Your the coach, which JUCO positions do yo address?

We don't want to sign too many JuCo guys at the same position. 2 DB's at the most I think.

Bringing in a few JuCos especially on defense would be alright for the reasons already mentioned. On offense, I think we have to look for a JuCo TE/HB, unless they think one of the walk ons or incoming frosh can contribute right away next season.

On defense I think we are fine at DE. The two freshman have been playing fairly well and we have depth at that position. Plus Cockran has supposedly looked good so far in practice. We definitely need help at DT and in the secondary.

By the way, does anyone know if Isaac Fruechete got hurt this year? The Rochester CC roster has him listed as a redshirt. Did he do that so he had another year of eligibility at the U or did something happen?

I think he is in school but choose to sit out this season.

He is coming to MN in January. He did it so that he would have 3 years of eligibility, so essentially he is burning his RS this season, focusing on academics so he can come to the U in January, and he will be a RS-SO for 2012 (and be at spring practice).

Also remember we have Derreck Engel walking on here. He went to Winona (from Chaska), played two seasons and was All-Northern Sun. He is a skinny kid but will probably be one of the faster kids on our roster (he also ran track and put up impressive times at Winona), he's like 6'2", and is sitting out this season. So he will have two seasons left.

Any position where the Gophers could recruit a potential difference maker, especially RB, WR, CB. They also probably need to take a JUCO S. I am against JUCO's if they are just another guy, obviously there will be busts (Hayo Carpenter, Rex Sharpe to name recent examples), but they should profile as impact guys for the team.

I think an under reported aspect of Kill's staff is their very strong relationships to the Kansas JUCOs, and their success at bringing JUCOs in to plug holes.
JUCOs are not program savers, they shouldn't be used to add depth, but to impact and play right away.

JUCO signings like Marc Cheatham, Serge Elizee, Durrell Clark James, Logan Uu, Rex Sharpe, David Pittman, Hayo Carpenter, Herschel Thornton, and Dwight Tillman are not a good use of JUCO signings, however had they all had impact like some of the good signings(Small, Brock, McKinley, Simmons, Lawrence, Wills) we may have won a few more games the past few years.

Identifying Moulton and Rabe has made the team better, both are playing impactful minutes, Harris apparently is in the doghouse which isn't a good sign, Crawford apparently couldn't get the summer school grades to play here, but this staff has a history of identifying good players from the JUCO ranks and plugging them in to help the team.

BTW it looks like we have offered 2 JUCO DT's recently in Toby Johnson, and Kevin Forston.

Top Bottom