Yikes.....Georgia's Jalen Carter in big time trouble.

So? He doesn't have to prove he wasn't driving, the state has to prove he was. Video shot outside, in the dark, most likely not straight on, it'd be next to impossible to figure out who was behind the wheel.
I get that. If his defense is that he doesn't know who's driving his own vehicle, could he still be charged with something? I don't know. I just can't imagine a defense of "yeah it was my car but I wasn't driving it and I don't know who was" would work very well.

I'm not a legal expert by any means so maybe I'm way off here, I don't know.

I remember when this happened. Is it true she was driving.
According to the article

It was the first time I had seen her as the driver in everything I had read too

It was interesting because everything I had seen cast her as this tragic victim…and then when it really boils down to it she is probably the least of a victim. She is an employee and a 24 year old with all these college kids and she was one of the people driving a vehicle

Since the Bears have the 1st pick this has been quite the topic here in Chicago. They are saying this likely will change lots of plans the Bears had. Carter can't get around the charge of lying to the police and all of this shows a bad character so he likely will slip down the draft due to that. Makes it harder for the Bears to trade down from 1 as well.

I remember when this happened. Is it true she was driving.
According to the article

It was the first time I had seen her as the driver in everything I had read too

She was identified as the driver in the initial police reports and that was disclosed within a couple of days of the accident.

I get that. If his defense is that he doesn't know who's driving his own vehicle, could he still be charged with something? I don't know. I just can't imagine a defense of "yeah it was my car but I wasn't driving it and I don't know who was" would work very well.

I'm not a legal expert by any means so maybe I'm way off here, I don't know.
Regarding the bolded, that wouldn't technically be the defense. The defense would be to stay silent and not say the bolded quote above. Surely the cops will know that you know more, but that doesn't mean anything. Carter doesn't have to prove innocence.

Yikes! The ripple effect of one bad decision.

There could be a whole essay on good/ positive team culture and the importance of making good decisions. Whether we think "Row the boat" is corny or not, situations like this prove that it matters.

If the allegations of driving in oncoming lanes with oncoming cars present, racing, speeding are true (I don’t know) seems like a series of really bad decisions even if not drinking and driving. I have a low tolerance for reckless drivers causing damage to innocents so I’d say as a menace to society lock them up for a decent amount of time. This incident, if true as alleged, shows way more than a momentary lapse of judgement. Something fundamentally broken.

Exactly.....I stopped reading when Anthony Richardson was the first pick. LOL
Mock drafts are a lot like bowl projections, just throwing darts at a board in most cases hoping to be right.

That said, I am sure he will slide down most of the fictional and actual draft boards.

Regarding the bolded, that wouldn't technically be the defense. The defense would be to stay silent and not say the bolded quote above. Surely the cops will know that you know more, but that doesn't mean anything. Carter doesn't have to prove innocence.
2 people are dead in what it turns out may have been a street racing incident that Carter was potentially involved in and then he left the scene or the accident.

I guess if you are willing to overlook the moral implications of just denying everything in the hopes of not facing any consequences for your actions it is easy to excuse his behavior. But there is a definite character issue here that is going to raise red flags for teams regardless of how the legal part plays out.

The Miller kid from Alabama Basketball is going to face similar issues for his role in the shooting that took place, even if legally he doesn't get into any trouble.

2 people are dead in what it turns out may have been a street racing incident that Carter was potentially involved in and then he left the scene or the accident.

I guess if you are willing to overlook the moral implications of just denying everything in the hopes of not facing any consequences for your actions it is easy to excuse his behavior. But there is a definite character issue here that is going to raise red flags for teams regardless of how the legal part plays out.

The Miller kid from Alabama Basketball is going to face similar issues for his role in the shooting that took place, even if legally he doesn't get into any trouble.
I wasn't trying to touch that, in the post you quoted me on. I was trying to point out that had he not said anything to police, it'd be very hard to charge him with anything.

Not trying to excuse his behavior either, was just strictly talking from a legal perspective.

Or some people have morals and integrity and want to do the right thing, even when they’re in the wrong so maybe that’s why he came clean
Have you ignored literally every fact in this story? Morals and integrity? What did him in was he told conflicting accounts of what happened and he fled the friggin scene.

Might want to update your vocab.

If the allegations of driving in oncoming lanes with oncoming cars present, racing, speeding are true (I don’t know) seems like a series of really bad decisions even if not drinking and driving. I have a low tolerance for reckless drivers causing damage to innocents so I’d say as a menace to society lock them up for a decent amount of time. This incident, if true as alleged, shows way more than a momentary lapse of judgement. Something fundamentally broken.
For starters, youth and peer pressure and a thinking they are invincible. Not to mention being treated as a king because of "star" status.

I am not going to speculate what it takes to get the proper wake up call. Many of us have been displaying poor driving skills/ habits. So many drivers just merge without looking left or right. Maybe it's just me, but it seems to be worse the last 3-5 years.

She was identified as the driver in the initial police reports and that was disclosed within a couple of days of the accident.
I guess I never read about it except the day after and when this thread started

For starters, youth and peer pressure and a thinking they are invincible. Not to mention being treated as a king because of "star" status.

I am not going to speculate what it takes to get the proper wake up call. Many of us have been displaying poor driving skills/ habits. So many drivers just merge without looking left or right. Maybe it's just me, but it seems to be worse the last 3-5 years.

You’re not wrong. AFAIK accidents, trauma, deaths are up, maybe way up since 2020. Stress, increased drinking? I don’t know.

Many people should not be driving at all, ever again. Or, restricted to mopeds, motorcycles where they are less likely to take out others.

He and other players on that team have a history of "street racing" and speeding tickets that were paid for by the football team's fixer.
This is going to end up like the case of Miller in AL.
No charges, no suspensions by the school and the SEC winning at any cost continues.

I think his BIG mistake was admitting he was next to the car. Initially he said he was a mile away. Had he stuck to that, wouldn't it be an awful lot of work for prosecutors to prove otherwise, and would they do it over a misdemeanor charge?

I read the cops figured other people were involved so they looked at some business' surveillance tape. It'd be awful tough to discern who's face it is behind the wheel at that time of night.

Should've kept his mouth shut.

We all carry tracking devices in our pockets nowadays. The car itself may have had GPS. The claim of being a mile away, along with surveillance, would have easily disproven.

You’re not wrong. AFAIK accidents, trauma, deaths are up, maybe way up since 2020. Stress, increased drinking? I don’t know.

Many people should not be driving at all, ever again. Or, restricted to mopeds, motorcycles where they are less likely to take out others.
Ha! I feel your pain. Some person tried to pass me on a single lane cloverleaf this morning. I am assuming the person was sober. I think we for get that slowing down a bit is a much faster commute than dealing with an accident.

End of rant.

We all carry tracking devices in our pockets nowadays. The car itself may have had GPS. The claim of being a mile away, along with surveillance, would have easily disproven.
Yeah, if you're in trouble, you keep your mouth shut.

Lying does not help.

Even telling the truth might not help.

Zip it is the only answer.

Ha! I feel your pain. Some person tried to pass me on a single lane cloverleaf this morning. I am assuming the person was sober. I think we for get that slowing down a bit is a much faster commute than dealing with an accident.

End of rant.

It’s weird, if someone were walking around a neighborhood firing a gun into random homes that person might be charged with a variety of crimes up to felony level. If a person recklessly drives a 2-3 ton missile down a city street or highway way, way out of control on the thin edge of their tires, brakes, and center of gravity and at risk of taking out other drivers or pedestrians they face lower charges, maybe just a ticket.

No kidding, Stroud being the 4th QB off the board? Packers trade up from #15 to #7 to draft a safety? When their WRs were bad and they don't have a true #1?
The mock didn't have the Packers trading up to move from 15 to 7, that was a projected trade of Rodgers to the Raiders for that pick. He had them retaining 15 and picking a TE. Still, it was an exercise in terrible thinking.

Carter is the most recent of 9 Georgia players arrested in the pas 13 months.

9 in just over a year is insane. Pretty clear they were willing to sell their soul in terms of character to win championships......

Seems like a lot (most? all??) of these are driving related.

You give all these kids free cars. The AD is renting them in some cases. Some dealership signs an agreement to be "the official" dealership of Georgia football, oh and here's 200 free cars this year at zero cost, have fun!

What do they expect?

"Oh you want a Charger? Or a Trackhawk? Here you go! Have fun! OH! Just don't speed though! *wink wink*"

I don't know if it just started in the pandemic, or if it was before that. But street racing and/or street exhibition driving (doing crazy donuts in intersections while hundreds of people hoot and holler), is fully ingrained in Black American culture.

Suped up Chargers, Hellcats, Trackhawks, and Durangos. Those are the ones, for some reason.

"Easily"? No. First, like you said, you don't know if the car had GPS on. Secondly, you don't know if his cell phone had location tracking on. If it didn't, then all the cell phone could tell was what tower he was closest to. So unless there was one tower next to the crash and another a mile away where he said he was, the cell phone might not be useful either.

Lastly, even IF they had GPS on and cell phone tracking was turned on on his phone, that data still BELONGS to Mr. Carter, doesn't it? He would have had ample time to "lose" his cell phone, long before police got a warrant for it.

So no, it would not have easily been proven.

Top Bottom