WVU coach - It is tough to play basketball in the Big 12 Conference, we are tired (of travel and time zone changes)

Tough night for me..... Gophers lose and Gabe scores 17 to help Iowa State give WVU it's 11th loss in 13 games!

Tough night for me..... Gophers lose and Gabe scores 17 to help Iowa State give WVU it's 11th loss in 13 games!
This is saying they've lost 12 of the last 13?? https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/2021–...rs_men's_basketball_team#Schedule_and_results

tommy-boy.gif

On the bright side, 2 of their last 3 games are at home.
Man, to go from 13-2 to 14-14, that's a rough patch. Like to see Huggins finish with a winning record for the season.

In many places, streaks like that get a coach fired. Huggy has a lot of slack at WVU, I think.
Hard to recruit a coach as good as Huggs to come to Morgantown. We are hoping that one of his former players will take the job when Huggs is done coaching. Huggs was born in Morgantown and loves the state of West Virginia. Huggs has raised over $16 million for cancer research in his mother's name and he also raises money for the many unemployed coal miners in the state. He wants to build a cancer hospital in Morgantown so the locals don't have to travel so far for proper medical attention! He could probably become the governor there if he wanted.

If Huggy Bear hates the travel now, wait until they add BYU. UCF's travel for hoops is going to be insane.

If Huggy Bear hates the travel now, wait until they add BYU. UCF's travel for hoops is going to be insane.
And it's all for football.

It's too bad that such far flung conferences of essentially "P5 hangers on" can't just be for football, with then more localized confs for the rest of the sports.

Huggs isn't upset about the sat/mon games. In fact he asked for the two game road trips to cut down on the travel. When WVU first joined the Big 12 each road game for WVU was a I game trip! Every other teams away games were short road trips, pretty unfair advantage for them. Plus, like Huggs said each WVU road game is half a country away! Have any of you guys ever tried to fly in or out of Morgantown? The rest of the Big 12 has to make that trip once a season....and they hate that trip. WVU has to do it every road game. With the addition of Cincy and UCF, WVU will have a couple of closer road games in the future.
Morgantown to Ames is 900 miles.
Morgantown to Orlando is 870 miles.

You’re right about Cincinnati though

Morgantown to Ames is 900 miles.
Morgantown to Orlando is 870 miles.

You’re right about Cincinnati though
Right so it’s adding a closer game than expected he Texas schools. It’s also easier to travel north-south and stay on the same clock. That was Huggins point.

Right so it’s adding a closer game than expected he Texas schools. It’s also easier to travel north-south and stay on the same clock. That was Huggins point.
I was responding to you talking about flying out of Morgantown by saying a flight Morgantown to Ames is literally almost identical to a flight to Orlando.

Getting into Happy Valley is not a piece of cake either.

If you're chartering your own flights, then sure it doesn't matter. You can fly directly or pretty close to directly between Morgantown WV and Ames Iowa.

No question football does, and probably men's basketball and a few other sports.

If flying commercial, that is going to be more of a pain in the butt. Probably busing 1-1.5hrs up to Pittsburgh airport, which isn't a hub for any airline, so then flying to a hub and then flying to a nearby airport and busing in. Long day of travel.

Did not know BB was at West Virginia before Florida State!

FSU 1987-2000 I feel like is about a good a run in major college football as you can get. 14 years of consecutive top 5 finishes. 11-3 in bowl games, all but one being Fiesta, Sugar, Cotton, or Orange.
If you ever saw the movie ‘We Are Marshall’, Bowden is shown as the WVU coach when Marshall plays them. Haven’t been to Morgantown but had a few visits to Huntington, WV and also rafted down the New River once, beautiful part of the country.

Top Bottom