Y'all are right about Souhan

Certainly. Since 2004 in games that mean something his record has been average. It's well documented that Joseph and Cobbs left the program on bad terms with Tubby. I always assumed that Carter left solely because of his sister. If there is more to the story it adds to the concern about player relations. If you've seen enough games over the last four years it's hard to argue that the offensive system lacks flow.

No one would argue that Tubby hasn't improved the situation here. That's not the point. Souhan is suggesting that he's not meeting expectations and I think it's a fair argument. It's a bottom line world and by the end of the fourth year a $2M++ salary should bring an upper level B10 finish and a couple of tournament wins, at a minimum.

Carter was QUOTED that he left to be nearer his sister AND that he really liked Tubby and Gopher staff and players. Please add the More To The Story crap that you referenced.

Since 2004? Does that include 2004? Why 2004?

Perhaps I fell asleep - please link or post the final B10 standings for 2011. Please also post the final NCAA tournament results for 2011 so we can see who had a couple of tourney W this year.

:clap::clap::clap:Outstanding.

Yeah, last time I checked , the Gophers weren't sitting at home or playing in the NIT just yet. But that doesn't stop some from putting a knife in them anyways.

While much of what YOU say is true, Souhan didn't exactly elaborate or provide any background in his column. Maybe its implied, but Souhan's not a consistent enough follower of the program to allow me to believe that. I realize he has limited space to get his point across, but he also decides to fill it with statements like 'he ran off Cobbs and Joseph'. Tubby can't win against statements like that. If Cobbs and Joseph remained, and were causing major team chemistry issues, Tubby would get blamed for that as well. Souhan could have put up some #s indicating that Tubby's offenses have historically struggled to consistently score, but he left it up to a one-line, throw away sentence. Lazy.

Surely this season isn't living up to expectations. I'll be the first to admit it, but Tubby's also been dealt a tough hand, with injuries and transfers. For Souhan to blame him for some of the things that are out of his control is ridiculous. Like I said, if Nolen is healthy, we probably have 2 more Big Ten wins and this column isn't even written.

In a post in an earlier thread I said that it was a depleted roster and the best coaching can only compensate so much for a lack of depth and talent.

Certainly. Since 2004 in games that mean something his record has been average. It's well documented that Joseph and Cobbs left the program on bad terms with Tubby. I always assumed that Carter left solely because of his sister. If there is more to the story it adds to the concern about player relations. If you've seen enough games over the last four years it's hard to argue that the offensive system lacks flow.

No one would argue that Tubby hasn't improved the situation here. That's not the point. Souhan is suggesting that he's not meeting expectations and I think it's a fair argument. It's a bottom line world and by the end of the fourth year a $2M++ salary should bring an upper level B10 finish and a couple of tournament wins, at a minimum.

It's well documented that Joseph and Cobbs left the program on bad terms with Tubby.
Cobbs leaves because "Coach wanted to slow it down," Cobbs said. "In high school, it was more of an up-and-down..." Cobbs added later: "I felt a little limited -- not saying Coach Smith limited me, he has a good strategy, he's won championships. .... But for me to fit in, I felt it was a little different because I'm more of a scoring guard."

I would hardly call that "well documented", or depicting someone leaving on bad terms.

Did you really expect Joseph to be all flowery about Tubby when he's going to get suspended (again) for smoking weed? You were asked to "elaborate on all the extensive historical evidence". You making a statement of your opinion that he left on bad terms does not frame this situation accurately.

If there is more to the story it adds to the concern about player relations.
And if there is not more to the story, you've done nothing but flame a fire that shouldn't exist. You stated yourself "I always assumed that Carter left solely because of his sister." Has reading that hack Souhan substantially changed your mind on this?

It's well documented that Joseph and Cobbs left the program on bad terms with Tubby.
Cobbs leaves because "Coach wanted to slow it down," Cobbs said. "In high school, it was more of an up-and-down..." Cobbs added later: "I felt a little limited -- not saying Coach Smith limited me, he has a good strategy, he's won championships. .... But for me to fit in, I felt it was a little different because I'm more of a scoring guard."

I would hardly call that "well documented", or depicting someone leaving on bad terms.

Did you really expect Joseph to be all flowery about Tubby when he's going to get suspended (again) for smoking weed? You were asked to "elaborate on all the extensive historical evidence". You making a statement of your opinion that he left on bad terms does not frame this situation accurately.

If there is more to the story it adds to the concern about player relations.
And if there is not more to the story, you've done nothing but flame a fire that shouldn't exist. You stated yourself "I always assumed that Carter left solely because of his sister." Has reading that hack Souhan substantially changed your mind on this?

Calif frosh G Gary Franklin left school recently because the coach there (where Cobbs transferred) doesn't play up-tempo enough for his liking. Maybe Cobbs erred?

Grass is always greener Dept.!

I wonder how happy he is? He could have helped this year, but I suppose then Tubby wouldn't have recruited Maverick or Chip.

Souhan is still worth crap.

Top Bottom