Young Team excuse lasts 1 season maybe 2?

wait!what?

Reaction score
Already tired of the 'were young' excuse. C'mon Jer, the IA schemes smoked yer def game plan.

This IS a young team. They lost one game, and the torches and pitchforks are coming out.

Already tired of the 'were young' excuse. C'mon Jer, the IA schemes smoked yer def game plan.

Yes, I am tired of a team being considered young when we only have 14 Seniors on the roster and MAYBE ten of them are playing significant time. I believe 8 of them actually traveled with the team to that Iowa game. Come on man. We are very young at the positions that need age and depth, on the OL and DL in the trenches.

THIS is really the last year in a long time that we should hear much about having a "young team".

After this year, there will actually be SENIORS on the offensive line;
Should be the last year there are EIGHT or more Freshmen and Sophs playing major minutes on defense;
Should be the last year they don't START any receivers that have virtually no playing experience;

In my opinion this will be the last season for the forseeable future where they field a TRULY young team. But no doubt about it, this is a young and inexperienced team.

THIS is really the last year in a long time that we should hear much about having a "young team".

Should be the last year there are EIGHT or more Freshmen and Sophs playing major minutes on defense;
Should be the last year they don't START any receivers that have virtually no playing experience;

In my opinion this will be the last season for the forseeable future where they field a TRULY young team. But no doubt about it, this is a young and inexperienced team.

I agree, after this year we will only be a YOUNG team and not an EXTREMELY YOUNG team.

Even next year, we won't be very old. A lot of the guys who will be JRs next year, are really the same age as RS SO (Wells, Shortell, Thompson, Amafuela, Olson, M. Jones, Goodger, etc.).

That said, I agree with the general consensus of this board. The youth as an excuse idea has to end this year.

I hate it when people call things what they are.

Hey wait! what? - with the Gophers being 4-1, you should be extatic. Here's what you posted a little over a month ago:

08-30-2012, 08:01 AM
Thread: I'll know things have changed for Gopher Football in 2012 when:
by wait!what?
Replies:36Views:2,142

If the gophs finish the non con 2-2 it will be an...

If the gophs finish the non con 2-2 it will be an improvement from 2011. just sayin'.

*So you'd call 2-2 an improvement (your words) and now at 4-1 you're calling out Coach Kill. I don't get it.

Hey wait! what? - with the Gophers being 4-1, you should be extatic. Here's what you posted a little over a month ago:

by wait!what?

If the gophs finish the non con 2-2 it will be an improvement from 2011. just sayin'.

*So you'd call 2-2 an improvement (your words) and now at 4-1 you're calling out Coach Kill. I don't get it.

Good discovery, Rescooter. It is really hard to bull$hit a bull$hitter. :)

by wait!what?

but, but, but, but, but, but, his expectations went way up.

I'm not a big excuse guy, either, but when the team you take to Iowa City has exactly FOUR players that have ever set foot inside of Kinnick Stadium, you are either young or inexperienced (or both). It sucked losing, but this team is young and inexperienced. FOUR players were on this trip that were on the last trip to Iowa. Four.

On offense, the class we get the most contribution from is the sophomore class and it's not even close. 65.6% of pass attempts, 61.1% of rush attempts, 45.5% of receptions, and 48% of starts on the OL have come from sophomores.

I'll be perfectly honest with you. I totally overlooked the standing GH rule where if you guess incorrectly on the outcome you lose posting rights.

Are you proposing Kill magically has each player age 2 years overnight? Or better yet how about he goes forward in time 2 years and brings back that version of each player. This team has 8 seniors that play. They're young no matter how you slice it.

I feeling very dopdollisk in making this comment but there very like won't be SENIORS (plural) starting on the offensive line next year. We now have two junior offensive linemen (Ed Olson and Zach Mottla) and only Ed Olson is starting now. I am assuming that next year's starting center will be Brian Bobek but that is yet to be determined. It still will be a relatively young line but one with a lot of experience.

cjcarter8

Are you proposing Kill magically has each player age 2 years overnight? Or better yet how about he goes forward in time 2 years and brings back that version of each player. This team has 8 seniors that play. They're young no matter how you slice it.

+1 Haven't you noticed that GopherHoler's aren't know for their patience? Sometimes you just have to laugh at what people say here cjcarter8.

We should all settle down. People just got excited about the team and we all got brought back down to Earth pretty quickly. It's not the end of the world.

Clearly you know little to nothing about X's and O's. Iowa dominated us with a SIMPLE, HS game plan in the first half. They ran outside zone and iso away from the 3 technique DT. (They'd check opposite at the line or run a check with me in the huddle.) Then they ran a couple of bootlegs (originating from a wing-t offense which was popular here in the 80's and 90's and popularized in the 60's) hitting the TE on a drag.
Lastly, we were hit with a couple of hitches before our Safety (safety picks up blitzer's receiver when in man coverage) could cover when our corner showed blitz too early when Vandenburg held his count.

I was able to see this from the stands, and I usually try and watch a game from an enjoyment perspective and not through X and O coaching/playing eyes.

They did get 13 different kinds of dog crap kicked out of them, but they DID NOT get out schemed with X's and O's.

Clearly you know little to nothing about X's and O's. Iowa dominated us with a SIMPLE, HS game plan in the first half. They ran outside zone and iso away from the 3 technique DT. (They'd check opposite at the line or run a check with me in the huddle.) Then they ran a couple of bootlegs (originating from a wing-t offense which was popular here in the 80's and 90's and popularized in the 60's) hitting the TE on a drag.
Lastly, we were hit with a couple of hitches before our Safety (safety picks up blitzer's receiver when in man coverage) could cover when our corner showed blitz too early when Vandenburg held his count.

I was able to see this from the stands, and I usually try and watch a game from an enjoyment perspective and not through X and O coaching/playing eyes.

They did get 13 different kinds of dog crap kicked out of them, but they DID NOT get out schemed with X's and O's.

Iowa has run the bootleg pass for years. I'd like to see us run it but it requires a strong running game first.

Kill is just beating the "young, young, young" drum a bit too hard. It's mildly irritating and yes, I do agree that the Iowa coaches whupped our coaches this past week.

I'll be perfectly honest with you. I totally overlooked the standing GH rule where if you guess incorrectly on the outcome you lose posting rights.

I think the rule is when the Gophers far exceed your expectations, you may want to hold off on the whine.

Young is Indiana. There OL two deep is all SO and FR with two true FR and two true SO starting. Some of our OL have more experience than that. Maybe our OL just isn't that good. You can either block or you can't.

Young is Indiana. There OL two deep is all SO and FR with two true FR and two true SO starting. Some of our OL have more experience than that. Maybe our OL just isn't that good. You can either block or you can't.

Unfortunately, we don't play Indiana this year to find out anything.

Indiana has been moving the ball all year and putting up points. I just don't want to hear how young we are. I've heard it all before. We will see how we do next week against Northwestern, but today, I think we are the worst team in the Big Ten. Overall, I think Kill's recruiting is suspect. I hope I'm proved wrong.

When a coach say we're young when they're winning, it simply means don't get your hopes up. They're saying they're better, but it doesn't mean upper half in the B1G.

They are moving in the right direction, can't we just accept that? They can't come out and say we aren't as good as a 4-0 legit schedule, so they say they're young in hopes we understand they will stub their toes at times and look awesome at times like a building program will.

Indiana has been moving the ball all year and putting up points. I just don't want to hear how young we are. I've heard it all before. We will see how we do next week against Northwestern, but today, I think we are the worst team in the Big Ten. Overall, I think Kill's recruiting is suspect. I hope I'm proved wrong.

You are such a beam of optimism.

A young team is young if they are young. This team is young, no way around it.

Since I just read most every post you've every made, it's clear that you are really Dickman55. You must be a real joy to be around. Ick.

Top Bottom