WVU must excel at "big boy football" to defeat Minnesota

BleedGopher

Reaction score
per Bob:

If Neal Brown is to extend his career bowl record to 5-0 and finish the 2021 West Virginia football season with a winning record and a run of five wins in the final seven games, signaling to the Big 12 that they may be sitting upon a football rebirth, they are going to have to do it with some “big boy” football against Minnesota in Tuesday’s late night extravaganza known as the Guaranteed Rate Bowl.

Played in Phoenix’s Chase Field as a challenger to the late-night talk shows with a 10:15 p.m. kickoff on ESPN, the Mountaineers bring a 6-6 record into their first-ever meeting with Minnesota’s Golden Gophers, a team built on physicality that put together an 8-4 record while going 6-3 in Big Ten play.

“I have a lot of respect for what P.J. Fleck has done, not only at Minnesota, but also at Western Michigan,” Neal Brown said. “When you watch them, they are a really good football team. They are 8-4 and easily could be 10-2 and their physicality and toughness are what stands out.”

Go Gophers!!

Neal Brown sounds like Lou Hotz's in all of his press conferences. They might as well not show up.

There was some game I watched recently - might have been the NDSU playoff game - where the announcers spent the entire game talking about "big boy football."

what the frak does that even mean?

OK, I understand what they're trying to say, but it's such a lazy way of expressing their point.

another one in the same vein is "Team A is "imposing their will" on team B."

how about actually showing us examples of how team A is blocking better or doing something to gain an advantage.

I am dead serious when I say that the overall quality of sports announcing seems to be getting worse every year. I don't know how some of these "color men" get hired.

They know their audience in which the literacy level and aural comprehension has sunk over the past decades.
Looking at a local newspaper published in the forties compared to one now and you will understand the nonsense spewed today by sports announcers.

There was some game I watched recently - might have been the NDSU playoff game - where the announcers spent the entire game talking about "big boy football."

OK, I understand what they're trying to say, but it's such a lazy way of expressing their point.

how about actually showing us examples of how team A is blocking better or doing something to gain an advantage.

I am dead serious when I say that the overall quality of sports announcing seems to be getting worse every year. I don't know how some of these "color men" get hired.
Another one is “out-physicaling”

The announcing in the Wisconsin game was trash. Hoping for a better crew today.

They know their audience in which the literacy level and aural comprehension has sunk over the past decades.
Looking at a local newspaper published in the forties compared to one now and you will understand the nonsense spewed today by sports announcers.
Sounding like they are having a junior high conversation is not a coincidence nor an accident. The typical demographic reads somewhere at the 7th to 8th grade level.

Along the same line..One of the most annoying duo of announcers was the two chuckleheads doing the Gophers-Auburn Outback Bowl. Their mantra through most of the game was "yes, folks, Auburn is trying to win this game but these pesky Gophers just won't let 'em!".

Top Bottom