Y'all are blaming the wrong thing for that loss...

Fleck's inability to hire a competent OC not named KC will be his undoing. Matt Simon can't be worse than Harbaugh/Sanford.
harbaugh sucks. im a fleck guy , but he is wasting another fricking year keeping this guy. i am a die hard, but he keeps people like that and what we see on saturdays a 4 year old could call plays to defend it. time is ticking harbaugh. how he still is coaching here is beyond me.

This is the correct answer. Any coordinator with a throw-the-ball scheme knows that they will be a square peg in a round hole. PJ has a MO that eliminates most of the quality candidates before he even starts to look.
And the corporate speak - one of those motivational speaker types your company brings in and makes you sit through.

harbaugh sucks. im a fleck guy , but he is wasting another fricking year keeping this guy. i am a die hard, but he keeps people like that and what we see on saturdays a 4 year old could call plays to defend it. time is ticking harbaugh. how he still is coaching here is beyond me.
It's PJ's offensive philosophy.

Not sure what your point is. North Carolina stuffed the run and blanketed the receivers? What chance did we have?
Major had 70 yards on 15 carries the first half (4.7). At half he had more yards than the NC All-American.

The receivers were blanketed because Brosmer was under pressure most of the game and seldom had time to set and throw down field according to the routes being run. On the last drive, when he finally had time to execute the play, he looked good.

Our heralded offensive line was very poor on pass protection and not dominating on the run game, especially the second half.
Not sure what your point is. North Carolina stuffed the run and blanketed the receivers? What chance did we have?

I've theorized before that one of the following must be true:

1. PJ is too insecure to hire a proven O.C. or at least an experienced O.C. with a modicum of success.
2. A proven O.C. or an O.C. with experience and at least a modicum of success wouldn't put up with PJ's schtick.
I've said #2 on here many times before! It's this way with ALL coordinators IMO, not just the OC. This is why the ST stink and the Defense, while not looking bad (look at NC's offense though) last night, will also show gaping holes this year me thinks.

I'm not sure who you're targeting with this post, because most people I see are primarily upset with the OC, Harbaugh, play calling, offensive approach, etc. Yes, the O-Line got bullied by a very, very good d-line, but overall the offensive scheme was incredibly disappointing.

Regarding your point about UNC coverage - we moved the ball extremely well when exactly they expected us to pass so I don't buy it that we couldn't have gone more pass-heavy in the first 3 quarters. They were dropping 7 during the 2-minute drill and we looked better than we did all night.

We're all just sick of PJ's conservative offensive philosophy, and it seems to have spanned across multiple OC's at this point. The rest of good to great teams aren't afraid to push the ball downfield, even if their run game is stifled

PJ needs to have a serious talk with Harbaugh because this scheme and play calling will not win big games in the B1G.
The first serious talk needs to be with the offensive line coaches. Nobody knows what our passing game looks like based on last night because Brosmer seldom had time to set up and hit a receiver in rythym. He threw two very nice deep balls to Jackson which forced the defense to interfere in order to stop the long gain.

Last edited:

I'm not saying Harbaugh has done anything to make me think he'll move on and be a good OC someplace else.
Like Wally said, It's PJ's offensive philosophy, it's PJ's operations manual. Harbaugh is simply the manager of a McDonalds. He has no opportunity to change the menu or the proportions. I'm guessing sometimes he might get to choose the play. Yelling at Harbaugh is yelling at PJ...PJ is the puppet master.

Major had 70 yards on 15 carries the first half (4.7). At half he had more yards than the NC All-American.

The receivers were blanketed because Brosmer was under pressure most of the game and seldom had time to set and throw down field according to the routes being run. On the last drive, when he finally had time to execute the play, he looked good.

Our heralded offensive line was very poor on pass protection and not dominating on the run game, especially the second half.

Good writing.

And in addition, Carolina was stacking the run.

And people are complaining the Gophers bunched receivers, making it worse. Did not exploit further midrange.

And yea you mentioned o line was letting in pressure.

Last drive was good and other stuff. The potential is there.

Next two games will be good progress/practice.

Also, where has Bad Gopher been??? he is always good with football game breakdowns. I think we may have lost a fellow poster fellows.

I'm not saying Harbaugh has done anything to make me think he'll move on and be a good OC someplace else.
Like Wally said, It's PJ's offensive philosophy, it's PJ's operations manual. Harbaugh is simply the manager of a McDonalds. He has no opportunity to change the menu or the proportions. I'm guessing sometimes he might get to choose the play. Yelling at Harbaugh is yelling at PJ...PJ is the puppet master.
Spot on 60's guy. I am not mad at all at Harbaugh because it is 100% PJ that is calling the shots. Heck you saw it in the other thread on the presser. He said he called for a run because that was the right call in that situation and it was the best decision. That's what he believes. He is all about Tressel ball and has admitted to that. This is what Tressel ball looks like and I hate it! I think KC was able to go against PJ due to his experience...It is very possible that he left because that relationship started to change, at least to me it seemed that way. When KC came back for his second stint he didn't pass like he used to, some will say he didn't have the QB, some will say he didn't have the receivers. I personally think PJ changed it up with what he was going to allow and that's why KC was out after just 1 year. If it was the QB why would KC take Athan and name him starter? I dunno, it's maddening.

Didn't seem like we ran the RPO much or at all last night.
Almost every handoff to the RB they did is RPO. The QB hands it to the ball carrier with 2 hands on the ball and they wait a second of two before the RB goes. That’s RPO. I’d rather they do play action vs. RPO because the RB is alway moving towards the line and not stopping and waiting. It give the D time to blow up the line and penetrate the backfield in RPO.

I'm actually more optimistic about Brosmer (and the defense) after this game. It's just too bad that I haven't been convinced of the OC situation since KC left. What role PJ plays in micro-managing that, I have no idea. I don't care about the blame being handed out. Figure it out PJ and good luck getting 6 wins.

I'm actually more optimistic about Brosmer (and the defense) after this game. It's just too bad that I haven't been convinced of the OC situation since KC left. What role PJ plays in micro-managing that, I have no idea. I don't care about the blame being handed out. Figure it out PJ and good luck getting 6 wins.
You're not crazy. I walked away from that game pretty pleased. Obviously, the W would be better, but the things that were broken (run game, offensive line) are things that we know Fleck & Co. can fix.

They should have won that game. The things that sunk them were penalties, missed kicks, and a dumb fumble. The actual play on the field was pretty even (or maybe in the Gophers favor).

The first serious talk needs to be with the offensive line coaches. Nobody knows what our passing game looks like based on last night because Brosmer seldom had time to set up and hit a receiver in rythym. He threw two very nice deep balls to Jackson which forced the defense to interfere in order to stop the long gain.
Agreed. Look, UNC has one of the best d-lines in the country. Even still, it was pathetic to see zero push in the run game. Everyone was hyping this line up to be the best in PJ's tenure

I was at the game and have not watched it back on TV yet. My thoughts at the game were, they are playing the run, we have to be able to throw the ball. I thought the QB was waiting for the receiver to be open before throwing, no anticipation. was not impressed.

Almost every handoff to the RB they did is RPO. The QB hands it to the ball carrier with 2 hands on the ball and they wait a second of two before the RB goes. That’s RPO. I’d rather they do play action vs. RPO because the RB is alway moving towards the line and not stopping and waiting. It give the D time to blow up the line and penetrate the backfield in RPO.
Is that true RPO though? I don't remember a lot of him pulling it out and throwing. Certainly didn't see any of the RPO with the slants we're used to seeing in the past.

It almost looked more like read option. Maybe I'm wrong though.

You need to be a pass threat to be able to run the ball, and some of the formations we run, particularly bunch formations, kill any and all potential we have to get the offense rolling. We need some reliable passing audibles when the offense clearly sees 8/9/10 in the box. Harbaugh's playcalling is hot garbage and Fleck continues to either tolerate it or promote it. If it doesn't improve in the next few weeks, he's gotta go.
Georgia is currently slashing Clemson with very similar concept. Bunch formations are not an inherently bad thing.

Georgia is currently slashing Clemson with very similar concept. Bunch formations are not an inherently bad thing.
As someone mentioned before, you need the talent to be able to successfully run a predictable offensive scheme like Georgia was with the bunch formations. We don't have their star power.

I agree. I didnt think brosmer played that bad, but when you dont let him throw in the red zone you cant blame it on him. He looked good on last posession. If he throws pick in red zone thats fine, but at least we tried.

Ah, no.

That two-guys-holding-the-ball-at-the-same-time shtick has to go, as should the long counts. PJ has to force himself to try new approaches - as so many here have pointed out, he can't break with the TOP, short run offense. Gophers rarely have big plays, running or passing.

Top Bottom