Your level of "respect" for the Gopher's first opponent

What is your level of respect for MTSU

• Total voters

Did we change offensive schemes this year? I don't think I have heard that before. I know the center is back to calling blocking assignments instead of the quarterback but the hand signals are staying as they were. I thought the playbook was the same but we were concentrating on a subset of it (at least to start).

We didn't change schemes. Same scheme made simpler. Clyde is too busy being his normal negative self to notice he just made something up (I mean, it fits with his viewpoint so it must be true).

Hello, Gopher nation. I am a noob looking for a place to talk about the upcoming game. ESPN just doesn't get enough traffic on their conversations...so I just figured this would be the best place to go to. I was reading another thread that was discussing the temp/humidity. It might be hot, but I honestly don't believe it will be a huge factor. If Minnesota loses, it's cause they lost to a pretty good team...not the temperature. I also seen some mentioning the crowd for the game. I believe there will be around 26-27k on hand. Not a sellout. It is the first Big Ten team to come to Floyd, so there will be a nice crowd. Plus it will be on ESPNU. There was 28k at last years home opener, but that was vs a instate Rival. Memphis also brought a decent amount of fans too. Anyway, can't wait for the game. Only 12 more days! Good luck and Go Blue! :D

The Gophers will be unable to concentrate on the game whilst thinking of their ice-fishing holes, fat, pasty girlfriends, and plates of lefse big enough to founder a horse waiting for them back home.

Meanwhile, the Middle Tennessee State Anal Raiders, with their across-the-board speed, athleticism and quickness, possessed in levels heretofore unseen in college (nay, professional) football, will beat the Minnysoota Goofers in a landslide. 63-7.

I don't think you're giving MTSU enough credit.

63-7 - ha!
That will be the score at the end of the 1st quarter. Then Adam "Ole" Weber will suffer extreme cramps from a combination of too much pickled herring and never having been exposed to temperatures exceeding 53 degrees. Marquise Gray, being from down south in Indiana, will have known to drink plenty of pickle juice before the game and, while he'll look good, the receivers will all be discombobulated from experiencing sun angles higher than 15 degrees above the horizon for the first time and won't be able to decipher the cardinal directions.

Final Score:
MTSU: 116 Minnesota: 13 (with the final touchdown being junk points scored using only 9 of our Florida and Texas recruits on the field - after which point the PAT is rendered moot as the ball has melted from the Dante-like heat and humidity).

I know yall are just messin' around with these high scores and everything, but here's a fun fact not too many know about.

MTSU set a record when it won the highest-scoring NCAA Division I-A football game in history, 70-58 over the University of Idaho Vandals on October 6, 2001 at Floyd Stadium (128).

EDIT: Whoa, I take that back. I looked it up and it looks like it has been broken since then. In 2007, Navy outscored North Texas 74-62 (136). San Jose State also beat Rice in '04, 70-63 (133).

I know yall are just messin' around with these high scores and everything, but here's a fun fact not too many know about.

MTSU set a record when it won the highest-scoring NCAA Division I-A football game in history, 70-58 over the University of Idaho Vandals on October 6, 2001 at Floyd Stadium.

Who said anyone was "messin' around?"

The Gophers lost to Iowa 55-0 AT HOME less than 2 years ago. If MTSU can beat The University of Idaho with a score of 70, I don't think its too hard to imagine you guys pinning up 100+ points against the Gophers.

I'm not all into predicting games at this level.. But I'm gonna say it's going to be a close one (like the Auburn game last year).

Don't forget the word "Modern" when showing these scores.

MTSU set a record when it won the highest-scoring NCAA Division I-A football game in history, 70-58 over the University of Idaho Vandals on October 6, 2001 at Floyd Stadium (128).

EDIT: Whoa, I take that back. I looked it up and it looks like it has been broken since then. In 2007, Navy outscored North Texas 74-62 (136). San Jose State also beat Rice in '04, 70-63 (133).

Georgia Tech 222, Cumberland College(Ky) 0 in 1916.

As for the "Modern" records, the new overtime rules have certainly help to create some of those wild scores.

Georgia Tech 222, Cumberland College(Ky) 0 in 1916.

As for the "Modern" records, the new overtime rules have certainly help to create some of those wild scores.

I'm one of those throwbacks who misses the tie. There can be some insane scores when there is one OT period after another. It seems as if the football gods are trying to say "this is a tie game", but no one is listening. Maybe there should be a tie after 4 OT periods or something. I think it can be slightly misleading when we talk about the high scores of these extra OT games. People think of a regulation game when they think of these scores.

Yeah, the scores do get insane sometimes. You can have a game the was in the 20's ending in the 40's after OT. What if they could do like a Hockey shootout and only count the game winning TD or FG....or does that sound stupid? Lol

Yeah, the scores do get insane sometimes. You can have a game the was in the 20's ending in the 40's after OT. What if they could do like a Hockey shootout and only count the game winning TD or FG....or does that sound stupid? Lol

I'm with RR, I'm pretty old school on this. They dumped the ties during the season for BSC purposes. They didn't want to have to sort out "1/2" point (tie) games. The BSC powers also knew that the chances for a heavy underdog to win in overtime were greatly reduced. The stronger team then had the advantage in manpower and depth to make up for whatever emotional charge and mistakes lead to the underdog getting the game tied in the first place.

Let them use the two-point conversion to decide the game in regulation. The problem with that is Coaches HATE making those kind of decisions. If your a big time program make the big time call. What, you might lose the game? Kick the PAT and let's have an overtime boys!

My answer would be none of the above. I'd choose "game vs. solid non-BCS opponent but one a Big Ten program should be expected to win" if that were an option.

As long as the Gophers respect MTSU, that's all that matters. That shouldn't be a problem. Aren't the Gophers the only Big Ten team to ever lose to a Sun Belt school (FAU in Brew's first season)? Wouldn't want to make it 2 losses to the Sun Belt; the wolves certainly will be howling early if the Gophs start 0-1.

Top Bottom