“UT needs rich donors”: Emails show wealthy alumni supporting “Eyes of Texas” threatened to pull donations

A_Slab_of_Bacon

Reaction score

wrote another donor who graduated in 1986. Their name was also redacted by UT-Austin. "It is sad that it is offending the blacks. As I said before the blacks are free and it's time for them to move on to another state where everything is in their favor."

"Less than 6% of our current student body is black," wrote Larry Wilkinson, a donor who graduated in 1970, quoting a statistic UT-Austin officials have stated they’re working to improve. "The tail cannot be allowed to wag the dog….. and the dog must instead stand up for what is right. Nothing forces those students to attend UT Austin. Encourage them to select an alternate school ….NOW!"

I have no idea what our donor situation is but I'm sure as hell we don't have issues like this and hope we don't have donor's like that driving the bus....

When an email from a UT-Austin parent sharing her son’s mental health issues appeared to go unintentionally unanswered, a student affairs employee asked if Hartzell’s office wanted to respond directly. But the president’s office declined. "If you think we can help [redacted], then please proceed," wrote Geoff Leavenworth, a former communications director at UT-Austin who was hired temporarily to help the office with correspondence this fall. "I'm afraid The Eyes of Texas issue is requiring a lot of bandwidth right now."

When an email from a UT-Austin parent sharing her son’s mental health issues appeared to go unintentionally unanswered, a student affairs employee asked if Hartzell’s office wanted to respond directly. But the president’s office declined. "If you think we can help [redacted], then please proceed," wrote Geoff Leavenworth, a former communications director at UT-Austin who was hired temporarily to help the office with correspondence this fall. "I'm afraid The Eyes of Texas issue is requiring a lot of bandwidth right now."
This is all very inconvenient for them!

You either give them their money back and say "no, thanks, progressing onward from slavery is more important than anything money can buy" , or you don't.

One of the few scenarios in life where it very much is a binary decision.

Not good. Both donors and players/students are opposing long horns.

Who are (if any) the big money individual boosters these days?

The people supporting the song simply don't get it. Things like this has been going on since the beginning of our country brought over from Europe. When will people learn?

The people supporting the song simply don't get it. Things like this has been going on since the beginning of our country brought over from Europe. When will people learn?
They'll age out and eventually the next generations will need to age out of some other stuff.... provided they don't regress.

So, are they now faced with a choice?

Choice 1) Try to run a football program in the 21st century while possibly becoming a pariah in the eyes of Black people.

Choice 2) Find new rich donors.

So, are they now faced with a choice?

Choice 1) Try to run a football program in the 21st century while possibly becoming a pariah in the eyes of Black people.

Choice 2) Find new rich donors.

The Eyes of Texas is the least controversial song that I've ever heard.

The Eyes of Texas are upon you,
All the livelong day.
You cannot get away.
Do not think you can escape them
At night or early in the morn --
The Eyes of Texas are upon you
Til Gabriel blows his horn.

The controversy is that the song was played by performers who sometimes wore blackface. Also Robert E. Lee allegedly used to say the "eyes of the South are upon you". Quite the controversy.

The choices for all of us are really:

(1) Continue to capitulate to every made up controversy; or
(2) Continue to capitulate to every made up controversy.

Who are (if any) the big money individual boosters these days?
I hear McDonalds has some extra cash laying around now. Already bagged and ready for delivery.

All the livelong day.
You cannot get away.

The controversy is that the song was played by performers who sometimes wore blackface. Also Robert E. Lee allegedly used to say the "eyes of the South are upon you". Quite the controversy.

The least controversial song? How bout Twinkle twinkle?

The least controversial song? How bout Twinkle twinkle?

Eyes of Texas is literally just "I've been working on the railroad". I'm sure that has been performed by someone in blackface at some time too.

Money runs the world so you better hope you've got a good chunk of it

All the livelong day.
You cannot get away.

Good Lord, at some point we're just looking for things to be bothered about. The next thing you know, there will be something wrong with Dr Seuss...

The song originated at Texas with the spirit association performing it in black face.

No worries though. The old white men say that there is no problem here and that this doesn't offend them. :rolleyes:
No worries when Governor Northam and Justin Trudeau wore black face. The leftist say there is no problem there and that doesn’t offend them.

stalker you are just another progressive fraud.

No worries when Governor Northam and Justin Trudeau wore black face. The leftist say there is no problem there and that doesn’t offend them.

stalker you are just another progressive fraud.

Nothing is okay with that either.

But keep acting like a spoiled brat about something that in no way affects you. Everyone is sorry for your old white man, right wing plight....you victim.

But keep acting like a spoiled brat about something that in no way affects you. Everyone is sorry for your old white man, right wing plight....you victim.
You’re the one playing the victim. Whining about UT using the song The Eyes of Texas as if it affects you.

stalker you’re nothing more than another in a long line of progressive frauds.

Last edited:

Who are you to tell people how things effect them?
Who are you to tell me what I can say?

And while you’re at it ask this clown the same question you asked me. ⬇

Last edited:

You’re the one playing the victim. Whining about UT using the song The Eyes of Texas as if it affects you.

stalker you’re nothing more than another in a long line of progressive frauds.

Doesn't affect me at all. I could care less if it changed. However....I do find it funny watching a bunch of righties....the party of the old white man....crying about things like this. Boohoo. Whine some more you poor victim. Old white man scools just can't catch a break!

Top Bottom