Young team, learning how to deal with adversity

Ogee Ogilthorpe

Over Macho Grande?
Reaction score
I'm extremely happy with the outcome of the game. Not just getting a win but how it happened. This team seems to take another step (in different ways each time) every time they take the floor. Tonight, it was overcoming another slow start but THIS time on the road.

A few notes:

Sampson and Iverson were REALLY getting pushed around in the paint, a fair amount of which should have been called probably, so Tubby went away from that and went small. The Iowa "bigs" were pushing and shoving them out of the lane and denying them both position and the ball. That pretty much forced the offense to start 30 feet from the basket way too often.

Despite this, Sampson and Iverson missed some bunnies down low that they just won't miss very often; along with a few Hawkeye circus shots, combined for a fast start for the Hawks.

This game, and probably even the OSU game, are games that the Gophers just didn't win under the previous regime. These are character building wins that are really going to do the Gophers a lot of good come February and March.

Ugly, ugly, ugly, but it sure doesn't look ugly in the W-L column.

Officiating was way too ticky-tack for BT basketball. There was less contact in this game than I've seen in a game in a while and both teams were still in the double bonus at the end. Gotta let them play a little bit.

If Westbrook doesn't leave his man wide open on Iowa's last 3-pointer and Nolen makes at least 1 of the 2 FT's he bricked, things wouldn't have been so tense.

Another factor was the Gophers depth and willingness to attack the rim in the second half.

Yeah, the bigs got pushed around a little bit. But I did notice a much more concerted effort by our guys to get into the paint in the second half, especially early on, which forced an already thin Iowa front court to foul a lot more than they had in the first half.

Once we started getting inside a little bit, like on the two baskets by Sampson and the three-point play by Carter, the defense started mixing and matching things up on Iowa more effectively and you could see the Hawkeyes start to tense up.

All and all, it probably should have been a five or six point win, especially if Al hits those two free throws at the end. But, I guess I'll take a three-point win ;)

Top Bottom