Zack Annexstad is still on the roster. I checked.

I agree Zack or another backup should have played, but I think PJ must feel like if he does that, that he is sending a message to the team that they are giving up. He must believe so strongly in not sending that message to his team that he refuses to play the backups.

I agree Zack or another backup should have played, but I think PJ must feel like if he does that, that he is sending a message to the team that they are giving up. He must believe so strongly in not sending that message to his team that he refuses to play the backups.

Fleck has always seemed hesitant to make a change at QB, even in blowout wins. I really don't understand the value of leaving Morgan out there when the game was out of reach. Give someone else some live reps at least so that if the time comes where they need to play they have some experience to draw on.

Need to build depth and that's accomplished with game reps; you never know when an injury is going to happen and it also propels backups development in my opinion. Brewster was insane that he never sat Webber no matter how bad the lose was, especially when you had a prized backup like Marquis waiting for reps.

Also keeps the backups more dialed in as they know they'll get some PT and fosters team unity - all true teammates want to see Hosea get a hoop.

With all its challenges, the defense did enough this game for this offense to win the game...or at least the offense from the last two games.

This one is easy. You make Iowa earn the shutout. Nothing more to discuss.

rf6
That might work in a game like last night when behind, but it doesn't explain last week when we were ahead by that much and still no back ups got to play. What kind of message does it send to the team that starters play regardless of the score. What back up is going to bust his ass all year long in practice knowing he has no shot at playing, even in a blowout one way or the other?
I know PJ has talked that they hold a scrimmage with the back ups on the day or two after a game, but what fun is it to do in a practice. Players want to play in games, regardless of the score.

Nobody is in any doghouse.

Remember 2018? How long Fleck kept a gimpy, struggling Annexstad in the games????

Fleck is a stubborn mule.
So he is Jerry kill. Let’s his star qb walk out and then we get crap at qb.

Maybe PJ won’t play a back-up QB in the 4Q of games that are either well in hand or hopelessly lost because, given Tanner’s up-and-down season so far, he doesn’t want a good performance by a back-up to start a QB controversy(?). Just another headache to deal with. Why PJ won’t spell Mo in those situations is a real puzzler, though. No way for us to know whether Mo is starting to get beat down by the season. He’s amazing but human; 130+ carries in 4 games, more and more of them seemingly inside the tackles, is asking a lot. Hell, give Preston Jelen a shot if his legs are fresh.

Maybe PJ won’t play a back-up QB in the 4Q of games that are either well in hand or hopelessly lost because, given Tanner’s up-and-down season so far, he doesn’t want a good performance by a back-up to start a QB controversy(?). Just another headache to deal with. Why PJ won’t spell Mo in those situations is a real puzzler, though. No way for us to know whether Mo is starting to get beat down by the season. He’s amazing but human; 130+ carries in 4 games, more and more of them seemingly inside the tackles, is asking a lot. Hell, give Preston Jelen a shot if his legs are fresh.
Or Bryce Williams (who was available to play vs Iowa). Or Jason Williamson (2019 Minnesota Mr. Football) if he was healthy and ready. Or Ky Thomas (2020 4* recruit). Or Kendal Moore (2020, walk-on?).

Someone brought up the point of, well maybe none of these other guys can pass-pro, so we can't trust them to go in and then the defense would know it's obviously going to be a handoff.

That's fine, when there's still a chance in the game. Sure. But in garbage time, who cares if they know it's a handoff. Or you could do a play-action pass, too. Who cares. Just give me fresh legs/body and someone hungry to make a play.

Seems like the following is a thing, to some degree: PJ has his "favorites". And if you're not one of those players, you might as well not even be on the team.

If this is the case, and I hope it is not, I would have to seriously question his leadership and decision making ability. Difficult conversations, F.A.M.I.L.Y, etc, would ring pretty hollow.

Wisconsin rolled Michigan last night by about the score we rolled Illinois. Wisconsin recorded 8 players with rushing statistics besides Mertz. This is how you build depth experienced with true game speed. This is how you keep your top RBs fresh throughout the game ... and strong as the brutal season wears on. Rotation adds another wrinkle for tired defenses to deal with, as different RBs often presents something of a change of pace. And it keeps your younger RBs heads and hearts in the game.

Last edited:

Top Bottom