Cam Christie is entering the Transfer Portal

Really incredible outlook from some purported fans on here to belittle a (soon to be former) Gopher about his professional prospects. He’s a really good player who - based on current info - would be drafted in the second round. That’s good for Cam and the program.

It's really weird, people did the same with Amir and look where he is now, carved out a role for himself on a playoff team. It may be a similar slow build for Christie but he has the raw tools to one day stick in the league.

I'd like to see the Wolves draft him in the second round, lord knows they could do with a wing that profiles as a solid shooter.

Key part is "18-year-old." He's exactly the type that a team with no immediate needs or stashed draft picks would take a flyer on.
It's really weird, people did the same with Amir and look where he is now, carved out a role for himself on a playoff team. It may be a similar slow build for Christie but he has the raw tools to one day stick in the league.

I'd like to see the Wolves draft him in the second round, lord knows they could do with a wing that profiles as a solid shooter.
You don't like Alexander-Walker, McDaniels or Edwards?

In regards to the Wolves, the supporting cast has been brutal the past 2 games but they have a number of wings that are good shooters. But definitely wouldn't mind seeing Cam end up with the Wolves.

I really don't get the fans that are taking issue with a guy going pro or lumping him in with the other transfers. That changes if he comes back to college and transfers somewhere else, but if he stays in the draft he should not be looked on the same way as guys like Payne and Hawkins.

View attachment 31426

"Not top 100"
I have to wonder how many of these mock drafts use any "inside info"? Like just because some people behind a keyboard say he's projected to go in the early/mid 2nd, does that mean NBA scouts and teams feel the same way?

Crazy. He must have a guarantee that the Lakers or some other team is throwing away a roster spot to secure his Dad.

Go Gophers!!
Very likely. Also a pretty good chance that he doesn't want to bother with school and if he fails in the G League he knows he has a multi-multi millionaire dad as a safety net to finance whatever lifestyle he wants.

Crazy. He must have a guarantee that the Lakers or some other team is throwing away a roster spot to secure his Dad.

Go Gophers!!
I would guess the Lakers would toss a second round pick at James just to keep dad around for another year.

I would guess the Lakers would toss a second round pick at James just to keep dad around for another year.
The NBA draft is June 26-27. Lebron has an opt out of his current contract and the deadline to opt out is June 29. Not sure if that is a normal opt out deadline timeframe or not but the timing is perfect.

Christie wouldn't have any impact on those guys, have to imagine he'd be viewed as a 1-2 year project so he'd probably spend a good amount of time in the G League the first year or so. NAW is one of my favorite players on the team but they're going to have a decision to make on him after next season because he'll be a UFA. He signed a super team friendly deal last offseason so he'll rightfully be looking for a big number and a bigger role. It'll be interesting to see what their plan is with him, could he be the backcourt running mate for Edwards long term? Having a low usage 3 and D guy that can handle a bit seems like an ideal fit next to Ant.

Not sure McDaniels will find his shot again from 3 in these playoffs but hopefully he does next year and beyond.

Really incredible outlook from some purported fans on here to belittle a (soon to be former) Gopher about his professional prospects. He’s a really good player who - based on current info - would be drafted in the second round. That’s good for Cam and the program.
From the posts I have read and posted, belittle is a bit strong. Many state the fairly obvious, and I agree, that another year in college ball would greatly benefit his game and likely his draft position. Watching the NBA playoffs, it's hard not to think he would get manhandled often, even coming off the bench. There's no doubt he is a pure shooter but definitely needs more polish.

I'd say it's more Josh Minott or Wendell Moore replacement. I haven't read much that their development has taken off the past couple if years. Gotta keep churning over the developmental players to hope you hit when you are cash strapped like the Wolves are currently

I have to wonder how many of these mock drafts use any "inside info"? Like just because some people behind a keyboard say he's projected to go in the early/mid 2nd, does that mean NBA scouts and teams feel the same way?

Was listening to Vecine's podcast yesterday after the lottery and they were saying that while they have their own projections on their order, they are influenced by what they are hearing from teams. I'd guess most of the legit mocks(The Ringer, The Athletic, ESPN, CBS, Yahoo) have those same type of connections.

I don't pay attention to NBA mock drafts but I know the ones for football are pretty worthless and I would assume it is the same for basketball.

Good news for Cam is that I am sure his brother has been able to help guide him through this whole process having just gone through it recently himself.

I don't pay attention to NBA mock drafts but I know the ones for football are pretty worthless and I would assume it is the same for basketball.

Good news for Cam is that I am sure his brother has been able to help guide him through this whole process having just gone through it recently himself.

NBA mocks are much more accurate just because there aren't as many players. The tweet I posted above, that person did a mock last year and only missed on 3 players, and two of them were the very last picks of the 2nd round. For Christie to be basically a top 40 player, pretty much assures he'll be drafted.

From the posts I have read and posted, belittle is a bit strong. Many state the fairly obvious, and I agree, that another year in college ball would greatly benefit his game and likely his draft position. Watching the NBA playoffs, it's hard not to think he would get manhandled often, even coming off the bench. There's no doubt he is a pure shooter but definitely needs more polish.

The one I quoted "laughed" and there was another poster that derailed the thread arguing he isn't a Top XX player. That's belittling in my book.

Cam - like most 18 year olds - would benefit from another year of development before playing in the NBA. It's an open question as to whether the best place to do that is college or the G League. Regardless, the top 30 players eligible for next year's draft class are much stronger than this year. There's no guarantee that improving and being a year older would improve his draft position. Not to mention the risk of injury.

2nd-round picks in the NBA are lottery tickets. if they cash it, it's great. if they don't cash in, you're only out a few bucks, relatively speaking.

in the end, maybe it just comes down to this: does Christie want to spend another year in school, where he would presumably at least have to put up a pretense of being a student, or would he rather say "bleep it" to classes and play ball for money.

Christie wouldn't have any impact on those guys, have to imagine he'd be viewed as a 1-2 year project so he'd probably spend a good amount of time in the G League the first year or so. NAW is one of my favorite players on the team but they're going to have a decision to make on him after next season because he'll be a UFA. He signed a super team friendly deal last offseason so he'll rightfully be looking for a big number and a bigger role. It'll be interesting to see what their plan is with him, could he be the backcourt running mate for Edwards long term? Having a low usage 3 and D guy that can handle a bit seems like an ideal fit next to Ant.

Not sure McDaniels will find his shot again from 3 in these playoffs but hopefully he does next year and beyond.
If Christy doesn't get a guaranteed contract thru the draft, he's better off staying in college based on the $ 75,000 per month Christy is expected to get for NIL. The max salary for a 2-way player is
$ 500k and the 2-way players are limited to 3 per team. Most others sign 1-year deals for $ $ 50k for the season.

No.... He's better off going somewhere he can get the best coaching possible for his growth ... That's not at the u of m and cbj
If Christy doesn't get a guaranteed contract thru the draft, he's better off staying in college based on the $ 75,000 per month Christy is expected to get for NIL. The max salary for a 2-way player is
$ 500k and the 2-way players are limited to 3 per team. Most others sign 1-year deals for $ $ 50k for the season.

I guess, if he’s thinking in the immediate future, those numbers might matter to him. If he’s thinking longer term, and not strictly financially, those numbers might not matter that much. I would guess that, by this point, he is fully aware of those numbers.

I have a hard time trying to project my personal thoughts, feelings and reasoning (as a much older person) into the mind of a young athlete, who I don’t know personally, with many options and opportunities. Especially when I have never been presented with or had to deal with the choices and options he's been presented with. Not sure how or why people are so comfortable trying to do that.

Any feedback on his performance from the combine? I saw one article (see below)which intimated he was gonna skip the scrimmages, which would seem odd to me.

Gophers' standout Cam Christie is not expected to participate in the scrimmage portion of this week's NBA Draft combine, according to NBA Draft analyst Jonathan Wasserman.

The league's annual draft combine is taking place this week in Chicago, Illinois. Christie is one of 78 players initially invited to the event.

Like the NFL combine, players are tested athletically and physically, but they also compete in scrimmages against other prospects. Christie is not expected to participate in the scrimmages, something that is relatively common, but still worth noting.

Kyle Boone of CBSSports mentioned Christie as one of three prospects with "the most on the line" at this week's combine, so his decision to skip scrimmaging is interesting.

Christie did officially measure at 6'4.5" (without shoes), 190.4 pounds and has a 6'8" wingspan. These were all measurements that were expected, as he was listed at 6'6" last season at Minnesota.

The event takes place from May 12-19, with testing and measurements taking place earlier in the week followed by scrimmages and interviews and meetings with teams rounding out the week.

If Christie sneaks his way into the first round, he could become the first Minnesota player to hear his name called in round one since 2004 (Kris Humphries).
If Christie removes his name from the draft, he is expected to command big-time attention in the NCAA transfer portal.

Could you ever imagine Christie playing defense, hustling and battling, like Edwards, McDaniels, or Alexander-Walker?

Top Bottom