All Things 2024 Minnesota Twins In-Season Thread

I admittedly lost touch with the prospect game (outside of the high end guys) years ago - is there a general consensus among the experts as far as where our prospect pool ranks among other teams?

Keith Law in The Athletic had MN at 17th in his pre-season ranking. Law says the Twins' ranking was hurt by apparently missing on the 1st-round picks in 2019 (Keoni Cavaco) and 2020 (Aaron Sabato), and trading the 1st-round pick in 2021 (Chase Petty)

ESPN had the Twins 15th in the pre-season rankings. ESPN liked Walker Jenkins and the trade acquisition of Gabriel Gonzalez. also liked some pitchers who were taken lower in the draft, including Festa, Culpepper and Matthews.

Keith Law in The Athletic had MN at 17th in his pre-season ranking. Law says the Twins' ranking was hurt by apparently missing on the 1st-round picks in 2019 (Keoni Cavaco) and 2020 (Aaron Sabato), and trading the 1st-round pick in 2021 (Chase Petty)

ESPN had the Twins 15th in the pre-season rankings. ESPN liked Walker Jenkins and the trade acquisition of Gabriel Gonzalez. also liked some pitchers who were taken lower in the draft, including Festa, Culpepper and Matthews.
Thank you!

Tim Kurkjian was on the Dan Patrick show and shared some interesting Babe Ruth stats.

- The Babe had 17 Career CG Shut Outs. That's as many as another Red Sox HoF Pitcher, Pedro Martinez. Ruth accomplished that while only being a starting pitcher for 3 seasons, 2 halves of others, plus a handful of other appearances.

I looked it up and it's more than any Active MLB Pitcher. Clayton Kershaw is close with 15, but after that it's Justin Verlander with 9.

- Despite his rep for his size, the Bambino had 136 career triples. That ranks 71st All Time.

There are no Active MLB Players that are even near 100. Charlie Blackmon with the Rockies notched his 66th earlier this year.

Tim Kurkjian was on the Dan Patrick show and shared some interesting Babe Ruth stats.

- The Babe had 17 Career CG Shut Outs. That's as many as another Red Sox HoF Pitcher, Pedro Martinez. Ruth accomplished that while only being a starting pitcher for 3 seasons, 2 halves of others, plus a handful of other appearances.

I looked it up and it's more than any Active MLB Pitcher. Clayton Kershaw is close with 15, but after that it's Justin Verlander with 9.

- Despite his rep for his size, the Bambino had 136 career triples. That ranks 71st All Time.

There are no Active MLB Players that are even near 100. Charlie Blackmon with the Rockies notched his 66th earlier this year.
The advantage he had was the stadiums were huge back then. Yankee stadium was 490 feet to left center. Fenway Park was 488 to center when he played there. Even places like Connie Mack stadium in Philly where he played a lot was 515 feet at one point.

The advantage he had was the stadiums were huge back then. Yankee stadium was 490 feet to left center. Fenway Park was 488 to center when he played there. Even places like Connie Mack stadium in Philly where he played a lot was 515 feet at one point.
He also had 3 home seasons with the Yankees at the Polo Grounds which had some funky dimensions, including a really deep center field.

His career high was 16 in 1921, which was while they were still at the PG.

On this date in 1986, Kirby Puckett hit his thirteenth home run in just the Twins' 33rd game of the season.

And that's after hitting zero in 1984 and only four in 1985.

Must have started taking a new multivitamin. Or took Tony Oliva's advice about incorporating a leg kick.

On this date in 1986, Kirby Puckett hit his thirteenth home run in just the Twins' 33rd game of the season.

And that's after hitting zero in 1984 and only four in 1985.

Must have started taking a new multivitamin. Or took Tony Oliva's advice about incorporating a leg kick.
Both can be true.

Minnesota people with Xfinity you can watch 3 games coming up this fall on Roku.

was reading an article about this that claimed the games would be streaming for free on therokuchannel.com. I will have to investigate further to see if this is one of those deals where you have to set up an account or what. but it used the word "free" several times.

was reading an article about this that claimed the games would be streaming for free on therokuchannel.com. I will have to investigate further to see if this is one of those deals where you have to set up an account or what. but it used the word "free" several times.
If you have an actual Roku it's just sort of there. Don't recall ever signing in. But maybe if you are viewing via their website you have to.

If you have an actual Roku it's just sort of there. Don't recall ever signing in. But maybe if you are viewing via their website you have to.

no, don't have a Roku. my impression was that even with a Roku, you have to establish an account to view certain programs, but I could be wrong. in the end, it's 3 games out of 162. If I wind up listening on the radio, so be it. life will go on.

The Phillies are the first team to win 30 games. Interesting of note, in the 43 games they've played so far, only 6 have been against teams with a winning record, by far the lowest in MLB. For comparison, the Twins have played 27 against teams that currently have a winning record.

8 years ago today, Big Papi hit a walkoff double to join Hank Aaron and Barry Bonds as the only members of the 500 HRs & 600 doubles club 😮

Since then they’ve been joined by Albert Pujos and Miguel Cabrera.

Rocco really breaking out the A lineup for the Yankees. Margot, Vazquez and Farmer starting. Kepler and Larnach on the bench. The spreadsheet decreed it so.

I dislike the all righty lineup. IMO, it makes it easier for pitcher to get in the groove and then you start pinch hitting guys like crazy in middle innings when they change pitchers. Then you have no bench left. I'll take Kepler and Kiriloff against lefties vs Farmer and Margot. Hope they prove me wrong.

I dislike the all righty lineup. IMO, it makes it easier for pitcher to get in the groove and then you start pinch hitting guys like crazy in middle innings when they change pitchers. Then you have no bench left. I'll take Kepler and Kiriloff against lefties vs Farmer and Margot. Hope they prove me wrong.
I like the eye test. Max Kepler passes the test right now. Hot streaks are real. And they don't last forever. Kepler is batting .400 over the last 15 games. I guess his numbers vs. lefties on the year aren't good enough. He's only batting .421.

I am getting reports that Willie has not been great in center. Can anyone able to watch the game confirm.

I am getting reports that Willie has not been great in center. Can anyone able to watch the game confirm.
There was one tonight that he probably should have had, but there have also been bad defensive plays in left, 3rd and some 2B/SS miscommunication, so everyone is getting in in the fun tonight.

What a clown show in CF by Castro. Letting Taylor walk for Margot remains just an obvious terrible decision right up there with trading Polanco for two injured pitchers in Falvey's great off-season. It should be illegal to start Margot and Vazquez in the same game. Just DFA Margot, invent an injury for Vazquez and get Camargo and Wallner up.

Maybe the stadium should institute a fan rule that prohibits grown men fans bringing a mitt to a game.

Happy 43rd birthday to 2006 American League MVP Justin Morneau.

Fun Fact: He hit two home runs on his birthday in both 2007 and 2009. (Both homers in 2009 came off Phil Hughes.)

Top Bottom