10 More wins and we are dancing?!?

This whole discussion reminds me of the year we went 10-8 in the BT and I was standing in the Delta World Club watching TV while they announced the field...and we didn't make it. Took them a long time to clean up the World Club after that incident.

Edit: 1996. 10-8 in the conference and 20-12 overall.

Another edit: Michigan had the exact same conference and overall record. They went, we didn't.

Ohio State missed the tournament last year at 20-13, 11-7 in conference, but they had 5 losses out of conference, including losses to Louisiana Tech and UT-Arlington.

This whole discussion reminds me of the year we went 10-8 in the BT and I was standing in the Delta World Club watching TV while they announced the field...and we didn't make it. Took them a long time to clean up the World Club after that incident.

Another edit: Michigan had the exact same conference and overall record. They went, we didn't.

That '96 team (finished 19-11 regular season, #46 in the RPI) was red hot down the stretch (won 7 of last 9), but if my memory serves me well the overall resume was lacking.

'93 (pre-dating the RPI) is the year I think we really got screwed. Beat Penny Hardaway and Memphis State at The Barn, also beat Steve Nash and Santa Clara on the road. Both those teams played in the NCAA Tournament, and Santa Clara ended up knocking off #2 seed Arizona.

That was a year where having a conference tourney would've really helped the gophs, they were really rolling February and probably would have played themselves in

OK, I hate to post this, but here goes. Right now we're sitting at #34 in Sagarin, which is generally a pretty good predictor. Top 40 and you're in like Flynn. From 40 to 50 you're biting your nails. So if we decline only a little from 34, we're in good shape. If we decline a moderate amount, we're sweating.

So here's the kicker. You do a Sagarin-based analysis from today's numbers, and it shows the Gophs winning 11 conference games. Do so, and it's just a matter of seed. Anything less than that, and our rating goes down. Because there are so many variables, there's no minimum number of victories per se, but I would say that 10 wins including the BTT would do it. 9 wins including the BTT would put us on the bubble.

The home crowd is a shadow of its former self. It made a difference during the Musselman and Clem years, and for the most part, the Dutcher years. It has gone steadily downhill since the Monson years.The Musselman years were the best. That was a nasty crowd that filled the stands 45 minutes before the game started.

The home crowd is a shadow of its former self. It made a difference during the Musselman and Clem years, and for the most part, the Dutcher years. It has gone steadily downhill since the Monson years.The Musselman years were the best. That was a nasty crowd that filled the stands 45 minutes before the game started.

I think if you look at average conference finish for Mussleman/Dutcher/Clem and then look at average conference finish after that, you'll have the answer as to why the home crowd is a shadow of its former self...

Top Bottom