‘We Had It’: Gophers Fall In Heartbreak Fashion To Quinnipiac In The National Championship

Championship record
DU: 9-3
UM: 9-3
UND: 8-5
uw: 6-3
BC: 5-6
BU: 5-6
UMN: 5-8
LSSU: 3-1
MSU: 3-2
MTU: 3-4
UMD: 3-2

Minnesota sports. Even the best team makes it hard to truly enjoy. This one stings waaaaaaaaay more than 2014.

At the end of the day, Q outshot the Gophers in the game. After the first period, they were the better team on the ice.
The shots are a fact, but i refuse to believe the Q was a better team. The U stopped playing any offense and just let Q reload again and again. The U let Q look good.

Very seldom does a team win when it decides to play "not to lose" in hockey. They always say the 2 goal lead is the hardest to defend, it sound stupid, but if you play conservative the other teams keeps getting chances. And then they have all the momentum after they cut it to a 1 goal game. The leading team starts to tighten up and makes mistakes. I have seen it over and over again.

The best way to hold a 2 goal lead is to make it a 3, 4 or 5 goal lead. The other team can't score if the puck is in their end of the rink.

The shots are a fact, but i refuse to believe the Q was a better team. The U stopped playing any offense and just let Q reload again and again. The U let Q look good.

Very seldom does a team win when it decides to play "not to lose" in hockey. They always say the 2 goal lead is the hardest to defend, it sound stupid, but if you play conservative the other teams keeps getting chances. And then they have all the momentum after they cut it to a 1 goal game. The leading team starts to tighten up and makes mistakes. I have seen it over and over again.

The best way to hold a 2 goal lead is to make it a 3, 4 or 5 goal lead. The other team can't score if the puck is in their end of the rink.
Respect your opinion, but it sounds like the sour grapes we say we hate when other teams come with this same sentiment after getting their butts kicked by our team. Maybe it was more than approach and tactics. Maybe the Gophs blew their wad in the first period, Q withstood and barely survived, and got a second wind.

I can appreciate the optimism. But we also haven't won in 20 years...That's ancient history in this fast-moving world. Wisconsin has a more recent championship than we do. And more championships to boot!

What's going on in the "state of hockey"?
As does hated UND. They have 8. What a major collapse Saturday night 😡

This one hurt a great deal. Loved watching this team which was stacked with play makers. The first 15 minutes of game vs BU was some of the most dominant playoff hockey I have ever seen.
Give the Bobcats credit, they played a great game. They weathered the storm early from Mn and hung around gaining confidence all the way.
The loss reminded me a bit of the loss vs Mankato State last year. An older extremely disciplined and physical team that just found a way.

This game reminded me a lot of the UMD vs UMass game of a couple years ago in the regional finals, i think it was. UMD was going for 3 peat and got a 2-0 lead but UMass then took control, dominating shots and play, rolling 4 lines. They tied it late in 3rd and won in OT. They ended up winning the Natty and were the better team in the end. The Gophers had more talent than that UMD team, but the games were very similar.

Championship record
DU: 9-3
UM: 9-3
UND: 8-5
uw: 6-3
BC: 5-6
BU: 5-6
UMN: 5-8
LSSU: 3-1
MSU: 3-2
MTU: 3-4
UMD: 3-2

Minnesota sports. Even the best team makes it hard to truly enjoy. This one stings waaaaaaaaay more than 2014.
I wish I hadn't pulled this data because I have been angry since. The worst championship win percentage...

Last edited:

Top Bottom