Your three keys to defeating Purdue on Saturday...

Reaction score
here are mine in no particular order...

> mistake-free fb: no stupid penalties, interceptions or fumbles;

> dominate TOP;

> Brew/JF out-scheme P using Weber/Deck plus NT-A, Green, Stod, McK, Hayo etc

OK...the Gs would be breaking their mold...but they have done most of this vs NW.

For this thread...3 only...keep it simple for the Gs and us!

Based on the losses this season:

1. Stop the run, which will get the defense off the field.

2. Don't shoot ourselves in the foot with penalties. Big plays vs. Wisconsin were negated on dumb penalties.

3. O line chooses to pass-protect.

1. Stop the run.
2. Pressure the QB
3. Another big timely turnover(s)

Purdue is No. 2 in the nation in turnovers (16), so definitely have to be on the plus-side in differential ... they are better at running it, so concur on stopping the run. Their secondary is good ... No. 1 in the Big Ten in pass yards allowed last year with most, if not all the starters back (can't exactly remember, think it's all) ... so Weber can't tip his passes as has been documented in another thread.

1. Get turnovers and score TD's not FG's
2. Stop the run - we haven't all year, so it would be a good time to start
3. No dumb mistakes - penalties and bad turnovers killed us last week, avoid those and we'll be much better.

1. Get turnovers and score TD's not FG's
2. Stop the run - we haven't all year, so it would be a good time to start
3. No dumb mistakes - penalties and bad turnovers killed us last week, avoid those and we'll be much better.

CHEATER! :) (you added two goals in goal 1 -- can we have your back up post for you 1-2 posts a day? :) ).

1. Limit penalties, particularly 10 and 15 yarders
2. Make 3rd down stops on defense
3. Tighten up the "soft spot" that appears to always be open between the LBs and DBs in pass defense-this would also help in accomplishing #2

1. Take advantage of your return game. A 50-yd kickoff return does you no good if you have to punt after 3 plays.
2. Don't be afraid to take a shot downfield-keep the defense honest.
3. Somebody-anybody-get to the Purdue QB.

Not trying to be snarky here, but I was going to post, then I stepped back, looked at the previous posts, and thought... are these really keys to beating Purdue or keys to winning any football game? I don't know that there's anything listed here that I wouldn't want to see from the team every week. Maybe this thread should be titled: How to win football games.

1. Win the turnover battle
2. Run the ball well
3. Pass protect well
4. Show diversity in the play calling to stretch the field
5. End drives with TDs instead of FGs
6. No dumb penalties
7. Stop the run
8. Pressure the QB
9. Make stops on 3rd down
10. Perform well on special teams
11. Out-scheme the other team in game-planning

1.) Defensive line controls line of scrimmage, everything else falls into place.

parkinglotgopher...

Nice summary and right on...every HC should be stressing that list...but if you were the HC and heading out the tunnel...WHICH 3 things would you want the Gs to keep in their minds all game to defeat this particular opponent?

Tough for any pumped-up team to keep 10+ items on the front-burner all game long. Also, for example, no need to really focus on stopping the run if the opponent has no run game...P does, so this Saturday that makes a lot of sense.

1) Get the interception when it is in your hands. There have been a number of times when a defender has been in great position to get an interception, but it gets dropped. It's good that they get in there to knock the ball down, but if we can get a little better at hanging onto potential interceptions, that could really change things.

2) Avoid penalties.

3) Find the open holes. Sometimes the hole you intended to go through isn't there, but there is a hole that opens up somewhere else. Having that ability to notice these holes and get to them makes a back that much better.

Two words

SCREEN PASS

For some reason, those two words are not in the Gopher's vocabulary, even under Mason despite having NFL RB talent.

How many screen passes in a game do you have to run before it is in your vocabulary? I can't remember how many were called this last game, but we were going to run one on 1st and goal that weber audibled to a fade route to Decker. And of course the one that turned into a momentum changing interception in the beginning of the 3rd Quarter. My memory is thin. Is this the game that we through some TE screens in also? I can think of 3 running back screens that were called.

I wonder if some of the OL limitations documented thoroughly here...athleticism, mobility/foot-speed etc... lead to problems executing screens and thus reluctance to call them?

I'm not sure Fisch is a Green Bay Packer screen 'em to death Pro Offense. We have run Bubble screens, TE screens, and RB screens. I wouldn't say we are limited by our OL, but maybe by the number of plays we get a game?

1) Get the interception when it is in your hands. There have been a number of times when a defender has been in great position to get an interception, but it gets dropped. It's good that they get in there to knock the ball down, but if we can get a little better at hanging onto potential interceptions, that could really change things.

2) Avoid penalties.

3) Find the open holes. Sometimes the hole you intended to go through isn't there, but there is a hole that opens up somewhere else. Having that ability to notice these holes and get to them makes a back that much better.

dropped INT's drive me carzy!

Not to pick on the OL, but after that DL wave surges toward the qb, the OL has the primary job of making the screen work for big yards downfield...at least in my observation of screen mechanics/strategy over the years.

Going back quite a bit, my favorite example of this was Landry's Cowboys...sheer masters of screen execution with various backs over the years. I've never seen anything approaching that at the collegiate level, but of course, we're taking about elite OL athletes in pro ball.

I only need one:

1) Score more points than Purdue

1. Eliminate or at least limit penalties.
2. Win the turnover battle.
3. Finish drives.

dpodoll68....

Agreed. For the "one-key" fan, this is it!

However, from the HC's point of view, he generally finds it a good idea to tell the troops how exactly to get more points...especially as the game unfolds.

My three key's defense and offense

Defensive ends need to be able to shed blocks or at least keep the O-line occupied so the linebackers are free and clear to make tackles.

If they isolate one on one on Tray Simmons on a bubble screen a safety needs to get over there not be blocked and make a tackle.

When #3 Royston goes to make a tackle he doesn't just throw his dang shoulder into the guy or launch his shoulders into a guy and bounce off. That is not even pop warner level tackling attempts.

Troy Stoudimire and Eric Decker get 8-10 touches each either passes, option pitches or
screens.

Adam Weber doesn't throw any balls into the turf on easy throws and if the field is wide open in front of him, he is permitted to run for as long as he can

The Offensive line must not give up more than 1-2 sacks and at least average 4-5 yards a carry on the ground with +100 yards of rushing.

1. Dramatically improve both weak side protection and gap control on defense.
2. Get rid of the ball quickly and design an offensive game plan that's predicated on taking advantage of Purdue's aggressiveness with screens and draws.
3. Do not force the issue. Weber needs to concentrate on making the easy throws and taking care of the ball. Just worry about extending drives and getting to the next first down.

1. Discipline ...like Air Force...machine like and no mistakes.

2. Run the ball and if it is Weber, so be it...but at least keep the d-line and LBs honest.

3. Throw to the TEs... there is nothing wrong with 6 or 7 yards a pop...or something else for the defense to watch.

" Brew/JF out-scheme P using Weber/Deck plus NT-A, Green, Stod, McK, Hayo etc"

I haven't read any posts past this - so I bet it was mentioned but... I cringed when I read this. I feel like Brew and/or JF outscheme themselves every game all the time. We do WAY WAY too much in the backfield and way too often our plays do not develop. Let's just play straightforward for once. Please.

Would be great if the Gs had enough talent to just line-up, dominate as Sconnie did last Saturday during the 2H and run just a few plays repetitively like the Vikes during the glory years.

Conceptually very simple...extremely difficult unless you can dominate the line of scrimmage. That indeed might happen in a few years if Brew keeps recruiting at a high level vs BT opponents.

In the meantime, while an obvious talent gap exists in key areas vs the BT biggies and the mid-tier, Brew/JF better have a game plan every week that aggressively exposes any weaknesses they uncover in the opposition. This week its Purdue and it gets considerably more difficult next week in Columbus.

I only need one:

1) Score more points than Purdue
+1

But I can add two more:

2) Hold Purdue to less points than we score.

3) Arrive early, stay late & cheer loudly for the Gophers (and the QB that's in the game) ... :clap:

countdownclub.jpg

Due to poor forecast weather conditions:

Stop their run.

Establish our run.

Limit our penalties.

Top Bottom