You HAVE to fire the OC after this game

What I feel bad about is that I'm sure Fleck and his crew will make it seem like the Players just didn't play very good, and although that is partially true, you can only do as much as the coaches put you in position to do. Like the Bowling Green game, even Tom Brady wouldn't be able to win that game because of how Sanford called it. This game also.

What about today's loss is about Culture?

The football academics is great. Haven't heard of much trouble by the student athletes under Fleck's care. Recruiting has been better. Seems more players are headed for the NFL. etc.
Losing to teams you are “supposed” to beat is culture. Having a far overrated o line is culture. Not being able to throw successfully, consistently is culture.
According to pj, it is all culture.

What I feel bad about is that I'm sure Fleck and his crew will make it seem like the Players just didn't play very good, and although that is partially true, you can only do as much as the coaches put you in position to do. Like the Bowling Green game, even Tom Brady wouldn't be able to win that game because of how Sanford called it. This game also.
Pj could have put in Kramer to give a different look and have the web run. Not a good culture to stick with something that is clearly not working.

Have any qbs not regressed under Sanford?
Every single one of them regress. No ones get better. He used to get a pass like he get here. " Oh, yeah but the team loss some NFL WRs, it is natural to see QB regress." Then he moved on to next place. Where did he stay more than 3 or 4 years to prove his ability? WKU fans will tell how putrid he was. They said they are not loaded with BTN/ESPN/FOX money, yet they had to fire him as it was that bad.

Not sure why we threw so many (low completion %) sidelines passes, down the field. It reminded me of the Wacker years.

Did we ever try a screen pass?
We have run zero middles screens, very few tunnel screens and limited wheel routies to our running backs all season. The tight end stick routes and dig routes were open all game as the Illinois free safety was playing deep all game. I know we are down on experienced running backs, maybe the Gophers just cannot execute those type of plays. We needed to move to tempo and hot routes a lot sooner than we did, with how tight the 8 man box was today. We could have clearly done some things to exploit what Illinois was doing on defense and refused to do so. This staff is awful at making in game adjustments, there is plenty of evidence over five season that if they face in game adversity they never rise to the occasion.

Sanford puts the qb in horrible situations to succeed. Sometimes you have to actually try to trick the defense.
I agree with this, the design of the WR routes, not conducive to having any hot routes or out lets to check down the ball. The play calling on offense was absolutely putrid today. The execution and communication with the QB was to say the least piss poor. The game film will show there were a lot of opportunity's and points left on the field today. Illinois was daring us to start dumping it off to the backs in the middle of the field and the Gophers refused to do so. This game was about as disappointing as one of those MAC game flops the Gophers are known for. Morgan either had no time or he couldn't decide what to do back there except bail out. He is slow footed, I sure hope our next QB are not slow footed. This guys does give us everything he has in the games, but he just didn't have anything today. Not a good game

This really smells like a disconnect with the offense and the OC. Nothing else makes sense with the inconsistency.

Nick Saban hired Sark when nobody would touch him and Lane Kiffin, who by all accounts is a massive D-bag. But they can run offenses, and have produced well in that role. I know I’m pissing in the wind, but sometimes it’s ok to employ somebody that doesn’t have the exact same philosophy as you and just go hire the best person for the job. Country club mentality of only hiring your chums will take you down in this business.

route combos are horrid, actions inspire no misdirection, we pass only in obvious situations which allows rushers to pin ears back, we snap the ball at a predictable time which allows DL to get jump on snap. So much of our offense is JV and relies on an OL that can just bulldoze teams. We're not going to be able to beat anyone who can stack the box, particularly if we only run route combos that finish with WRs over the middle. When we were successful with TJ and Bateman, we threw the ball outside. The play to Jackson pretty much the only time we threw outside was there, just overshot. I mean ffs, I could draw up 10 different route combos, which appears to be more than our offensive guru can come up with

I get as fired up as anybody when the Gophers score...but did not jump up and down for the TD today. It was too little too late and the missed PAT didn't help any.

Pretty sure that Coach Bielema was not too concerned with that TD. His team was playing better than the home boys plus the clock was the enemy for that same home team.

I myself did not sense any kind of Gopher resurgence on that drive...however nice it went...but certainly would have liked to have seen those plays like 2 quarters earlier than unfolded.

Although yet to be written, this season will have an interesting post mortem as to exactly what was in the OC's head from game to game.

Beat I-O-W-A and Wisky and things will look much better. Just hard to imagine after today.

We have run zero middles screens, very few tunnel screens and limited wheel routies to our running backs all season. The tight end stick routes and dig routes were open all game as the Illinois free safety was playing deep all game. I know we are down on experienced running backs, maybe the Gophers just cannot execute those type of plays. We needed to move to tempo and hot routes a lot sooner than we did, with how tight the 8 man box was today. We could have clearly done some things to exploit what Illinois was doing on defense and refused to do so. This staff is awful at making in game adjustments, there is plenty of evidence over five season that if they face in game adversity they never rise to the occasion.
That is because the Offensive Coordinator is not dynamic and imaginative. It may seem unfair to say, but I don't think he is a very good game film analyst and game planner. If you compare Kirk Ciarrocca's old interviews and Mike Sanford Jr's interviews, you can see how superior an OC Ciarrocca is. He game plans really well and positions the Offense effectively to win games based on the opponent's tendencies. He is legendary at special hours in the video room.

There is a reason PSU hire Ciarrocca away if you watch how he game plans in great detail. https://www.collegian.psu.edu/footb...cle_1bc0f110-2bec-11ea-b5ba-d7bc574f9cef.html

Will Ciarrocca want to return? Offer him whatever he wants. Access to private planes to go visit with his family?

Last edited:

So maybe PJ doesn't want to fire Sanford in season, but I'd settle for turning over all play calling duties to Simon. That is doable.
It is the worst option. If you're gonna fire someone, go ahead and do it. Sanford may be airhead OC but he still have pride. It just create toxic environment and put Simon and the team in awkward position.

That is because the Offensive Coordinator is not dynamic and imaginative. If you compare Kirk Ciarrocca's old interviews and Mike Sanford Jr's interviews, you can see how superior an OC Ciarrocca is. He is legendary at special hours in the video room.

Will Ciarrocca want to return? Offer him whatever he wants. Access to private planes to go visit with his family?
Gopher fans know what competent offenses look like, it's the defense that has struggled for the majority of the last 30 years. What we are seeing is a defense that's finally arrive but now we have an abysmal offense. I am good if Ciarrocca wants to return.

It is the worst option. If you're gonna fire someone, go ahead and do it. Sanford may be airhead OC but he still have pride. It just create toxic environment and put Simon and the team in awkward position.
Fair enough. That works for me. But if you don't, give the plays to Simon. That's all that matters to me. Sanford can man up and contribute if it comes to that. He's getting paid big money.

Gopher fans know what competent offenses look like, it's the defense that has struggled for the majority of the last 30 years. What we are seeing is a defense that's finally arrive but now we have an abysmal offense. I am good if Ciarrocca wants to return.
I’m fine if my mom wants to call the play using the tecmo bowl plays … for the original Nintendo. She only would have been six points worse than Sanford today.

His press conference went something along the lines of "we didn't finish" (or ever really start, IMO) a few times, followed with some "we didn't execute", but mostly praised Illinois and their staff for playing well. He conceded that Tanner was "inconsistent" and that it would have been a different game with better kicking. But for the most part, he stuck to form and didn't criticize players.

Of course, none of the media asked any tough coach-related questions about playcalling, preparation, in-game adjustments, etc.

Top Bottom