10 Second Runoff

Goldie9

Reaction score
I believe it was with 38 seconds left in the game and the clock was stopped when the Badgers RB was injured. Wisconsin didn’t have any time outs remaining. Is there a rule in college football that would dictate a 10 second clock runoff at that time due to an injury stoppage of play?

I believe it was with 38 seconds left in the game and the clock was stopped when the Badgers RB was injured. Wisconsin didn’t have any time outs remaining. Is there a rule in college football that would dictate a 10 second clock runoff at that time due to an injury stoppage of play?
It crossed by mind, too, but I do not know the rule on this.

I believe only NFL has that rule.

This explains the rule but my take is that it should have been a 10 second runoff.
OK, so it was:

3. Most complicated: the injury, helmet issue, or foul has to be the only reason the clock stopped. If the clock is not running when the foul occurs, there is no runoff.

Because he got a first down the clock was not running, therefore no runoff?

Or am I even thinking about the right play?

I thought that the fact that it was a first down and the clock stopped to move the chains.
That is the only reason it may not have been a runoff if the clock was already stopped for some other reason.

Do we think he cheated it?

Seemed like he took a hard knee to the helmet and was dizzy trying to get up fast to get ready to run another play. The clock only stops until the chain crew is back in place.

I think it was genuine.

Then they imploded anyway, so it didn't matter.

I wondered the same thing yesterday.

I thought that the fact that it was a first down and the clock stopped to move the chains.
You are correct. The ten second runoff applies if there is no first down nor penalty.

Late in the game .... the Wisconsin running back was injured ... They had no timeouts. I always thought that the offensive team would have a 10 second run-off in a situation like this. So is this just a rule for the NFL or was it something that was not enforced for some reason in yesterday's game.

Rule may need to be modified.
I absolutely think the rule needs to be modified. The clock stops for a few seconds after a first down to reset the chains before starting again. That should not be enough to negate a 10 second runoff if an offensive player goes down with an injury and his team has no timeouts.

If it takes more than a few seconds to get him off the field then the clock would have been running again therefore the 10 second runoff should be back in play in my opinion.

On top of the extended timeout Wisconsin got they also waited a long time while the teams were back at the line to start the clock again which I am pretty sure why Fleck was losing his mind on the sidelines.

The competition committee needs to take a look at this in the off season.

*Sorry to change the topic for a second*

There was another play earlier in the game where Fleck was jumping up and down going insane on the sideline.

It was the one where the female ref had her hand up in Mertz's face, not letting him run the play. But Fleck was on fire, and ended up taking a time out.

Anyone remember what I am talking about, and what the hell was going on there?

Last edited:

Not sure about the 10 second run-off rule but the clock SURELY should have started once the ball was set for play. It never did. PJ (and me) were jumping up and down. Could’ve been a huge blown call.
In the Nebraska Iowa game, Nebraska ran the clock down 40 seconds. They reviewed the play and gave the ball to Iowa because it was a fumbled recovered by Iowa.
Didn’t put 40 seconds back.

In gopher Iowa game, after Iowa winds the clock down to 1, they stop to review catch. Call stands. Clock starts on ready for play. Didn’t put time back on clock. Iowa could’ve kicked that field goal with 3 left in the clock but they were disorganized and took time out to avoid 12 men on the field

Consensus:
Refs suck

One of the run offs was prevented by Oliver also being hurt. He tried to power through and get off the field but couldn’t.

One of the run offs was prevented by Oliver also being hurt. He tried to power through and get off the field but couldn’t.
Yeah, no issues with that one since there were injuries for both teams. But the other one gave them a huge advantage time wise. That scenario is one that should be looked at because I'm not accusing their guy of faking but can absolutely see a scenario where a team could use that exact situation to their benefit to get an extra timeout.

Good thread. I was puzzled by this at the game, but when I voiced it the WI fan next to me said they still had a timeout left. I figured I somehow misremembered that they were out of Time Outs.

Yeah, no issues with that one since there were injuries for both teams. But the other one gave them a huge advantage time wise. That scenario is one that should be looked at because I'm not accusing their guy of faking but can absolutely see a scenario where a team could use that exact situation to their benefit to get an extra timeout.
Even if no one ever cheated it, the runoff is not necessarily meant to be a punishment or deterrent to faking, but rather simulating the actual effect on the clock if the injury (real or fake) hadn't happened. To be clear, not accusing the Wisconsin player of cheating.

Since the clock was stopped for a first down, there is no runoff. Definitely something that should be looked at. There are very few situations in which the team on offense is ready for the next play when the ball is placed by the referee and the time resumes. So having the clock stop for the injury, giving the offense time to scheme and rest, and then get set for the game to resume is mostly BS. Even if the runoff was five seconds, that would be better. But that injury clock stoppage on first downs is ripe to be abused.

And I'm not saying that the Wisconsin running back went down on purpose. He got hit hard. But that doesn't change the fact that it was advantageous to them in terms of the clock.

Top Bottom