WR Corey Crooms Commits to Gophers!

Solid get. Hopefully he’s close with Selig, the linebacker target from WMU. WMU fans can’t be happy lol.

“It's a smart pickup, given we run pretty much the same offense, and Croom's old position coach, Greg Harbaugh, is on staff there, having coached for WMU before, and Minnesota before that, and WMU before that, lol.

If the portal stays, and I ran a big program, I would start developing some tight relationships with feeders schools, and vice versa for a de facto minor affiliation, not unlike some high schools having tight relationships with colleges.”

- from a member named “Running Game” on the WMU board

Thought it was a couple interesting takes.

Bolsters the WR corps, which (IMO) is a huge area of need. #7 getting injured hurt A LOT last year.

Huge upgrade for the current slot position. Slot was basically being used as a decoy and blocker by the end of the year.

Huge upgrade for the current slot position. Slot was basically being used as a decoy and blocker by the end of the year.
What is funny is that I think that burned Wisc when we DIDN'T do that on a couple plays.

Kinda froze the DBs, made them miss a step possibly.

Granted ... don't want to have to do that all season to setup one game...

Another underwhelming medium size fish from a small pond 🤷🏻‍♂️

Can’t catch sharks or whales 🤦🏻‍♂️

Another underwhelming medium size fish from a small pond 🤷🏻‍♂️

Can’t catch sharks or whales 🤦🏻‍♂️
there are players on every team in the MAC that could start and be above average players in the Big Ten. I would guesstimate more than half of MAC teams currently have at least one future NFL contributor on their roster. Fishing in those ponds is a growing part of the sport.

Compounded with a general lack of knowledge of how sports work. Reminds me of the 2 guys I had sitting behind me at the Purdue game. Bad take after bad take.
Why doesn’t everyone just promote their WR coach and become Clemson?!?!

/s

there are players on every team in the MAC that could start and be above average players in the Big Ten. I would guesstimate more than half of MAC teams currently have at least one future NFL contributor on their roster. Fishing in those ponds is a growing part of the sport.
Well said. Not sure why some posters struggle so much with the concept that you can find really good players who didn't get a power 5 scholarship out of high school.

Watch any NFL game where they have the player say where they went to college. You will hear lots of power 5 schools but there will also be a bunch of guys who played at small schools.

Well said. Not sure why some posters struggle so much with the concept that you can find really good players who didn't get a power 5 scholarship out of high school.

Watch any NFL game where they have the player say where they went to college. You will hear lots of power 5 schools but there will also be a bunch of guys who played at small schools.

Good point. I just pulled up the Vikings roster. 12 of the 54 active were not from Power 5, so 22%.

I counted only 5 players from solidly recent blue chip type programs (LSU, Michigan, Alabama and Oklahoma). 5 more if you count Texas, Oregon, and Florida State.

Good point. I just pulled up the Vikings roster. 12 of the 54 active were not from Power 5, so 22%.

I counted only 5 players from solidly recent blue chip type programs (LSU, Michigan, Alabama and Oklahoma). 5 more if you count Texas, Oregon, and Florida State.
And NFL isn't really even the best metric for this since you can be a really good college player but not pan out in the NFL. Just figured it would provide a good example of quality players coming from lower levels.

Just for fun though I looked at non power 5 players on a few other NFL rosters. Looked at the Patriots, Lions, and Eagles (not sure why I picked those 3). Patriots and Lions were very similar to the Vikings. Eagles however have 20 guys from non-power 5 schools on their roster.

Top Bottom