You make the call - do you fire Frost?

Re: Dr. Tom. I believe that his larger than life in Nebraska (his political career and the much larger than life amount of respect, admiration and hero worship that he commanded with the citizens of CornHusker Nation made it almost impossible for for any Coach following him to ever claim that program for his own.

Remember, there were some kinds of things that happened under Dr. Tom’s watch in that program that were not pretty that the fan base always just ignored. It is ironic that the regents wanted blood in the shortcomings of Bo, yet never did cringe with anything that happened under the good Dr. Tom’s watch. (Not defending Bo…but Tom really could do no wrong in spite of some of the actions of players he won with during his super star run at Nebby.

He even came back to “save the dynasty” after part of the the musical chairs period of coaching changes, didn’t he?

I really think that until Nebby can run the ball and stop the run on the level other BT West teams and cross over East teams can, it will be a struggle for Nebby in the BT.

I think Frost MAY be making some progress, but will it be enough in the next year or two for Nebby to challenge in the West?

Is the Dr. Tom worship wearing off for Coach Frost and AD Trev that they had for him as his players? Is that part of the problem?

Will they be able to overcome their hero worship of Tom and be the adults that take that program beyond Tom’s program and make it their own program?
You got that right. Osborne remains revered and part of that is due to the kid gloves treatment he received while there was a fairly significant amount of misbehavior among his players. It's not dissimilar to how Ferentz is treated in Iowa. Both are great coaches and players can get in all sorts of trouble (granted, not Lawrence Phillips level of trouble), but there's no question that they've been the beneficiaries of local media bubble-wrap.

You got that right. Osborne remains revered and part of that is due to the kid gloves treatment he received while there was a fairly significant amount of misbehavior among his players. It's not dissimilar to how Ferentz is treated in Iowa. Both are great coaches and players can get in all sorts of trouble (granted, not Lawrence Phillips level of trouble), but there's no question that they've been the beneficiaries of local media bubble-wrap.
Especially true in the case of Osborne when teams could get away with way more behind the scenes crap then they can now.

Even though this year is another disaster, I wouldn't fire him yet either. This is the same coach that put together an undefeated year at UCF. I try and always remember the Frank Beamer story. He was 24-40-2 in his first 6 years at Virginia Tech. Then he turned it around, big time. And brought them to the brink of a national championship. Ended with a 238–121–2 record at the school.

We also need to remember Frost is a young coach that found immediate success at his previous job. So this is a learning experience for him as well. I think he can do just fine at Nebraska given some more rope. But I totally acknowledge this isn't a fan base that exudes patience.
Wow, I didn't know that about Beamer. That's a very patient administration there -- and man, it sure paid off. Were there any signs of life at all in those first 6 years? Frost hasn't made a bowl or really beaten a "good" team to this point.

I have two reasons to keep him: Beat Wisconsin. Beat Iowa.

Nebraska is without a dearth of talent after stocking piling 4-Star recruits.
They recruited well: 2017 #23; 2018 #23; 2019 #17; 2020 #20; 2021 #20.

What needs to improve - coaching and culture? Their six Big Ten losses are by 3 to 8 points. Their record could have easily flipped and they could have been a contender.

Firing him at the end of the season is a double-edged sword at best. I supposed the huge buyout is a sticking point. Can they fire him for a just cause with the NCAA violations?

Trev Alberts will keep him an extra year.
Sometimes when you get 4 stars that the big boys didn’t take as first options it is because they are 4 stars BUT something

mccaffery highly rated BUT a diva (for example).
Which is why recruiting rankings are overrated. Better to be 20th than 45th but really no difference between 26th and 32nd because it’s more about fit and personalities that lead to long term development. Recruiting rankings can tell you a neighborhood.
My diagnoses of Nebraska recruiting is that they are highly ranked but a bad mix of personalities. Lacking at RB and WR

Wow, I didn't know that about Beamer. That's a very patient administration there -- and man, it sure paid off. Were there any signs of life at all in those first 6 years? Frost hasn't made a bowl or really beaten a "good" team to this point.
First 10 years:

1987​
Virginia Tech
11​
2​
9​
0​
0.182​
1988​
Virginia Tech
11​
3​
8​
0​
0.273​
1989​
Virginia Tech
11​
6​
4​
1​
0.591​
1990​
Virginia Tech
11​
6​
5​
0​
0.545​
1991​
Virginia Tech
11​
5​
6​
0​
0.455​
1992​
Virginia Tech
11​
2​
8​
1​
0.227​
1993​
Virginia Tech
12​
9​
3​
0​
0.75​
22​
Independence Bowl-W
1994​
Virginia Tech
12​
8​
4​
0​
0.667​
Gator Bowl-L
1995​
Virginia Tech
12​
10​
2​
0​
0.833​
10​
Sugar Bowl-W
1996​
Virginia Tech
12​
10​
2​
0​
0.833​
13​
Orange Bowl-L

Can someone please explain to me what the infatuation with Scott Frost is on this board? We played Nebraska three weeks ago? WGAF

Because he was hired around the same time as Fleck, and people--rightly or wrongly--look at the two as being in comparison/competition. The hype was big: There's a new sheriff in town, Frost's got a track record and Fleck is a huckster. There's a perception--rightly or wrongly--that Frost likes to throw shade and talk smack also, so people like to revel in his failure. I think it's especially satisfying since there was a period when Nebraska racked up some notoriously, legendarily lopsided wins over the Gophs and people enjoy the fact that the worm seems to have turned a bit.

It's similar to why folks talk about Brohm. I never disliked Purdue until people started unfavorably comparing Fleck to Brohm. Now I take extra satisfaction in mopping the floor with them.

Also, it's a football board and they're a divisional rival, so we talk about them.

It's similar to why folks talk about Brohm. I never disliked Purdue until people started unfavorably comparing Fleck to Brohm. Now I take extra satisfaction in mopping the floor with them.
One has beaten 3 straight top 5 teams. The other has lost 2 straight home games when double-digit favorites.
We do have the edge on recruiting rankings tho 🤷‍♂️

One has beaten 3 straight top 5 teams. The other has lost 2 straight home games when double-digit favorites.
We do have the edge on recruiting rankings tho 🤷‍♂️
Brohm is 25-28 (17-21)
Fleck is 32-23 (19-22)

flecks best season 11 wins
Brohms is 6 (and counting)

flecks worst season is 5-7 or 3-4 take your pick
Brohms worst is 4-8 or 2-4 take your pick

They’re both good coaches

Brohm is 25-28 (17-21)
Fleck is 32-23 (19-22)

Fleck wins with ground pounding offense.
Brohm wins by airing the ball out

Frost wins every once in a while

I hope they keep him.

Fleck wins with ground pounding offense.
Brohm wins by airing the ball out

Frost wins every once in a while

I hope they keep him.
Not sure why people on Both sides of argument can’t recognize they’re both good coaches

And I’d argue both are at a better fit for their style and personality than if they flopped jobs

Brohm is 25-28 (17-21)
Fleck is 32-23 (19-22)

You are right. They are both good. I have come a long way over the years to appreciating PJ more. However, IMO there is a clear difference between the 2. PJ is personable, motivating, and a great recruiter. He is also meh when it comes to strategy and apparently sub-par at hiring coordinators. Don’t even get me started with clock management. Brohm is a bit of an a-hole, harder for most to like - but has proven to be superior in strategy. I mean just look at fleck vs rivals and Brohm vs top 5 teams. When you are so f’ing conservative and stubborn like fleck you lose at home to BGSU and IL in the same year as double digit (31!!!) pt favs. I’m not saying PJ is bad or has to go - but he needs to make changes or this will continue to repeat. In the end - I’d take Brohm if I had to choose.

Top Bottom