All Things 2024 Minnesota Twins In-Season Thread

I guess I missed it, but I assume the Twins announced on Monday that they were taking a week off.

Forget about the Twins. They done and not making the playoffs. Stick a fork in them.

Cleveland is just better than the Twins. They play defense. They get runners over. They actually play their best hitters every day instead of sitting them on the bench to platoon someone hitting .180 because a spreadsheet says to do so.

FWIW - earlier in the 9th inning, Duran walked Gimenez on 4 pitches, including 3 fastballs. He then threw a wild pitch to Naylor, allowing the runner to advance to 2nd base. after that, Naylor received the intentional walk to set up a force-out at 2nd or 3rd.

he threw 1st-pitch strikes to 2 of 5 hitters he faced. overall threw 13 pitches - 6 for strikes. no called strikes and no swinging strikes.

it was a bad outing and he couldn't throw his fast ball for strikes. so what do you call as a catcher?

------
In other news - Walker Jenkins and Brooks Lee have been sent to the Florida Complex League to begin rehab assignments. 1st sighting of Jenkins since the 2nd game of the year.

-------
on Emmanuel Rodriguez - he is ranked 10th Among Outfielders. I think that is the source of confusion.

On this date in 2008, Bobby Korecky connected for the only hit by a pitcher in Metrodome history—and he did it while earning his first major league win.

Here's how the pitcher Korecky found himself with a bat in his hand: With the Twins trailing by a run going into the bottom of the ninth, Mike Redmond pinch hit for shortstop Adam Everett leading off the inning. (He grounded out). Then Craig Monroe pinch hit for second baseman Alexi Casilla. Monroe drew a walk, and was eventually driven in by Joe Mauer, sending the game to extra innings.

But this left Mike Redmond and Craig Monroe in the lineup as the Twins' middle infielders. That certainly wasn't going to work! So Howie Clark—who only played in four games with the Twins—entered the game at second base, and the designated hitter Brendan Harris came in to play shortstop ... and thus the Twins lost the DH.

Bobby Korecky came in to pitch with the bases loaded and one in the top of the 11th and retired Ian Kinsler and Michael Young to get out of the jam. Korecky then came to the plate in the bottom of the 11th and hit a one-out ground-ball single to right. Brendan Harris then singled and Mauer walked to load the bases, with Korecky representing the winning run on third, but Justin Morneau struck out and Michael Cuddyer grounded out to end the inning. (So both teams had the bases loaded with one out in the 11th inning but failed to score!)

Korecky set the Rangers down in order in the top of the 12th, and Howie Clark was hero in the bottom of the inning, hitting a walk-off double to center scoring Carlos Gómez.

And that's how Bobby Korecky got his first major league win and the only hit by a pitcher in Metrodome history.

FWIW - earlier in the 9th inning, Duran walked Gimenez on 4 pitches, including 3 fastballs. He then threw a wild pitch to Naylor, allowing the runner to advance to 2nd base. after that, Naylor received the intentional walk to set up a force-out at 2nd or 3rd.

he threw 1st-pitch strikes to 2 of 5 hitters he faced. overall threw 13 pitches - 6 for strikes. no called strikes and no swinging strikes.

it was a bad outing and he couldn't throw his fast ball for strikes. so what do you call as a catcher?

------
In other news - Walker Jenkins and Brooks Lee have been sent to the Florida Complex League to begin rehab assignments. 1st sighting of Jenkins since the 2nd game of the year.

-------
on Emmanuel Rodriguez - he is ranked 10th Among Outfielders. I think that is the source of confusion.
Both HRs he gave up in the series were on curveballs, he most effective pitch. His velocity is down a bit this year so far, about 1 mph slower on all his pitches.

On this date in 2008, Bobby Korecky connected for the only hit by a pitcher in Metrodome history—and he did it while earning his first major league win.

Here's how the pitcher Korecky found himself with a bat in his hand: With the Twins trailing by a run going into the bottom of the ninth, Mike Redmond pinch hit for shortstop Adam Everett leading off the inning. (He grounded out). Then Craig Monroe pinch hit for second baseman Alexi Casilla. Monroe drew a walk, and was eventually driven in by Joe Mauer, sending the game to extra innings.

But this left Mike Redmond and Craig Monroe in the lineup as the Twins' middle infielders. That certainly wasn't going to work! So Howie Clark—who only played in four games with the Twins—entered the game at second base, and the designated hitter Brendan Harris came in to play shortstop ... and thus the Twins lost the DH.

Bobby Korecky came in to pitch with the bases loaded and one in the top of the 11th and retired Ian Kinsler and Michael Young to get out of the jam. Korecky then came to the plate in the bottom of the 11th and hit a one-out ground-ball single to right. Brendan Harris then singled and Mauer walked to load the bases, with Korecky representing the winning run on third, but Justin Morneau struck out and Michael Cuddyer grounded out to end the inning. (So both teams had the bases loaded with one out in the 11th inning but failed to score!)

Korecky set the Rangers down in order in the top of the 12th, and Howie Clark was hero in the bottom of the inning, hitting a walk-off double to center scoring Carlos Gómez.

And that's how Bobby Korecky got his first major league win and the only hit by a pitcher in Metrodome history.

this sent me to baseball reference to look up 2008 Twins stats. I know I watched games that season, but I have no memory of Craig Monroe. He appeared in 58 games as a DH (with a .679 OPS...) as noted Howie Clark appeared in 4 games and had 2 hits - both doubles.

Mauer, Morneau, Kubel and Span had solid years. Scott Baker and Glen Perkins (as a starter) led the pitching staff for a team that went 88-75.

this sent me to baseball reference to look up 2008 Twins stats. I know I watched games that season, but I have no memory of Craig Monroe. He appeared in 58 games as a DH (with a .679 OPS...) as noted Howie Clark appeared in 4 games and had 2 hits - both doubles.

Mauer, Morneau, Kubel and Span had solid years. Scott Baker and Glen Perkins (as a starter) led the pitching staff for a team that went 88-75.
Lost Game 163 to the White Sox.

That era (late 2000's to early 2010's) isn't well known to me as I was in Iowa (lived about 30 miles form Missouri border) and the Twins were blacked out, along with 5 other teams. I wanted to give MLB money but they said no.

Consider yourself lucky that you have no memory of the Craig Monroe Twins Era. I've been trying to wipe that from my memory for 15 years.

Rocco would have PH for a left-handed hitting pitcher....

Guaranteed win tonight. Rocco has put together such a forward-thinking and innovative linuep once again that it can't possibly fail.

With the new scheduling format, it would be interesting to see how many more games the Twins play against teams in the Eastern Time Zone. These real early starts during the week are killing my ability to watch games because they get done so early.

In addition to that, almost everyone has gone to starting games 20-30 minutes earlier than they used to. It's kinda like they've gone too far in the other direction. It used to be games would end so late and now they end so early. I wish they would at least go back to the 7:05-7:10 start times.

With the new scheduling format, it would be interesting to see how many more games the Twins play against teams in the Eastern Time Zone. These real early starts during the week are killing my ability to watch games because they get done so early.

In addition to that, almost everyone has gone to starting games 20-30 minutes earlier than they used to. It's kinda like they've gone too far in the other direction. It used to be games would end so late and now they end so early. I wish they would at least go back to the 7:05-7:10 start times.
Not really related to what you're talking about, but the Twins announced that they are moving up first pitch vs. the Rangers on Friday night to 6pm. Apparently some other Texas team is across the street as well that night and they're trying to ease traffic.

Guaranteed win tonight. Rocco has put together such a forward-thinking and innovative linuep once again that it can't possibly fail.
It's a lefty. You must bench Kepler, Larnach and Julien for Margot, Vazquez and Farmer. Also, Vazquez will start 2 of 3 in this series at catcher because it's his "turn".

It's a lefty. You must bench Kepler, Larnach and Julien for Margot, Vazquez and Farmer. Also, Vazquez will start 2 of 3 in this series at catcher because it's his "turn".
They are going to let him walk anyway because they can replace him in-house cheaply, but why on earth would Kepler even consider resigning here?

They went from terrible hitting to great hitting and now back to trash.

Top Bottom