Zulgad: Don’t get defensive: Fleck might have little choice but to fire coordinator

If you feel like the scheme is OK and coaching is inadequate, if he fires Robb Smith will he find another coach willing to reuse Smith's scheme? Will that coach legitimately be better than Smith? Can the team be successful in that scenario?

Agree. Ironically, this is what Leach was faced with in bringing in Claeys. Schematically, he was similar but previous coach used terminology that was different so Claeys learned the Defensive Terminology and then applied it to his - which, according to the presser this week by Leach - was helpful. I point that out as ironic and not to have TC / Fleck debates and if that type of situation arises - it’s probably a smoother transition for the new DC to adjust their nomenclature.

Regardless of what is done in regards to Smith, something has to change.

Guess we'll see. Remember when Gopher offenses of yore were scoring 13 points every week and many were clamoring for Limegrover to be fired? We had the same arguments. RUTM. Ever heard of a screen pass? Well, we can't score with no QB and no WRs. The OL sucks. Their O was fine at NIU...we just need better players. In the end, Limegrover stayed until Kill walked out the door. Time will tell if this situation goes down differently.

Guess we'll see. Remember when Gopher offenses of yore were scoring 13 points every week and many were clamoring for Limegrover to be fired? We had the same arguments. RUTM. Ever heard of a screen pass? Well, we can't score with no QB and no WRs. The OL sucks. Their O was fine at NIU...we just need better players. In the end, Limegrover stayed until Kill walked out the door. Time will tell if this situation goes down differently.

People can disagree with me, but this is where I think things are at regarding Robb Smith.

1. PJ still believes in Robb Smith 100%
2. The latest issue is guys are getting confused trying to cover-up weaknesses. They'll try to stop scheming to cover up weak players and just play more "straight up".
3. If PJ loses faith in Robb Smith, no changes will be made until after the 2019 class is signed. The moves will be made swiftly.
4. As the season wraps up the last 5 games we're hoping the defense plays better against some less potent teams (Indy, Illinois, NW, and even Wisconsin... Purdue could be painful).

Top Bottom