Young WR Development

BBShopGo4

Sec. 213, Row 29
Reaction score
Reading Marcus Fuller's blog it seems that DaJon McKnight has really stepped up and looks like the leading candidate to be the #2 WR. Anyone else a bit surprised and delighted by that?

First off, it means that more of the SO WRs are getting it. We saw some nice things from Green and Brandon late in the year. McKnight showed some flashes earlier last year, but then disappeared later in the season. I love his size. We certainly need more play makers to either take the focus off Decker or excel while the D takes Decker away.

With Hayo coming this summer and the apparent progression of the younger guys, I'm feeling better about our options this year.

If this turns out to be true. The Skyline 4 is going to end up being even better than expected. With all 4 hopefully being strong contributors in their second years. With McKnight and Stoudermire possibly making the biggest impacts this season. Turns out they werent just fillers to get the bigger fish to show up.

I'm confused by your comment about seeing great things from Brandon at the end of the year. Xzavian missed the end of the season due to a slipped disc in his back and he had to have surgery. My guess is that you were thinking Brodrick Smith (TD against Wisconsin) and said Brandon.

I do agree with your observation about McKnight. It looks like he has passed Smith up on the depth chart. I think the top two are still going to be Decker & Carpenter but it is good to see the competition with McKnight pushing Green for the #3 WR spot.

Oops...

I'm confused by your comment about seeing great things from Brandon at the end of the year. Xzavian missed the end of the season due to a slipped disc in his back and he had to have surgery. My guess is that you were thinking Brodrick Smith (TD against Wisconsin) and said Brandon.

You are correct. I was thinking Smith. My bad.

DaJon had one of my favorite catches last year when, on what seemed to be a broken play, he came across the back of the endzone to catch a TD pass. On that play he looked like a big pro type receiver, something we haven't had for a while.

Where has broderick smith been so far this spring? In everything I've read about the wr's it's been all about brandon, mcknight and green. Is he still in the mix for playing time this year because it seems like he was our 4th wideout last year.

Green made his mark a bit. Hopefully this news means others are stepping up and not that Green has stepped back. Next question, can Weber distribute to more than one target? Honest question, I love Weber.

Re: Weber

Next question, can Weber distribute to more than one target? Honest question, I love Weber.

I thought the same thing and almost posted it in my original. This is one area where Weber needs to show development. He needs to get through his progressions and not stare down the primary receiver. It can't be easy on him that he's been through so many offensive systems in his college career. But, the bottom line is that we need a QB who can find the open man and utilize all of his play makers. I hope it's Weber for this year! As Gray gets more comfortable, it should get interesting. Competition is good for the team!

i know decker was our only real offensive threat last year but many times weber was staring at decker from the moment he snapped the ball till it was on its way to decker. hopefully decker is still here next year

Broderick Smith

I think he hasn't been mentioned much as he is battling at the other WR spot. Green, McKnight & Brandon are fighting to be Decker's backup. What is happening on the other side of the field? I think Broderick Smith is competing with Kuznia to backup Hayo Carpenter. And that would leave Pittman as the #3 slot receiver, and Bryant Allen would be his backup once he's up here.

Someone should pose the question to Marcus about where all the WR's are lining up.

If Weber will throw to someone other than Decker I think you will find out we have alot of good receivers.

I thought the same thing and almost posted it in my original. This is one area where Weber needs to show development. He needs to get through his progressions and not stare down the primary receiver. It can't be easy on him that he's been through so many offensive systems in his college career. But, the bottom line is that we need a QB who can find the open man and utilize all of his play makers. I hope it's Weber for this year! As Gray gets more comfortable, it should get interesting. Competition is good for the team!

When Weber had the time, he seemed to nicely go through his progressions. But as the season wore on, the O Line wore down and he often didn't have the time to progress much past his primary target. If the O line can consistently give him any extra time at all, I think Weber will be able to distribute the ball to where it will do the most good. A good sign will be if he starts completing more 12 - 20 yard passes, which will show he has time for the longer patterns to develop. Last year, he had to take the short routes most often because he didn't have time for anything else.

I think having entire spring of throwing to everyone else will help Weber gain confidence in his other receivers and will lead to the ball being spread around more.

DaJon had one of my favorite catches last year when, on what seemed to be a broken play, he came across the back of the endzone to catch a TD pass. On that play he looked like a big pro type receiver, something we haven't had for a while.

You mean in the blow out loss to OSU?

Top Bottom