Zach Lofton Update

I would bet players transferring from mid-majors to high majors are usually better than players transferring from a high major. If you're leaving a big-time school, more often than not it means you aren't cut out for big-time basketball and need to drop a level. I'd prefer not to get those players.

If we're looking at transfers I'd feel a lot better if they were leaving a program further up the food chain and not from a mid-major worse than us. King and Lofton may be great, but it's tough to get very excited about transfers from Drake and Illinois State.

the historical success of Ill State and the U in basketball struck me as being similar. they're actually a bit ahead of the U in program wins all time. very modest NCAA success, like the U. And, the U has never beaten the yardbirds (actually, looks like the two teams have never played one another)

Marcus tweeted a story saying Lofton would be applying for hardship waiver to play right away but even Zach doesn't think it will be granted. Doesn't sound like he will be walking on. Seems to have a rep that I hope doesn't follow him here

I think he is right. There's talk about the NCAA doing away with the hardship waiver anyway so it sounds like they are souring on it.

the historical success of Ill State and the U in basketball struck me as being similar. they're actually a bit ahead of the U in program wins all time. very modest NCAA success, like the U. And, the U has never beaten the yardbirds (actually, looks like the two teams have never played one another)

please tell me you're being sarcastic....

You are on an amazing roll of BS today! Keep up the good work!

On the contrary, I think GophersOnTheRise has a good point. There are exceptions, certainly, but I suspect most transfers from power conference schools are doing so because they weren't getting playing time. If they're not getting playing time, they're probably not as talented as hoped for.

Ok, beating the Yardbirds with either Clapton, Beck, or Page would be tough. Beyond that your post makes little sense to me.

please tell me you're being sarcastic....

not entirely. depends on what you want to measure for success. ultimately the point is ZL would be joining the Gophers from a program with some basketball history

Ill State does have more program wins than the U. Both schools are in the top 50 for total number of wins
I think the U has 7 wins in 8 trips to the tourney (I forget which years don't count anymore), Ill State has 3 wins in 6 trips.
-my preference for program success is tourney performance. neither program is in the top 100 in tourney appearances

If success is attendance or players in the NBA, then the U is far and away more successful

I love my Gopher basketball, just like I love my cubs. at least with the Gophers I only have to go back to 1919 for a championship

On the contrary, I think GophersOnTheRise has a good point. There are exceptions, certainly, but I suspect most transfers from power conference schools are doing so because they weren't getting playing time. If they're not getting playing time, they're probably not as talented as hoped for.
Exactly.

not entirely. depends on what you want to measure for success. ultimately the point is ZL would be joining the Gophers from a program with some basketball history

Ill State does have more program wins than the U. Both schools are in the top 50 for total number of wins
I think the U has 7 wins in 8 trips to the tourney (I forget which years don't count anymore), Ill State has 3 wins in 6 trips.
-my preference for program success is tourney performance. neither program is in the top 100 in tourney appearances

If success is attendance or players in the NBA, then the U is far and away more successful

I love my Gopher basketball, just like I love my cubs. at least with the Gophers I only have to go back to 1919 for a championship

You are equating 60 years of "program wins" while in the now defunct IIAC with Big Ten wins?

Just asking.

You are equating 60 years of "program wins" while in the now defunct IIAC with Big Ten wins?

Just asking.

not at all. i would point to the number of players in the nba to suggest the quality of play is different. more recently RPI and other math models. But, our wins and participation in the Big Ten hasn't translated into a different level of tourney success vs ILL State's tourney record

regarding program wins: I'm using http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_o...s_in_NCAA_Division_I_men's_college_basketball
some of the data predates the NCAA and BigTen

ISU's claim to fame is former #1 overall draft pick Doug Collins in like 1974.
They even named there arena Doug Collins Court.

I am a very big Doug Collins fan. Very good coach and I enjoy his commentary and insight.
I believe the U has a lot more history though.

You are on an amazing roll of BS today! Keep up the good work!

Your continuous acerbic and unfunny attempts at humor seem like a tiresome audition for Rolling Stone or a cathartic attempt to forget your days as a ballboy.Why such anger Coach Katze?

What kind of production do other expect out of Zach if (huge if) he were able to play this season?

I'd guess 11mpg, 6ppg.

It is a sad day in the Gopher Basketball world when Zach Lofton is starting at 3.

The options would be Lofton, McNeil or Morris. I still believe Coach P. and staff will pull a rabbit out of their hat and find an experienced 3. Lofton is much better than people are giving him credit for. In 2015/16 I like the idea of having juniors Lofton and McNeil, senior Morris and 2 freshman wings.

It is a sad day in the Gopher Basketball world when Zach Lofton is starting at 3.

To the above, I do not expect him be playing next year, but there is a 2% chance... So what kind of minutes & numbers have?

As to Bucky. Ouch.

You diss Carlos Morris for being lightly recruited but you love Lofton?

When we signed Morris we had one scholarship left. I felt much better about signing him once we had three available. I still believe we will sign an experienced wing and Morris will come off the bench. I have no problem with Morris off the bench, I have a big problem expecting him to replace a 3 year B1G starter, Austin Hollins.

When we signed Morris we had one scholarship left. I felt much better about signing him once we had three available. I still believe we will sign an experienced wing and Morris will come off the bench. I have no problem with Morris off the bench, I have a big problem expecting him to replace a 3 year B1G starter, Austin Hollins.

Would you have a problem with Lofton replacing Andre Hollins?

How come we never had a damn Zach Lofton commits thread? It took me an entire day to figure it out. At least change the title of the thread. Anyways very good pickup. Over 11ppg and ISU's second leading scorer as only a soph, pretty big pickup if you ask me.

Has Lofton ever officially committed? None of these Spring recruits have signed yet, so that is still something to watch. I believe all 3 are still trying to get thier paperwork in order and/or get a qualifying test score.

Would you have a problem with Lofton replacing Andre Hollins?

If push comes to shove, no. I'm expecting Coach P. will have a top 30-35 recruiting class come November. I'm hoping for Jarvis Johnson, Alex I. and 2 wings. I hope the top wing can start, but Lofton may be a safer choice.

Has Lofton ever officially committed? None of these Spring recruits have signed yet, so that is still something to watch. I believe all 3 are still trying to get thier paperwork in order and/or get a qualifying test score.

All 3 as in Gaston, Konate, and Lofton are committed. None of the 3 have officially signed.

Seems official to me.
<blockquote class="twitter-tweet" lang="en"><p>I WILL BE SIGNING TO THE UNIVERSITY OF MINNESOTA TO CONTINUE MY COLLEGE BASKETBALL CAREER TMRW ! <a href="https://twitter.com/search?q=%23GOGOPHERS&src=hash">#GOGOPHERS</a> <a href="https://twitter.com/search?q=%23NATION&src=hash">#NATION</a></p>— Zach Lofton (@ZachLofton) <a href="https://twitter.com/ZachLofton/statuses/459161889335824384">April 24, 2014</a></blockquote>
<script async src="//platform.twitter.com/widgets.js" charset="utf-8"></script>

<blockquote class="twitter-tweet" lang="en"><p>I WILL BE SIGNING TO THE UNIVERSITY OF MINNESOTA TO CONTINUE MY COLLEGE BASKETBALL CAREER TMRW ! <a href="https://twitter.com/search?q=%23GOGOPHERS&src=hash">#GOGOPHERS</a> <a href="https://twitter.com/search?q=%23NATION&src=hash">#NATION</a></p>— Zach Lofton (@ZachLofton) <a href="https://twitter.com/ZachLofton/statuses/459161889335824384">April 24, 2014</a></blockquote>
<script async src="//platform.twitter.com/widgets.js" charset="utf-8"></script>

Funny that he worded it that way because he definitely hasn't signed yet.

Top Bottom