You do realize if Iowa beats us, they will win the west

kg21

Reaction score
It's unfathomable, but this is the case.

They will beat Nebraska easily and would win this pathetic division.

I just have to laugh.

No, ILL would win the West if Iowa beats us because ILL beat Iowa so they would have the head-to-head

Assuming Michigan beats ILL then ILL will also be with 4 loss and ILL beats NW

I'd rather give Purdue the west...
If Iowa beats us and Nebraska, they will both have 6-3 records and be the only two who have 6-3 records. I'm going with the almost certain Illinois loss at Michigan.

Iowa beat Purdue, so they win the west.

No, ILL would win the West if Iowa beats us because ILL beat Iowa so they would have the head-to-head

Michigan will destroy Illinois, giving them 4 losses. I'm not even giving that a second thought. Iowa, if they beat us and Nebraska, would have 3 losses. The only team that could end with 3 losses is Purdue, and Iowa beat them. Iowa then wins the west.

Last edited:

The OP begga this important question:

Are the heating coils still working? 🙂

If Iowa finishes with the best record - or finishes in a tie and wins the tie-breaker, then under the rules, they deserve to win the West.

Gophers have no one to blame except themselves. they lost the right to control their own destiny when they lost to Purdue.

Iowa only has three conference losses! So Iowa wins out, IL loses to MI, IA wins the West in this hypothetical!

You gotta admit it is a disgusting thought. At one point we were all laughing at Iowa because they were so impotent. Now if they beat us, they are going to win the West. WTF?
Can a team get too high? The Gophers should not lack motivation. We can not let them win. Simply can not! Dang!

Bums me out that once again we controlled our destiny to win the West, and we crapped the bed. The West will be a thing of the past shortly, and winning the BIG outright will be pretty much impossible. Fingers crossed that we can beat Iowa and Wisconsin to end our season (when was the last time that happened?)

You gotta admit it is a disgusting thought. At one point we were all laughing at Iowa because they were so impotent. Now if they beat us, they are going to win the West. WTF?
Can a team get too high? The Gophers should not lack motivation. We can not let them win. Simply can not! Dang!
Iowa offense is not good. As in, really, really bad. Combine that with a stretch where they played Iowa State, Illinois, Ohio State and Michigan, all with top 12 defenses. Bad offense playing good defenses = historicially bad offensive numbers.

They did play a bit better against Northwestern (who is terrible) and then Purdue, just pounded them 24-3. Iowa has got a couple of guys back on offense. Still a very bad offense and Hawks will still have trouble doing much of anything against Minnesota's defense.

First team to 17 points on Saturday wins.

As far as the West, Illinois had it wrapped up but shat the bed in consecutive home games against MSU and Purdue. If they don't win the West, have no one but themselves to blame.

That sums up my original post in a nutshell. We laugh at their prehistoric offense, etc.

My post wasn't so much a rip on Iowa as it is the sad state of affairs in the west.

If I were PSU or Michigan State, Indiana, etc..........I'd be so pissed at being in the east.

If Iowa finishes with the best record - or finishes in a tie and wins the tie-breaker, then under the rules, they deserve to win the West.

Gophers have no one to blame except themselves. they lost the right to control their own destiny when they lost to Purdue.
Iowa also played OSU and Michigan.

Mo missing Purdue is the difference in this weekends game being the division championship game likely. Had we beat Purdue and Iowa we could have lost to Wisconsin, assuming Illinois loses to Michigan.

Iowa offense is not good. As in, really, really bad. Combine that with a stretch where they played Iowa State, Illinois, Ohio State and Michigan, all with top 12 defenses. Bad offense playing good defenses = historicially bad offensive numbers.

They did play a bit better against Northwestern (who is terrible) and then Purdue, just pounded them 24-3. Iowa has got a couple of guys back on offense. Still a very bad offense and Hawks will still have trouble doing much of anything against Minnesota's defense.

First team to 17 points on Saturday wins.

As far as the West, Illinois had it wrapped up but shat the bed in consecutive home games against MSU and Purdue. If they don't win the West, have no one but themselves to blame.
Well said. The key to beating Iowa is to force their offense to have to beat you. When their defense and/or special teams sets the offense up with short fields they are dangerous. When the offense has to drive the ball and run a lot of plays they are pathetic.

The team that gets an early lead will have a huge advantage in this one.

Correct.

Because we needed Iowa to beat Purdue, for the Gophers to have a chance at taking the division ourselves. Our request was answered.

Now it is squarely on our shoulders. This is probably the best chance we will have to beat Iowa in some time. And probably the last chance to (try to) win the West.

Their offense can't score on a long field.

Make less mistakes than they do.

We're at home

Win the G-D game!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Correct.

Because we needed Iowa to beat Purdue, for the Gophers to have a chance at taking the division ourselves. Our request was answered.

Now it is squarely on our shoulders. This is probably the best chance we will have to beat Iowa in some time. And probably the last chance to (try to) win the West.

Their offense can't score on a long field.

Make less mistakes than they do.

We're at home

Win the G-D game!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
Odd to say this, but one of the keys for the Gopher OFFENSE/Special Teams is to keep the Iowa Defense/Spec Teams from scoring.

Zero sarcasm.

Top Bottom