“UT needs rich donors”: Emails show wealthy alumni supporting “Eyes of Texas” threatened to pull donations

This first world problem is classic Texas.
Somehow a lot of people there have never got over joining the USA.
Their descent into stone age living when because of lack of regulation and refusal to join a wide electric power grid the power failed across most of the state when the temperature dropped below freezing.
Of course they came running with their hands out to the hated Federal Government asking for help.
Now their bitter at life governor and the wackadoodle lt. governor are "opening the state up and don't wear masks" while the pandemic has not been diminished to a safe level and the vaccination rate is at the bottom of all the states.
Now the the former guy is muted and I can see the news and read the papers without agitation I simply do not want to think about or care what happens to a self destructive state.
Yes, pretty much sums it all up! Though Texas has some pluses, some mindsets still linger.

"But not everyone in Confederate territory would immediately be free. Even though the Emancipation Proclamation was made effective in 1863, it could not be implemented in places still under Confederate control. As a result, in the westernmost Confederate state of Texas, enslaved people would not be free until much later. Freedom finally came on June 19, 1865, when some 2,000 Union troops arrived in Galveston Bay, Texas. The army announced that the more than 250,000 enslaved black people in the state, were free by executive decree. This day came to be known as "Juneteenth," by the newly freed people in Texas. "

Last stand for slavery

Last edited:

I suspect most folks who are worried about 'look so hard' are the folks not experiencing racism... and that just ads up to 'doesn't bother me, so it shouldn't bother you'.
This is why I think it should be made absolutely clear and as loud as possible that no one should be forced to sing the song.

And then I think the song should remain, as it's not a racist song.

I fail to see why this is so hard.

I think to a lot of people it wasn't an issue until the story broke about the boosters that are pushing to keep it. IMO that made it a national issue and the objective racism we saw is going to make the song a casualty.

To each their own though, it doesn't affect me whatsoever as I have no ties to UT and could care less whether they keep it or not.

The President of the university announced tonight that the song was not racist and no changes would be made.

Top Bottom