Yikes. Rodents 17-pt favorites tonight?

Ogee Ogilthorpe

Over Macho Grande?
Reaction score
The oddsmakers sure seem to like our beloved Gophers. First, they were favored over Wisconsin the other night, and now a whopping 17-pt spread against IU?

I actually like the Gophers to roll but not enough to bet on a spread like that. Hell, IU might even be the smart money in this one.

The oddsmakers sure seem to like our beloved Gophers. First, they were favored over Wisconsin the other night, and now a whopping 17-pt spread against IU?

I actually like the Gophers to roll but not enough to bet on a spread like that. Hell, IU might even be the smart money in this one.

That's a lot.

They're living up to it so far. I wonder if Mikie S was excited after that alley oop to Rodney?

oh yeah... the dunk thing

Haha sorry for bringing it back up, I thought it was pretty exciting though. I love the way the team has been playing the last game and a half. It certainly looks like they're motivated to stay alive for the NCAA tournament. Here's to hoping they keep it up and finish strong.

Maybe it's time we stop questioning Vegas.

It's not the odds makers, it's the bettors. Sure, they establish the initial line, but it is the bettors that "make" the line. The "house" is happy when 50% of the money is bet on each team, all they do is handle the money and net 5% of the gross (assuming it plays out 50-50). The line moves to entice bets on one team or the other to get the total bet to the 50-50.

Vegas wants equal play. If they put the line too low or high, they get burned by uneven betting. Thus, they do set the line. Betters remove the final variance but do not set the line. Unless Vegas opened every line at even, then better would set the line. That's not the case.

Now Vegas will take advantage of the rubes following national teams such as the cowboys by setting it a little high (or low) as fans of those teams bet regardless of the line.

Exactly. The line very rarely moves more than a point or 2 so it's amazing how good they typically are. I mean, the Gophs were favored against Becky the other night.

Vegas did not build that city and the megabuildings by being stupid. I am willing to think that they raked in on most anything bet on the Gopher/Hoosier game.

I thought that spread was crazy too and I bet against us on pick per day - I loved losing today and being wrong!

I thought that spread was crazy too and I bet against us on pick per day - I loved losing today and being wrong!

GL, that is exactly why I stated what I did regarding Vegas and the spread, and Vegas making lots on this game.

I imagine that Pomeroy's projection system is largely the same as Vegas', except he doesn't tweak his to account for injuries and such.

I was saying before Wisconsin AND before Indiana that I'd take Wisconsin and the points and Indiana and the points...Happy to be proven wrong!

Vegas knows what a huge homecourt advantage Williams Arena is - we've been favored in every home game this season.

I would expect that streak to end, though, on Wednesday. I'd imagine Purdue would be a 3 or 4 point favorite

KenPom has Purdue as a 1-point favorite, if that means anything. I would expect the Vegas line to be more like 2 or 3 points for Purdue.

I laid off the -16.5 line and took the Under 137...........

Top Bottom