitch.

Go Gophers!!

The 30% comment is the strangest commment I can remember. If thats not throwing sh$t against the wall I don't know what is... I doubt its based on any information other than her speculation.. not based on talking to Vaughn. Anyway, I would put it much higher than 30%.. I had it pegged at 57.5%.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Top Bottom