Years since best recruit

Thanks for sharing. The B1G is represented in each column. Interesting to see so many highly rated recruits who did nothing or seriously performed below their ranking.

Will Evans get ranked again this year? Do they re-rank a class each year? Twice a year?

Good stuff. Plenty of evidence that numbers don’t mean everything but you would rather have higher rated recruits than lower. A nice longitudinal study a decade from now would be interesting. It would be interesting to see a comparison of team success to higher rated recruits. Clearly ours was a disaster for the team.

Interesting to remember, or learn where some of the big names coming out of high school, or now playing in the pro's came from. For example, I'd forgotten the Klay Thompson of the Warriors had actually gone to school at Washington State.

Also, how can you not root for a guy named Tiny Gallon? Oklahoma 2009 :)

Last edited:

reminder that Kris Humphries initially committed to Duke, then changed his mind and went to MN.

So, who would be the highest-rated recruit to commit to MN first without going through another school?

Another example of ratings and how meaningless they can be.
KY is famous or infamous for recruiting highly ranked players who stay for only one or at the most two years.
When was the last time that they won the NCAA?

Another example of ratings and how meaningless they can be.
KY is famous or infamous for recruiting highly ranked players who stay for only one or at the most two years.
When was the last time that they won the NCAA?
I don't necessarily think the rankings are that far off but it is pretty tough to win when it is the first year of college basketball for most of your players. You really need a mixture of one and done's and veterans to be successful. Calipari has gone with the model of one and done's for years so that is the route he has chosen.

I’m surprised ND hasn’t had a recruit rated higher than 21.

Fun to see some of the non traditional schools get some big fish recently.

I don't necessarily think the rankings are that far off but it is pretty tough to win when it is the first year of college basketball for most of your players. You really need a mixture of one and done's and veterans to be successful. Calipari has gone with the model of one and done's for years so that is the route he has chosen.

Kentucky's teams have been trending older lately, especially with the transfer portal. They've had that mix of upperclassmen and freshman, and have it again this year.

reminder that Kris Humphries initially committed to Duke, then changed his mind and went to MN.

So, who would be the highest-rated recruit to commit to MN first without going through another school?
Why does that matter? There are kinds of players on that list who wouldn't be on there if it was judged that way. Kids change their mind all the time.

And that I’ve never heard of him.
He played only one year at Illinois, then declared for the draft, didn’t get drafted, and did some jail time afterward. Disappointing career.

I was surprised that none of Meyers Leonard, Leron Black, Ayo Dosunmu, Kofi Cockburn, or Skyy Clark are ranked ahead of him.

Also surprised that Kentucky hasn’t gotten a #1 recruit in a decade.

Why does that matter? There are kinds of players on that list who wouldn't be on there if it was judged that way. Kids change their mind all the time.
True, but it rarely happens that the mind is changed because the player and his dad tell Coach K to run the offense through him.

Keep in mind these rankings only go back to the beginning of the internet era. Example is Michigan's highest ranked recruit listed as Caleb Houstan (11). Two perhaps three of Michigan's Fab Five class were ranked higher with Chris Webber being the top recruit that year.

Top Bottom