You just won't believe it

husker70

Reaction score
I was talking with a retired speech teacher from the local high school, and she was touting the gal she worked for. I ask had any of the former students gone on into broadcasting. She said yes a couple have. I went on to tell her about my experience with news broacasting, and what was the NBC dialect. It was a stacato delivery with emphasis on the nouns. I told her two broadcasters who she would recognize would be David Brinkley and Ray Christensen. And asked if they had trained any of the students in that manner. She said no, but she ask do you listen to WCCO in the Morning? I couldn't answer before she said I cannot stand that Dave Lee. He uses a conversational tone, and he slurs his words. I said, you should have heard him do play by play for the Gophers, better yet your better off never having to hear him. She said with his delivery he is not suited for play by play.

Clap........Clap.........Clap.......Clap........Clap.......Good Story

:rolleyes:

Different Strokes

I am not a fan of Dave Lee, especially as a play by play man. His style appeals to many on WCCO. That's okay. I liked Ray Christensen, but enjoy others as well. How about Verne Lundquist, Jim Nantz, and the king of of 'em all, Vin Scully? Would the retired speech teacher approve of their style which is closer to Dave Lee than Christensen or Brinkley?

I honestly couldn't stand to listen to Vin Scully call a game when I previously had MLB Extra Innings. I may be in the very small minority but his style did not suit me at all.

Verne was good 7 years ago, but he is getting worse now. He'll scale back a la keith Jackson at some point. When nance starts calling SEC football games the big ten will close the gap.

I was talking with a retired speech teacher from the local high school, and she was touting the gal she worked for. I ask had any of the former students gone on into broadcasting. She said yes a couple have. I went on to tell her about my experience with news broacasting, and what was the NBC dialect. It was a stacato delivery with emphasis on the nouns. I told her two broadcasters who she would recognize would be David Brinkley and Ray Christensen. And asked if they had trained any of the students in that manner. She said no, but she ask do you listen to WCCO in the Morning? I couldn't answer before she said I cannot stand that Dave Lee. He uses a conversational tone, and he slurs his words. I said, you should have heard him do play by play for the Gophers, better yet your better off never having to hear him. She said with his delivery he is not suited for play by play.

What a bunch of BS.

Verne was good 7 years ago, but he is getting worse now. He'll scale back a la keith Jackson at some point. When nance starts calling SEC football games the big ten will close the gap.

No, Gus Johnson will start calling SEC football games, and then the gap will increase.

Red Motlo,or Moflo on WLOL....

did Gopher Basketball during the Cowles and Kundla era. This was when the team had the likes of Dave Tucker, Ed Kalafat, Garmaker, Skoog, Jed Domeyer, etc. I was like 6 years old and would listen with my dad. The guy was the best there ever was. even better than Ray, which is pretty hard to beat.

What a bunch of BS.

I will not mention names to protect the innonnce, but that conversation occurred at the local paper where she now works, and when we were talking about her tenure at the high school she volunteered it. It is her opinion his delivery is too casual. She cannot stand him. She would have probably listened Bob DeHaven, Cedric Adams, Jegen Nash. My interest in broadcasting comes from growing up in the Chicago Market an tagging along with the son of the Number 1 News Anchor at NBC Chicago. He went on to New York, and The Today Show, before returning to Chicago to reclaim the number 1 rated News in the Chicago market at ABC Chicago. We spent evenings in the newsroom, with the booth announcer, in the control rooom and on the set. In his house the TV was turned to his 5PM broadcast, The 10 PM Report, and sometimes 12. I think I watched more television news than most, I was exposed to what made it go. There was a NBC dialect, and Brinkley was the national know broadcaster. But you have seen John Palmer, Tom Brokaw come through this training. My friend did New in Omaha, before swtiching to video production and moving to Hawaii. I have been around big time talent, and Lee is a low budget talent. The point of the story, was her opinion was unsolcited. I only witnessed it and reported it, because I too think he has an overblown bombastic phoney delivery. That is my opinion, and it you disagree please expand you thoughts beyond bull *&^!#*&^!#*&^!#*&^!#.

Most Gopher fans thought Dave Lee's work sucked. That said he is done here and is yesterday's news. Now would probably be a good time to stop beating him over the head.

I don't have an opinion on Dave Lee, I'm out of state... BUT...

For what it's worth, I have a degree from a university most people on this board think fairly highly of and work in broadcasting. I was always taught to write conversationally and for the most part, I deliver in the same manner.

I will not mention names to protect the innonnce, but that conversation occurred at the local paper where she now works, and when we were talking about her tenure at the high school she volunteered it. It is her opinion his delivery is too casual. She cannot stand him. She would have probably listened Bob DeHaven, Cedric Adams, Jegen Nash. My interest in broadcasting comes from growing up in the Chicago Market an tagging along with the son of the Number 1 News Anchor at NBC Chicago. He went on to New York, and The Today Show, before returning to Chicago to reclaim the number 1 rated News in the Chicago market at ABC Chicago. We spent evenings in the newsroom, with the booth announcer, in the control rooom and on the set. In his house the TV was turned to his 5PM broadcast, The 10 PM Report, and sometimes 12. I think I watched more television news than most, I was exposed to what made it go. There was a NBC dialect, and Brinkley was the national know broadcaster. But you have seen John Palmer, Tom Brokaw come through this training. My friend did New in Omaha, before swtiching to video production and moving to Hawaii. I have been around big time talent, and Lee is a low budget talent. The point of the story, was her opinion was unsolcited. I only witnessed it and reported it, because I too think he has an overblown bombastic phoney delivery. That is my opinion, and it you disagree please expand you thoughts beyond bull *&^!#*&^!#*&^!#*&^!#.

Here are my expanded thoughts. Speech accuracy or delivery has little outside of the obvious to do with being an on air talent. TV and radio are distinctly different when it comes to speech. Minneapolis is the 16th or 17th largest media market and as far as radio is concerned, WCCO is #4. Business is business and Dave lee, like him or not as a radio talent, makes WCCO plenty of revenue and that is the name of the game. I have no opinion about his delivery or talent in regards to radio because I rarely listen to WCCO. If you talk to those who listen to Dave Lee and those who pay(I know people who pay him and Tom Barnard) to have him endorse their products, you will find a much different opinion than yours. Dave lee is a nationally respected morning show host.

Here are my expanded thoughts. Speech accuracy or delivery has little outside of the obvious to do with being an on air talent. TV and radio are distinctly different when it comes to speech. Minneapolis is the 16th or 17th largest media market and as far as radio is concerned, WCCO is #4. Business is business and Dave lee, like him or not as a radio talent, makes WCCO plenty of revenue and that is the name of the game. I have no opinion about his delivery or talent in regards to radio because I rarely listen to WCCO. If you talk to those who listen to Dave Lee and those who pay(I know people who pay him and Tom Barnard) to have him endorse their products, you will find a much different opinion than yours. Dave lee is a nationally respected morning show host.

What a bunch of BS.

The very best play by play announcers have a talent. Its the ability to describe the action in less than five words. It was standard operating proceedure with Frank Chirkanian at CBS. As he said, I don't pay you by the word. If you look back to play by play for football, a local guy set the standard at CBS. He was Ray Scott. A minimalist. Count the words. Starr over the ball. He turns hands to Taylor. Taylor to the 40. Green Bay first down. From there to another local legend who did Laker Basketball, Gopher Football & Basketball. This clip listen to word count, pause word count http://www.pavekmuseum.org/rod_trongard.mp3
he also had the pipes, natural excitement in his voice, talent.

when you think of great calls, two come from golf. one on NBC, on CBS. 'Better than most!' and Yes Sir!

the best was Keith Jackson who combined the 5 word burst with the ability to turn a phrase. From the big ugglies, to snottslobbers, fummmbellllll, whoa nellie, among others.

the key phrase becomes a signature for a play by play broadcaster. If you liked Ernie Harwell and who didn't, he never forced it. But listening you couldn't wait for it:

Two for the price of one - Double Play

Stood there like the house by the side of the road - Player looking/taking a called third strike

Called out for excessive window shopping - same as above

Caught by a man from Kalamazoo - Harwell began this tradition with the Tigers. When a foul ball went into the stands and was caught by a fan he would announce the town they were from (just a random Michigan town at home games) to make the game more intimate.

They were all great, and Ray was loved. Dave had no play by play talent and his greatest flaw was he wasn't Ray.

The very best play by play announcers have a talent. Its the ability to describe the action in less than five words. It was standard operating proceedure with Frank Chirkanian at CBS. As he said, I don't pay you by the word. If you look back to play by play for football, a local guy set the standard at CBS. He was Ray Scott. A minimalist. Count the words. Starr over the ball. He turns hands to Taylor. Taylor to the 40. Green Bay first down. From there to another local legend who did Laker Basketball, Gopher Football & Basketball. This clip listen to word count, pause word count http://www.pavekmuseum.org/rod_trongard.mp3
he also had the pipes, natural excitement in his voice, talent.

when you think of great calls, two come from golf. one on NBC, on CBS. 'Better than most!' and Yes Sir!

the best was Keith Jackson who combined the 5 word burst with the ability to turn a phrase. From the big ugglies, to snottslobbers, fummmbellllll, whoa nellie, among others.

the key phrase becomes a signature for a play by play broadcaster. If you liked Ernie Harwell and who didn't, he never forced it. But listening you couldn't wait for it:

Two for the price of one - Double Play

Stood there like the house by the side of the road - Player looking/taking a called third strike

Called out for excessive window shopping - same as above

Caught by a man from Kalamazoo - Harwell began this tradition with the Tigers. When a foul ball went into the stands and was caught by a fan he would announce the town they were from (just a random Michigan town at home games) to make the game more intimate.

They were all great, and Ray was loved. Dave had no play by play talent and his greatest flaw was he wasn't Ray.

Agree 100% this time. How about "and we'll see you tomorrow night" Dave would agree with you too that following Ray is impossible.

I honestly couldn't stand to listen to Vin Scully call a game when I previously had MLB Extra Innings. I may be in the very small minority but his style did not suit me at all.

That's like saying Mozart is bad music...but if you're comfortable with yourself, enjoy that opinion.

Top Bottom