Your 3 things the offense MUST do @tOSU...

Reaction score
My dicey take:

> work Deck/Green/Stod/J-T-A etc short;

> 4 downs inside the tOSU 40 (roll the dice);

> let Weber run.

Three only please...Keep it simple for Brew/JF/TD/Weber&Co!

My dicey take:

> work Deck/Green/Stod/J-T-A etc short;

> 4 downs inside the tOSU 40 (roll the dice);

> let Weber run.

Three only please...Keep it simple for Brew/JF/TD/Weber&Co!

The others have been beaten to death, but the roll the dice concept has been missing for the most part this year. Last year @Ill, we had a fake punt, we had a win come hell or high water attitude, and I remember the Ill fans commenting on how Brew was pulling out all the stops to win(now that I think of it, we did this against Cal too). Let just freaking go nuts, pull everything out and hope that Pryor continues to melt down. Stack the LOS on D, zone blitz and let our corners gamble, mess with Pryor as much as we can, until he proves he can beat us with his arm.

- Convert on a 3rd down

- Limit penalties

- Get the ball to Stod. on pass, hand off or direct snap. Let the playmaker make some plays with the ball

- Convert on a 3rd down

- Limit penalties

- Get the ball to Stod. on pass, hand off or direct snap. Let the playmaker make some plays with the ball

Yeah, I had expected him to play a much bigger role this year than he has so far.

Yeah, I had expected him to play a much bigger role this year than he has so far.

I sure hope they start giving him a bigger role since he is one of the more explosive players in space as we see on every kick off. I sit on the edge of my seat every time he touches the ball because you never know if he is about to break a long one. I dont get like that when they hand off to any of our backs although i think Whaley could be like that if the Oline can get it going.

1) Score lots of points
2) Not turn the ball over
3) Avoid penalties

1. Get at least 7 combined yards on 1st & 2nd downs.
2. Open up a frickin' hole for our rb's.
3. Work on our mid-field passing game; it seems like we either throw a pass within 2 yards of the line of scrimmage or 25 yards downfield. Lets hit that soft spot over the middle about 7 yards past the line.

1. Protect Weber
2. Take shots down the field.
3. Establish the run.

I think games are won and lost in the trenches... Pressure Pryor and establish a run. Has anyone mentioned giving Gray a series or two? :)

OL needs to do it's job.
Running game needs to be established.
No stupid "Weber" plays (INT's, balls thrown at shoelaces, etc)

WR's are just fine.

When it gets to this point in the season and you have no productivity on offense at all, there has to be a problem with the game plan and coaching.

Sure talent makes a huge difference and you are not going to dominate, but the complete lack of any productivity points to the inability to adjust to your strengths, getting the best people in the game, and creating a game plan where you can have some success, maybe limited but some. You don't keep doing the things that don't and are not going to work, just because that is the way you perceive the offense should be run. There are skilled people on this team, they are just not being utilized.

3. Work on our mid-field passing game; it seems like we either throw a pass within 2 yards of the line of scrimmage or 25 yards downfield. Lets hit that soft spot over the middle about 7 yards past the line.

One thing that's always bugged me is all the passes to the sideline. Weber doesn't exactly have a strong arm, and it just seems like they're asking for trouble throwing passes that take so long to get there. They've had some success with Tow-Arnett over the middle the few times they've gone there. They also ran a few slants to Green early in the year, but not many that I can remember since then. It just seems like that's a huge part of the field that they mostly ignore, and to me that would help take pressure off both Weber and the offensive line if they did more quicker throws over the middle. They need to get the ball out much quicker.

OL needs to do it's job.
Running game needs to be established.
No stupid "Weber" plays (INT's, balls thrown at shoelaces, etc)

WR's are just fine.

Except for blocking. I think Decker's the only one that blocks well.

4. Keep an eye on your young children around Buckeye fans.

Special teams score get 6pts
Def gets 6 pts
Weber runs for 3 1st downs

Dpodoll68, 2 games to goooooooooooooooooo!

McKnight is becoming a very good blocker.

go young

1. only play underclassmen in the first quarter
2. only try trick plays during the second quarter
3. punt on second down during the third quarter

then pick the best of the previous for the fourth

When it gets to this point in the season and you have no productivity on offense at all, there has to be a problem with the game plan and coaching.

Sure talent makes a huge difference and you are not going to dominate, but the complete lack of any productivity points to the inability to adjust to your strengths, getting the best people in the game, and creating a game plan where you can have some success, maybe limited but some. You don't keep doing the things that don't and are not going to work, just because that is the way you perceive the offense should be run. There are skilled people on this team, they are just not being utilized.

Couldn't agree more Jovs. It's one thing to have your game plan stifled by a good defense for a couple of possessions. However, the coaching staff should be able to adjust throughout the game and move the ball. There are teams with far less talent than the Gophers that are moving the ball.

If throwing to Stod hit him on the hands in stride. Cripes everytime they throw to him he has to make a circus catch just to complete the pass and by them his chances of doing any RAC is gone.

If throwing to Stod hit him on the hands in stride. Cripes everytime they throw to him he has to make a circus catch just to complete the pass and by them his chances of doing any RAC is gone.

I agree. Maybe The OC can continue to play with motion and shifting such as sending both Troy and Eric in motion. Make the defense choose their poison. Hopefully the D would collapse on Decker leaving Stoudermire open. This is assuming that Weber will have time to set his feet and throw.

Forgot to add score early. Even a field goal. We can't wait till the second half to find a way to score.....

I just hope we find something that we do well and then do it. I'm hoping it's some first down running. I hate 2nd and 10.

1) BLITZ!! BLITZ!! BLITZ!!
Tressel is going to be more conservative than ever now that TP is struggling so much. We need to blitz aggressively every down and press coverage on the outside. Their WRs will be open sometimes but Pryor has not shown the ability to get it to them without also throwing a bunch of picks. If the Gophers blitz they will force TOs. The worst thing the Gophers can do is rush 4 and allow the Buckeyes to run wild.

2) Pass to set up the run. Short routes, screens, slants, deeper stuff over the middle. OSU's front 7 is too good to run and/or dropback pass. The offense has to pass and it has to pass quickly.

3) Take chances. Go for it on 4th down inside the opponents' 40. Fake a punt or field goal. Run that play Decker to Gray play that worked against Cal. The Offense is struggling so Fisch has gotta be creative

We must run the football inside and gain yards there

We need to execute the inside trap play against these guy's and the counter trey to the right side. This is a must there DT are stout but a real strength on the Dline is the defensive ends so anything outside will require deception. DJ Buris he is a strong dude and a good center so is Matt Carufel at RG. We need to utilize them, they are our best guys. If we can get a little push and seal to the right, and get the FB through to seal the MB there should be some enough of a crease for Duanne Bennet or Kevin Whaley to run through and get 5-6 yards a crack. The tailbacks must hit the hole hard. I do not trust Ekseridge to do this, as he misses so many cut-backs. They are an agressive defense and like to crash the ends we need quick hitters up the gutt that use there agression against them. When you get them guessing inside trap, that is when you spring the counter trey to the right side. Carufel and Wills are strong enough to seal the right side of the line and cave it to the middle, if we can get that to happen a good head fake and false step inside then off tackle to the right side we can get some yards here, also with the defense loading up the middle for the fake. Play off of there agression once they start swarming to the right side hit them with the throw back to the quick out to Decker or the quick cross to the tight end. This is going to require Adam getting rid of the ball on time, snap it off when you see the break starting to develop not after. We need more than 4 seconds so the O-lineman on the left side of the line must be clear on who there responsibility is and actually block them. No more mental mistakes from that side of the line, read whats coming before your in the stance and react, hit your man hard in the chest, you have to at least get a piece of the guy.

Defensive side of the ball is simple contain, Pryor if you get him in stuck in the pocket his comfort level goes way down, the ends must pressure but maintain outside contain, he cannot get free to the outside where he is most comfortable. Small and Brown need to get imediate pressure up the middle and force there running game to Mckinley he is a good tackler. Read Pryors eyes he does tend to lock on a receiver quickly, we need rolled coverage to his anticipated read and need to get some picks. I think the secondary does a good job of covering they need to stay with there guy's longer and not give up, stay on there hip and stay with the man. We need turnovers like Purdue, and need to be hungry for creating turnovers. That does not mean get crazy and miss tackles because you are chopping at the ball. Secure the tackle first then a hat or hand to the ball.

Top Bottom