10 most interesting options to replace Richard Pitino

Sorry if I misread. I compared Pitino to Gates because they both had 2 years of head coaching experience. Pitino had some assistant coaching experience as does Gates obviously.

Pitino had one year of head coaching experience with an 18-14 record.

Northfield is very nice but not particularly cheap unless you buy a house that is as old as Methusalah. Sure, it's cheaper than the Twin Cities' more desirable suburbs and the better neighborhoods of the core cities but you pay a premium to live in Northfield instead of one of the other towns in the region. According to City Data, the mean price of detached houses in Northfield in 2019 was $308,514.
What are we comparing to?

I would assume at least that level of cost of living to live in Des Moines built up suburbs.

I mean, if that were true it would raise potentially disqualifying concerns about his intelligence.
You might be surprised how "inept" some people are about social media.

What are we comparing to?

I would assume at least that level of cost of living to live in Des Moines built up suburbs.

Well, the same source list mean price of detached homes in Urbandale at $288,253 for 2019 and Iowa City at about $277 K for the same year. Those are two of the most expensive housing markets in Iowa. The figure for the city of Des Moines itself is only $157 K. Des Moines has some sketchy neighborhoods and a lot of tiny old houses.

I just want a coach that teaches defense, rebounding, ball movement, toughness and team play.

I don't care who they are. The only way to win here is to play above your talent level. Be honest with yourself, Minnesota will never recruit higher than 5-7th in the conference and it won't matter what coach they have. It's just the truth.

That could change with a good run of success, but expecting to get anyone to come in here and get top recruits is a pipe dream. Whoever takes this job has to know that they must win with less talent than half of the teams in the conference.

I just want a coach that teaches defense, rebounding, ball movement, toughness and team play.

I don't care who they are. The only way to win here is to play above your talent level. Be honest with yourself, Minnesota will never recruit higher than 5-7th in the conference and it won't matter what coach they have. It's just the truth.

That could change with a good run of success, but expecting to get anyone to come in here and get top recruits is a pipe dream. Whoever takes this job has to know that they must win with less talent than half of the teams in the conference.
the wisconsin model?

Is this author someone I should know? I have never heard this name before.

And I'll ask again: are all fanbases obsessed with connections to the school or just us? The author of this put the connection or lack thereof with every coach. Its bizarre.

"Oh...that guy would be perfect! But, no connection to the school. Lets move on from him to someone who's grandma is from Clontarf."

And I'll ask again: are all fanbases obsessed with connections to the school or just us? The author of this put the connection or lack thereof with every coach. Its bizarre.

"Oh...that guy would be perfect! But, no connection to the school. Lets move on from him to someone who's grandma is from Clontarf."

I would assume it's natural to look for connections thinking successful coaches may want to comeback, and MN definitely prefer "one of us" types. I trust Coyle to search beyond the MN angle

Yes, Pitino was briefly an assistant to his dad and to a venerable coach who owed his career to Rick Pitino. Are you aware of what Rick Pitino did for Billy Donovan as both a player and a coach? If you are you should realize that there was no way Billy Donovan was going to decline to hire Richard as an assistant.

As far as the student achievements, Richard attended Providence, a school where his father took them to one of their greatest years in history. My guess is that he made a nice donation or two as well. I doubt Richard was a great student. He's never seemed all that bright to me.

You don't think being smart (in addition to his collegiate academic honors, Gates also went to a prestigious magnet public high school - the same one Michelle Obama graduated from), productive, hard working, graduating in 3 years while being a D1 athlete, and succeeding on one's own merits throughout life lend themselves to success in coaching? I guess that makes coaching different from all other occupations then.
What an asshole you are.........

the wisconsin model?

100%. Look how sustainable it has been. And with what? Top 50 maybe at best talent?

Obviously I would like to see a team that gets up and down a little more, but smart, disciplined, tough basketball would be nice to see around here...

It works both ways. Not just the way you're ridiculing.

Because .... why would a hot coach in a multi-bid MM conference consider us higher than the other P5 offers that could likely be coming at the same time? Because, he has some kind of affinity for the U or Minnesota ...

I would assume it's natural to look for connections thinking successful coaches may want to comeback, and MN definitely prefer "one of us" types. I trust Coyle to search beyond the MN angle

Is it really natural though? I'd like to have the time to look at a bunch of good programs and see if their coaches have prior connections to the school.
It works both ways. Not just the way you're ridiculing.

Because .... why would a hot coach in a multi-bid MM conference consider us higher than the other P5 offers that could likely be coming at the same time? Because, he has some kind of affinity for the U or Minnesota ...

Sure. But you can also find coaches with no ties and get them to come here. I forgot that PJ grew up in Pillager. He was wanted by other schools. He had no prior involvement with the state of Minnesota or the University of Minnesota. See? It’s possible to not be from here or have gone to school here to want to be here. Teams all over America manage this. Why can’t we?

Sure. But you can also find coaches with no ties and get them to come here. I forgot that PJ grew up in Pillager. He was wanted by other schools. He had no prior involvement with the state of Minnesota or the University of Minnesota. See? It’s possible to not be from here or have gone to school here to want to be here. Teams all over America manage this. Why can’t we?
You're not wrong. If they're interested in us. Just saying, it is valid to speculate that someone from here may actually have more interest.

My Uncle Dale's wife is from Clontarf, but he died. So am i still qualified to be the head coach?

Today is a Gates day. Lot of good candidates my mind continues to sway all over. But today is a Gates day. Feeling a little bit more risky. More unproven. But a high upside. I also like what he preaches. Got to see an interview of his the other day and it was great.

Gates and Devries seem like they'd be the most "exciting" hires in that they are relatively unproven compared to others.

Also the more I think and read, the more I don't believe Medved belongs in the same category as most of these guys. Could also say the same about Gates I guess. It just seems like quite the feat to bring Cleveland State to where they are so quickly. I don't think Medved has any jump that big.

Another name not to forget maybe that Richey from Furman.

Musselmans resume is just so much better than everyones.

End of the day I have no idea I just want to be impressed haha.

Last edited:

Hate to give up my chair and my Unemployment checks, but shit...I'll do it for only 200k. I can at least call a timeout before the other team goes on a 19-2 run.

Today is a Gates day. Lot of good candidates my mind continues to sway all over. But today is a Gates day. Feeling a little bit more risky. More unproven. But a high upside. I also like what he preaches. Got to see an interview of his the other day and it was great.

Gates and Devries seem like they'd be the most "exciting" hires in that they are relatively unproven compared to others.

Also the more I think and read, the more I don't believe Medved belongs in the same category as most of these guys. Could also say the same about Gates I guess. It just seems like quite the feat to bring Cleveland State to where they are so quickly. I don't think Medved has any jump that big.

Another name not to forget maybe that Richey from Furman.

Musselmans resume is just so much better than everyones.
Gates!

It feels like almost everyone wants Mussleman, they just don't necessarily believe we can get him.

If landing him is a sure thing, is there anyone who doesn't want him? Curious.

I can’t imagine anyone better that is even possible to obtain. Like sure we’d take Bennett or Few but that is never happening.

Huh, random. I have actually been through Clontarf.

Top Bottom