You be the judge on Winfield's two point conversion break up

All I know is that it cost me my fantasy football game. I was hoping NYG would convert that so the TB kicker would have a chance for one more FG. Was having a nice rally on 4 FG.

I also think it was PI. Close, but iffy to pick that flag up.

I think it was a good no-call. I don't think *.002 seconds before the ball arrives is PI.

*.3 seconds? sure. but not whatever that was.

The more I look at it the less it looks like PI but if a flag is tossed I cannot pick it up (unless it hurts the Cowboys).

The guy who tossed the flag had no angle and couldn't see that Winfield hit the ball while simultaneously hitting the receiver...it was a good no call.

I think it was fine as a no call, but to call it and then pick it up looks shady.

Especially when Tom Brady is the QB on the other team....just adds to the shadiness.

I think the fact that the ball hit his arm is what saved Winfield and led to the reversal. I actually think the refs did the right thing in picking it up. Yes he got there a split second early but he made a play on the ball.

The best part about that play though is where Winfield had to come from in order to make it. He was at the LOS essentially and had to get out from behind a bunch of players on a dead run just to get to that spot on time. Assuming he was where he was supposed to be at the snap that was one hell of a read on his part because if he doesn't get there the receiver walks in untouched.

If the ball is thrown higher or lower it is Pass Interference. If it does not hit the arm as he hits the receiver it would be PI. Play made was part great athleticism and part luck.

If AWJr had turned to catch the ball it would be Fresno St. 3.0. I watched last night and he ran across with the guy in motion and he knew they would try to throw to him but the Giants learned the hard way to avoid AWJr. He was trying to get over there and break it up and he did but it would have been great had he caught it and ran for a bit and hit the turf ala Fresno St. last year.

If AWJr had turned to catch the ball it would be Fresno St. 3.0. I watched last night and he ran across with the guy in motion and he knew they would try to throw to him but the Giants learned the hard way to avoid AWJr. He was trying to get over there and break it up and he did but it would have been great had he caught it and ran for a bit and hit the turf ala Fresno St. last year.

The play design was actually great, Jones just waited too long to make the throw. He gets that ball out quicker and I don't think AWJR would have had time to get there and he was the only TB player with a chance to make that play.

It's a poor throw. The receiver stopping is the only reason for any contact at all.
I don't think it should have been flagged in the first place.
Similar call as the Anthony Harris pick up in the MN-GB game.
Has nothing to do with who is on the team, has everything to do with it being a good football play bu AW jr and a crappy throw by D Jones.

This and a couple of other plays Winfield made last night made me realize yet again how much of a difference he made last year. Defense would still be poor this year, but with a player like that we would have at least 1 victory and possibly even 2 this year.

It's an odd play because it's a poorly thrown ball.
Winfield is in the area of where the ball is coming first and the receiver has to stop and try to come back to the ball.

I think in a case like this, whoever is first in spot of where the ball is should have ownership to that spot.
If a WR has to change direction to get back into a play, you can't blame the defender for beating him into that space and then having contact occur because the direction of the play changed.

If you call PI on this, you'll have a lot more OC's draw up plays for "badly thrown" balls where the WR can help instigate contact to get a call.

Similar to when Randy Moss was a Viking. He'd break down the field, CB couldn't keep up. Pass was under-thrown. He'd stop. CB run into him.

He'd still catch it though, but it was an easy way to get a PI call.

It's an odd play because it's a poorly thrown ball.
Winfield is in the area of where the ball is coming first and the receiver has to stop and try to come back to the ball.

I think in a case like this, whoever is first in spot of where the ball is should have ownership to that spot.
If a WR has to change direction to get back into a play, you can't blame the defender for beating him into that space and then having contact occur because the direction of the play changed.

If you call PI on this, you'll have a lot more OC's draw up plays for "badly thrown" balls where the WR can help instigate contact to get a call.

Similar to when Randy Moss was a Viking. He'd break down the field, CB couldn't keep up. Pass was under-thrown. He'd stop. CB run into him.

He'd still catch it though, but it was an easy way to get a PI call.
This is still called all the time on deep balls. That's the hard part of this call on a poorly thrown ball that led to the contact, but it's still called in an array of other situations. still fantastic by AWJr to even get there to make an impact

This and a couple of other plays Winfield made last night made me realize yet again how much of a difference he made last year. Defense would still be poor this year, but with a player like that we would have at least 1 victory and possibly even 2 this year.

Winfield might have been enough to tip the balance against Maryland. Doubt he alone would have been enough to win the Michigan game.

He is a heck of a player and is getting a lot of pub in the NFL for how he has played this year. Seems like he will have a great shot at winning Defensive rookie of the year.

Looks like PI to me. He's interfering with the receivers arms/hands before the ball hits Winfield in the arm. The throw being a little off target doesn't change the flag. It was still a catchable ball.

But no complaints here. Another pass break up for Antoine. Keep it up, ROY.

Last edited:

Not PI. He clearly looks back for the ball as he closes on the WR. His head turns back away from the ball as the ball hits him and he runs into the WR. Great play by Winfield to read the play, close the gap and turn his head to the ball just as he gets to the WR. He is clear to make contact as he looks back for the ball. You can see it better in the end zone camera shot.

Screen Shot 2020-11-03 at 11.10.24 AM.jpg
He looks back for the ball:
Screen Shot 2020-11-03 at 11.10.55 AM.jpg
And make contact just before the ball:
Screen Shot 2020-11-03 at 11.11.17 AM.jpg

I don't think it was PI. You don't award the opposing team for a poorly played ball. Since Winfield made contact with the ball....clearly he was in good position. PI to me is when the defender impedes the receivers ability to catch the ball (pulling him or pushing him). Winfield did neither of those things. The receiver turned around and came back into Winfield.

What I like about this is Winfield already has a great reputation and as such is getting the calls.

The Giants have always been my favourite professional team ... but Winfield is my favourite player in the NFL. I think the PI call was 50 50 but the real head- scratcher for me was the helmet to helmet call against the giants earlier when Brate clearly initiated the contact. That one was shady without a doubt.

Having never played that position, I'm probably the last guy who should say something. With the receiver's eyes looking at the quarterback, I'm surprised Winfield didn't look at the quarterback earlier.

He looked a bit early and PI would have been valid there but I like it when they let plays like this stand. PI should be for more blatant things where the receiver doesn't have a good chance to catch the ball. He broke up the pass and got there a bit early, not because he got there a bit early.

Who really cares? He isn’t playing for the Gophers. Go to the Vikings board if you want to talk about one of their players.

Top Bottom