WR Quentin Gardener leaves U program

Stan

Reaction score
Marcus just tweeted that Garderner is leaving the program due to test score.

Full article on GI if someone wants to post all the info...

This really is bad news. I was as excited about this kid as any recruit last season not named Tommy Olson. I thought he had a real chance to contribute early. It's really common for teams to lose recruits before they even enter school but this one stings a bit. A few months ago I was pretty pumped at the prospects of having McDonald and Gardener as future WRs in our offense, this WR position is really becoming a downer.

Why lament over something we never had? Coulda, woulda, shoulda doesn't fly.

The only bad thing about this, is Coach Kill is down one more scholarship player.

Stupid thread title. He has not left the program. Is waiting on his June ACT, if he doesn't return for camp he will have to wait til January to rejoin team like Gray did.

He is back in TX because the NCAA says the school cannot house/feed him, etc. until test score is cleared up.

Stupid thread title. He has not left the program. Is waiting on his June ACT, if he doesn't return for camp he will have to wait til January to rejoin team like Gray did.

Thank you for clarifying this.

I was gonna mention how this reminds me of Gray's first year. It's interesting because Gray's actually a really smart kid. He had to retake his test because TheU/NCAA (not sure who decided it) thought his score was higher than it should have been. Hence the retake.

I wonder, though.. Will Gardener have the fortitude to do what Gray did, or just roll over?

We could look at this as a big loss or we could look at it like it is; this kid wasn't even a top 100 national player AT HIS POSITION coming out of high school.

Best of luck to the young man, but it's not like we lost a starter

How do we know when we have not seen him play yet?

I'll trust the people who have.

Just because he wasn't top 100 doesn't mean he won't contribute. I think if you had to place odds on having a major program impact, sure, the odds for a lower-ranked position player will be less than a top-ranked position player, but there are no sure things. Titus Young, Eric Decker, Randall Cobb, Johnny Knox, Mike Wallace are all guys that weren't ranked in the top 100 WR by Rivals who were drafted in the past couple drafts. Still in college, Justin Blackmon just made it into the top 100 (#91) and he's projected as the top WR in next year's draft.

There are a lot of schools where studying for the ACT is actually part of the curriculum. At other schools, the students go into the test cold. So, they take the test cold, do poorly, and then get some study guides - which are perfectly legal - study them and retake it. Then they do well, but some people get suspicious over raised scores, so they have to take it again. Best to study for it in the first place, libraries generally have study guides available.

Gardener was injured his Sr year of football; returned at end of season a few games, big schools backed off because they didn't get to see much of him. Rivals (national guys) listed 5 "sleepers" on NSD, regardless of position. Gardener was one of the 5....... Please get somewhat of a clue as to the subject you are discussing before actually posting.

I was gonna mention how this reminds me of Gray's first year. It's interesting because Gray's actually a really smart kid. He had to retake his test because TheU/NCAA (not sure who decided it) thought his score was higher than it should have been. Hence the retake.

I wonder, though.. Will Gardener have the fortitude to do what Gray did, or just roll over?

Here's to hoping he will. Is Gray allowed to keep contact with Gardener? Or is there some rule preventing that?

And if he should be in college, he should be in college. Doing poorly on a test doesn't necessarily mean that they shouldn't be in college. We allow people to take it again. That applies for everyone, not just athletes. Otherwise, perhaps we should ban ACT test preparation materials. And as has been stated, just because someone doesn't meet the U's entrance standards doesn't necessarily mean they don't belong in college.

If he can't get in UM, he can get in Boise St, ANYONE can get into Boise St

Yeah, that is one glaring thing people never talk about when they talk about the Boise St. football program, they are essentially a JuCo.

Sonny: Thanks for clarifying that, that is way different than him leaving the program.

Nuetral: Your logic is lost on me. You don't think it's a big loss because he isn't a top 100 ranked WR (neither were Decker or McKnight) and that we didn't lose a "starter". Well, I don't think you are following your logic all the way through. Lets keep using your logic...I assume you are talking about the recruiting rankings view on him, well according to the recruiting rankings he is the best WR recruit we've had (who is still on the team) in the past 3 seasons. So if you like the recruiting rankings view on him, although not a top 100 WR, he is still the best in the past 3 seasons.

Can we rename this thread, Gardner did not "Leave the program"....He's been sent home to get his test score up a la M Gray & S Reeves & while the odds are against him ever returning, we know it can be done.

XXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXX
Exactly, Gray seems to be highly intelligent regardless of his test score. He's clearly a great university ambassador. I think that Gray has more than fortitude. It appears he has great family support, self-confidence and a fair amount of academic self-efficacy. Best of luck to Gardener.

And if he should be in college, he should be in college. Doing poorly on a test doesn't necessarily mean that they shouldn't be in college. We allow people to take it again. That applies for everyone, not just athletes. Otherwise, perhaps we should ban ACT test preparation materials. And as has been stated, just because someone doesn't meet the U's entrance standards doesn't necessarily mean they don't belong in college.

Its not just doing badly on a test. The NCAA entrance requirements are on a sliding scale and the kind of test score needed is in relation to the kind of grades earned in high school. The higher the GPA the less need there is for a stellar ACT score (most likely established for this very reason).

XXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXX
Exactly, Gray seems to be highly intelligent regardless of his test score. He's clearly a great university ambassador. I think that Gray has more than fortitude. It appears he has great family support, self-confidence and a fair amount of academic self-efficacy. Best of luck to Gardener.

As I recall the issue was that Gary took the ACT & failed, then took the ACT and there was such a dramatic jump in test scores that his results were flagged so he had to go back & take it a 3rd time (which wasn't available for some months) under more scrutiny & when he passed it that time & the scores jived with his second test, then he was allowed back in.

Top Bottom