Y'all think PJ regrets not handing over the OC/play calling reigns to Matt Simon?

Check the recruiting statistics. Fire those that talk a good story, but don’t follow through. Talk is nice, but action wins the prize.

It's still a bad take. Look at what happened to Tanner's performance between last year and this year. His completion percentage and QBR both went right back to where they were in 2019. KC can't do anything about the receiver room or offensive line and he can't fix Crab's knee.

KC is calling the best offense he can given the complete lack of receiving talent on the roster.

The Gophers put up 400 yards in offense on the best defense in the country last week. They averaged 6 ypc against a team that held OSU to 2. For comparison, they averaged less than 6 yards per pass. It would have been insane to stop running the ball. The offensive coordinator wasn't the problem. Turnovers and special teams were.

And before y'all jump down my throat with "yards aren't points". You're right. But they are predictive of future points, which is why y'all shouldn't be panicked over that game.

Moreover, y'all act like 2019 was a mirage while completely ignoring what PJ did to win this job. He hasn't hit his ceiling at Minnesota yet. I don't know that he hits it next year either, but this dude can coach and I don't understand how y'all are still questioning that.

Bad coaches don't win 12 games at WMU and 11 games at Minnesota.
We have to remember that the roster for this season was was partially built for the previous OC's offense and the players that were recruited with that in mind. The current staff may have realized that they just can't do what was done in 2019 because that is a big ask for a team that was basically built for the old OC's offense. I think we will see the playbook open a little more in the future.

As constituted, I don't trust it much either. Clearly, running is their strength this year. Healthy Autman-Bell and Morgan, and I am sure it would still be run heavy but a little more balanced.

If I had one critique of the game plan on Saturday, it would have been to play with more tempo in the 2nd and 3rd Quarters with momentum and a NW wind. Not necessarily a higher ratio of passes, just not drain the play clock every play. Could have had a little more time to finish the drive off at the end of the half, and/or gotten another possession in the 3rd Q.
I was thinking the same thing during the game.

It's really starting to look like Kirk Ciarrocca was riding the wave left by a veteran OL, Bateman, TJ, Rodney Smith & company during the 2019 season. Especially in the passing game - he had two big outside WR's that could give you YAC's and take it to the house on any play. Made his RPO slant game seem explosive. I'm not throwing all the blame at KC's feet, and I know we have a FR QB, but it's a broader trend that's tough to ignore no matter who's behind center.
I am not sure Simon the answer, frankly the WR development, post Bateman and Johnson has been pretty piss poor. I am not saying fire Simon, but even for that Bowl Game it was KC plan and there were other guys like Patterson who were here as well. Simon's room needed to step it up this year and it just didn't happen. Injury to CrAB was part of it, but Wright went backwards and will probably be a Casualty when we go Portal hunting. Jackson has shown some promise, I think MBS just is what he is, an inconsistent 4th WR type. Not sure what to make of Brokington yet.

Through 3 Non-Conference games we threw the ball 22 times a game.
Through 8 Conference games it's 21 per game.

Once could argue that we should have thrown the ball more in non-conference to be better at passing. However, we also had a completely new offensive line that needed to gel. OL has gotten better as the year has gone on.

Add in the loss of CRAB and I don't think it's any surprise that we don't throw more. Team has to hit the Transfer portal hard, and Evans and Hoskins need to be involved in the offense next year. Need to find ways to get dense to cover sideline to sideline.

If CRAB is healthy that will be a huge boost.

I am not sure Simon the answer, frankly the WR development, post Bateman and Johnson has been pretty piss poor. I am not saying fire Simon, but even for that Bowl Game it was KC plan and there were other guys like Patterson who were here as well. Simon's room needed to step it up this year and it just didn't happen. Injury to CrAB was part of it, but Wright went backwards and will probably be a Casualty when we go Portal hunting. Jackson has shown some promise, I think MBS just is what he is, an inconsistent 4th WR type. Not sure what to make of Brokington yet.
Yeah. The real issue might not be recruiting or development. The real issue might be scouting. It seems like we have recruited a bunch of wideouts who all have the frame and specs to be solid #3/4 slot type guys in 3/4 WR sets. We run a lot of 1/2 wideout sets and don’t have a guy who can beat a corner with size or speed on the outside.

also a reason why I don’t really like how little we run 3/4 WR sets.
When we only have 1/2 on the field we are a sure loss. 3/4 we can actually have a chance to find a decent matchup

even for that Bowl Game it was KC plan and there were other guys like Patterson who were here as well.
Simon was passing-game coordinator and Callahan was running-game coordinator.

I, nor anyone who posts on this board, really has any idea "whose" plan it was. Who was responsible for what. And that is fine.

For all we know (unless you have a link with a quote disproving it, could be! lol I don't remember), Simon threw away the plan and made up a new plan.

Yeah. The real issue might not be recruiting or development. The real issue might be scouting. It seems like we have recruited a bunch of wideouts who all have the frame and specs to be solid #3/4 slot type guys in 3/4 WR sets. We run a lot of 1/2 wideout sets and don’t have a guy who can beat a corner with size or speed on the outside.

also a reason why I don’t really like how little we run 3/4 WR sets.
When we only have 1/2 on the field we are a sure loss. 3/4 we can actually have a chance to find a decent matchup
You'd think BSF would be a matchup nightmare

Simon was passing-game coordinator and Callahan was running-game coordinator.

I, nor anyone who posts on this board, really has any idea "whose" plan it was. Who was responsible for what. And that is fine.

For all we know (unless you have a link with a quote disproving it, could be! lol I don't remember), Simon threw away the plan and made up a new plan.
KC was still on the staff until a couple days before the game. Game plan's and scripts aren't done the day before the game at this level. Kudos to Simon for calling a good game that play, but they had four weeks to put that plan together.

KC was still on the staff until a couple days before the game. Game plan's and scripts aren't done the day before the game at this level. Kudos to Simon for calling a good game that play, but they had four weeks to put that plan together.
Thanks for correcting me. Agree then no chance he (Simon) threw the plan away and started over.

Key word in your last sentence is "they".

You'd think BSF would be a matchup nightmare
KC should look how Iowa uses LaPorta. From my LR chair it looked as if he lined up wide at times. He's 6/4/250. BSF is 6/7/270 with decent speed. Line him up wide and see what happens!! Give something new for Wisky to defend.

Of course BSF's main duty is to block and is a part of our running attack success. Doubt Fleck would give that up although Kallerup has done well blocking.

KC should look how Iowa uses LaPorta. From my LR chair it looked as if he lined up wide at times. He's 6/4/250. BSF is 6/7/270 with decent speed. Line him up wide and see what happens!! Give something new for Wisky to defend.

Of course BSF's main duty is to block and is a part of our running attack success. Doubt Fleck would give that up although Kallerup has done well blocking.
BSF has improved a lot as a blocker from last year to this year.
If he can show consistency in catching (tough) balls that’s what could take is draft stock way up the charts.

He should be a matchup nightmare but I can’t remember very many contested catches. He catches the east ones and an occasional tough one. If he can show he can catch all the tough ones he is a round 1-3 guy. Right now I think he is late round guy and drafted more off his frame than his film.

BSF has improved a lot as a blocker from last year to this year.
If he can show consistency in catching (tough) balls that’s what could take is draft stock way up the charts.

He should be a matchup nightmare but I can’t remember very many contested catches. He catches the east ones and an occasional tough one. If he can show he can catch all the tough ones he is a round 1-3 guy. Right now I think he is late round guy and drafted more off his frame than his film.
I think of a matchup nightmare with him to mean there's very few contested balls because of his size.

I think of a matchup nightmare with him to mean there's very few contested balls because of his size.
He has shown he doesn’t automatically catch it when there are guys near his frame

Through 3 Non-Conference games we threw the ball 22 times a game.
Through 8 Conference games it's 21 per game.

Once could argue that we should have thrown the ball more in non-conference to be better at passing. However, we also had a completely new offensive line that needed to gel. OL has gotten better as the year has gone on.

Add in the loss of CRAB and I don't think it's any surprise that we don't throw more. Team has to hit the Transfer portal hard, and Evans and Hoskins need to be involved in the offense next year. Need to find ways to get dense to cover sideline to sideline.

If CRAB is healthy that will be a huge boost.
What completely don’t understand about posts like this and our offense is that it hasn’t worked. We have lost more games than we should have and arguably it’s because our offenses is so one-dimensional. If we had won these games then I could see everyone telling us to relax. The one caveat is Purdue, where 22 played like a junior high school girl. Perhaps we won that game if we hadn’t thrown the ball to him.

Yes, we should look to an even worse offense for pointers.

Someone other than Simon. Can’t say “his” WR are overly impressive. PJ can find $1 million to pay for someone who can give us some creativity with our offense, that is providing we find 5 offensive linemen instead of 1 player and 4 decoys.

Yes, we should look to an even worse offense for pointers.
Guys, Iowa's offense has been statistically the worst in the Big Ten. Therefore, that means they actually didn't hit a massive play-action pass to a wide-open TE against our defense to set up the game winning FG! It didn't happen!

Someone other than Simon. Can’t say “his” WR are overly impressive. PJ can find $1 million to pay for someone who can give us some creativity with our offense, that is providing we find 5 offensive linemen instead of 1 player and 4 decoys.
We had plenty of creativity and moved the ball great on the only drive we scored a TD.

4 passes for 61 yards.

We just then chose to abandon that. For no fathomable reason.

:devilish::devilish::devilish::devilish:

KC had a sudden case of the runs, so Simon took over play-calling for that one drive where we hit 4 passes for 61 yards and scored a TD.

KC called the plays on the rest of the drives.

Prove me wrong!!!!!

:devilish::devilish::devilish::devilish:

Guys, Iowa's offense has been statistically the worst in the Big Ten. Therefore, that means they actually didn't hit a massive play-action pass to a wide-open TE against our defense to set up the game winning FG! It didn't happen!
LaPorta seems way faster than BSF, thus the mismatches. BSF is big, but he isn’t a great catcher of contested balls from what I’ve seen. I mean if you want to copy the terrible Iowa offense then get some better tight ends.

LaPorta seems way faster than BSF, thus the mismatches. BSF is big, but he isn’t a great catcher of contested balls from what I’ve seen. I mean if you want to copy the terrible Iowa offense then get some better tight ends.
What about just that one play?

When we ran the ball with MO those 87 times in a row .... and then had to pass on 3rd & 7 .... why not a simple play-action and then dunk the ball behind the LBers to BSF?

I'm not paid to be an offensive coordinator. What do I know?

What about just that one play?

When we ran the ball with MO those 87 times in a row .... and then had to pass on 3rd & 7 .... why not a simple play-action and then dunk the ball behind the LBers to BSF?

I'm not paid to be an offensive coordinator. What do I know?
Sure, I agree there. Seems like we could get a lot more creative with the pass game, especially when the run game is clicking. No one is going to look good when we only pass in obvious spots.

How about asking Mo, as gets the ball , takes 2 step, and stops and throws a jump pass to Span Ford In the end zone? Saw that last weekend.

Wasn't there some talk here at one time (right around the time Fleck hired Sanford) that Simon didn't want to be thee OC?
Just a vague recollection, and too flustered to look back. The use of the word "Y'all" in the thread title and in the comments has gotten my mind off track.

I know y'all is a foreign word to many Minnesotans, but I think y'all is a brilliant invention of American English and you can't convince me otherwise.

Top Bottom