WR who have been healthy all year?

balds

Reaction score
Green (although has dealt with a knee issue).

Is that it?

Crawford-Tufts
Jones
Fruechette
Harbison
McDonald
Barker
Engel

have all missed time.

Yes, pretty sure all have missed time... and Gray

And of these below, I am trying to remember if Moulton played? I believe Cesario caught a pass and Keise was dressed for Illinois, but did he play?

V.Keise
M.Moulton
C.J.Cesario
L.Hutton
C.Wilson

(Not all of WRs... I know)

Wild-crazy year for injuries!

Okay, so with the guys that are going to be able to play WR this Saturday, who's our best deep threat?

Crawford-Tufts and Fruechette.

This is a good thread and it begs a question: shouldn't we be seeing more throws to the TE than? Maybe keeping them in to block is taking a higher priority?

I know I saw Keise on the field at some point this year but looking at the stats he has not caught a pass.

Our WR stats through 10 games are painful to look at. Barker has put up decent nubmers but nobody else is doing anything. We have spread the ball around but even if you combine two or three guys together the numbers are still ugly. Heck Gray is our #3 receiver in terms of receptions and he was either playing QB or injured for a good part of the season.

Coming into the year I was worried about our receiving corps. Barker has been a pleasant surprise but the rest of the group has been pretty average to this point. About the only positive is they are not dropping a ton of passes.

I hear you. I was expecting more from Crawford-Tufts and McDonald. If McDonald doesn't start getting involved, you wonder if it might have been better to redshirt him this first year.

I hear you. I was expecting more from Crawford-Tufts and McDonald. If McDonald doesn't start getting involved, you wonder if it might have been better to redshirt him this first year.

I think a WR still gains experience even if they aren't making a lot of receptions. Just being out there running routes certainly helps. Yes, it would be better if he was catching more passes, but I don't think it's a complete waste.

Through 10 weeks a true go to guy has yet to emerge. Barker has put up some nice numbers but prior to the Purdue game he had been invisible in Big Ten games and to me he is more of a really good #2 guy and not a true #1 receiver. Youth comes into play but far less at the skill positions and to this point none of the young receivers really stand out as great future options. We have bodies, which is a good thing, but we need to find that #1 guy at the WR position that can be a game changer for us.....right now we don't have that and I don't believe Barker can be that guy in conference play, especially against most secondaries that won't be as dumb as Purdue's was in trying to jump every route letting receivers run wide open past them.

Through 10 weeks a true go to guy has yet to emerge. Barker has put up some nice numbers but prior to the Purdue game he had been invisible in Big Ten games and to me he is more of a really good #2 guy and not a true #1 receiver. Youth comes into play but far less at the skill positions and to this point none of the young receivers really stand out as great future options. We have bodies, which is a good thing, but we need to find that #1 guy at the WR position that can be a game changer for us.....right now we don't have that and I don't believe Barker can be that guy in conference play, especially against most secondaries that won't be as dumb as Purdue's was in trying to jump every route letting receivers run wide open past them.

Well said. I really like Barker and if he makes as much progress between his junior and senior years as he did between his sophomore and junior years, he may be a #1. He's a great athlete who is developing his receiving skills.

How come Crawford-Tufts hasn't gotten more action? The guy has incredible speed.

How come Crawford-Tufts hasn't gotten more action? The guy has incredible speed.

I believe he has been dealing with various injuries. Also there is more to the WR position than just speed. Seems like we have a bunch of guys with pretty good speed but if you don't know how to get open it doesn't matter how fast you are. The DB's at this level are pretty fast as well.

He did lead the team in receiving in the games against Iowa and Northwestern including 74 yards against the Hawkeyes.

He did lead the team in receiving in the games against Iowa and Northwestern including 74 yards against the Hawkeyes.

Not disputing he is our best option right now but 5 catches for 74 yards and 3 catches for 49 yards isn't exactly great production by WR standards. Barker has been a pleasant surprise and is a great story but he is not the kind of guy you want to count on as your #1 option. On most teams in the Big Ten I would bet he is the #2 or #3 guy. The scarier part is that no one else in the receiver corps has stood out at all as and option for now or in the future in terms of being a true impact guy.

Not disputing he is our best option right now but 5 catches for 74 yards and 3 catches for 49 yards isn't exactly great production by WR standards. Barker has been a pleasant surprise and is a great story but he is not the kind of guy you want to count on as your #1 option. On most teams in the Big Ten I would bet he is the #2 or #3 guy. The scarier part is that no one else in the receiver corps has stood out at all as and option for now or in the future in terms of being a true impact guy.

I guess we'll just have to disagree. 5 receptions for 74 yards is not my definition of being invisible. Only two players in the Big Ten average more than 74 yards a game receiving.

I think a better statement would be that our passing game (other than against Purdue) has been virtually invisible in the Big Ten.

I guess we'll just have to disagree. 5 receptions for 74 yards is not my definition of being invisible. Only two players in the Big Ten average more than 74 yards a game receiving.

I think a better statement would be that our passing game (other than against Purdue) has been virtually invisible in the Big Ten.

We definitely agree on that. This really is a rough year for the Big Ten at the QB and WR positions across the board in terms of top talents and star power. Heck there is even talk that Denard won't be back as the full time QB at Michigan since they are so happy with what they are seeing from Gardner.

We definitely agree on that. This really is a rough year for the Big Ten at the QB and WR positions across the board in terms of top talents and star power. Heck there is even talk that Denard won't be back as the full time QB at Michigan since they are so happy with what they are seeing from Gardner.

Yeah, there are 29 teams in FBS (out of 120) that average less than 200 passing yards a game. Seven are in the Big Ten.

On the other side, there are only 18 teams in the FBS that average more than 215 rushing yards per game. Four are in the Big Ten.

Yeah, there are 29 teams in FBS (out of 120) that average less than 200 passing yards a game. Seven are in the Big Ten.

On the other side, there are only 18 teams in the FBS that average more than 215 rushing yards per game. Four are in the Big Ten.

Very interesting! Thanks for posting.

Those numbers are amazing. I knew the Big Ten was having a rough year in terms of offensive numbers but didn't realize it was that bad. In this era of wide open football the Big Ten seems to be firmly entrenched in the old days. I have a bad feeling this is going to be a really ugly bowl season for the conference.

Top Bottom