Wow

drnkmn

Reaction score
Why wouldnt you pay 2 mill/yr. for this excellence. How could a AD justify that salary to the University?

they cant shoot because they dont have a practice facility, just ask Tubby.

Home Court

Do the Gophers still enjoy home court advantage in the Big 10?

Remember No matter how many losses, no matter who the loss is to It's NOT Tubby's fault.

a foolish consistency is the hobgoblin of little minds

bye bye TS

It's NOT Tubby's fault.

Of course not, he lost Al Nolen last year and he lost Trevor this year. How can you ask him to win a B10 game without those guys??

the one guy on this team that i would personally never want to have the ball in his hands to take a last shot (maverick) of course had the ball in his hands. and threw up a horrible looking shot on a very make-able drive to the basket for a decent number of college b-ball guards. ahanmisi is not a d1 guard or d1 player. why did tubby recruit this guy again? i am missing it. he is a terrible shooter and doesn't run an offense with much efficiency or ease.

i know there wasn't much time left on that final drive down the floor, but to not see another player come back to take the ball from maverick or for him to get it passed off to an actual shooter on the floor is just maddening.

the one guy on this team that i would personally never want to have the ball in his hands to take a last shot (maverick) of course had the ball in his hands. and threw up a horrible looking shot on a very make-able drive to the basket for a decent number of college b-ball guards. ahanmisi is not a d1 guard or d1 player. why did tubby recruit this guy again? i am missing it. he is a terrible shooter and doesn't run an offense with much efficiency or ease.
Mav's shot actually wasn't that bad. And it's not his fault he had the ball. No one else wanted it. They just stood there.

Mav's shot actually wasn't that bad. And it's not his fault he had the ball. No one else wanted it. They just stood there.

Yes and no. The shot was pretty terrible. He threw-up prayer when he didn't have to. You are correct on the second part. The other guys were lazy-really lazy.

his shot and release were horrible considering he didn't have that much pressure on the ball relative to the iowa defenders that were around him. as i said above, i think a decent number of competent d1 guards put up a much better looking shot than mav did and maybe even make the shot. at least a shot that actually hits the rim from that close in. didn't look like mav's shot even caught the iron when it came off of the glass.

Yes and no. The shot was pretty terrible. He threw-up prayer when he didn't have to. You are correct on the second part. The other guys were lazy-really lazy.

This has to be the most concerning part. Tubby's been here long enough to get exactly the type of player he wants, and all we have is a bunch of passive, non-aggressive perimter guys who can't shoot. Coleman was the only one tonight who was driving to the basket, and he was busy holding down the bench when it counted.

I think for a guy being put in a situation he shouldn't be in it was a decent attempt. Welch should be the guy taking these shots, but both times Mav took them Welch was the guy that passed him the ball.

This has to be the most concerning part. Tubby's been here long enough to get exactly the type of player he wants, and all we have is a bunch of passive, non-aggressive perimter guys who can't shoot. Coleman was the only one tonight who was driving to the basket, and he was busy holding down the bench when it counted.

Offensively Austin Hollins doesn't give you much, I would hope Coleman starts to see more playing time. He is a little lacking in defense right now but physically and from a long term perspective there is no comparison. They both shoot about the same but Coleman is hands down better driving to the basket.

Andre Hollins is starting to play a little better, I'm not sure where you play him, I just don't see him as a PG but he needs to get on the floor more often.

I think for a guy being put in a situation he shouldn't be in it was a decent attempt. Welch should be the guy taking these shots, but both times Mav took them Welch was the guy that passed him the ball.

He didn't even hit rim, so it wasn't a decent attempt. Mav simply can't finish around the hoop. He can hit a three now and then, but driving and scoring just isn't going to happen with him. Anyone but Mav should have taken the shot, but that's not the way it happened. What does it say about Dre when Mav is in the game during the last seconds? I've written it before-we need a point guard badly. Going into next season with Mav and Dre as our options is not going to be good at all.

I would think they would prepare for last minute shots and try to get it to Williams driving to the basket, you have a better chance scoring or getting fouled. You would think they would practice that.

He didn't even hit rim, so it wasn't a decent attempt. Mav simply can't finish around the hoop. He can hit a three now and then, but driving and scoring just isn't going to happen with him. Anyone but Mav should have taken the shot, but that's not the way it happened. What does it say about Dre when Mav is in the game during the last seconds? I've written it before-we need a point guard badly. Going into next season with Mav and Dre as our options is not going to be good at all.

What does it say about Tubby when Mav is in the game during the final seconds? Tubby should have been playing Dre 30 minutes a game in the non-conference and you would have a better more confident player right now. Mav is a great kid and gives it his all but he's not a Big Ten point guard that you can win with.

We are in year 5 and we are a team that is starting Mav at the point, we have no pure shooters (that Tubby plays) we have zero rebounding outside of Rodney (who Tubby thought was a small forward all along) and we have precious few guys that can create a shot.

Worse yet, next year's recruits though they may be very good players do not appear to patch any of these gaping holes according to scouting reports on them.

Sure Tubby has had some bad luck. Too bad. Make it work, recruit better balanced squads with a mix of shooters and athletes, get better assistants that offset your weaknesses (someone that can recruit and coach offense please).

What does it say about Tubby when Mav is in the game during the final seconds? Tubby should have been playing Dre 30 minutes a game in the non-conference and you would have a better more confident player right now. Mav is a great kid and gives it his all but he's not a Big Ten point guard that you can win with.

We are in year 5 and we are a team that is starting Mav at the point, we have no pure shooters (that Tubby plays) we have zero rebounding outside of Rodney (who Tubby thought was a small forward all along) and we have precious few guys that can create a shot.

Worse yet, next year's recruits though they may be very good players do not appear to patch any of these gaping holes according to scouting reports on them.

Sure Tubby has had some bad luck. Too bad. Make it work, recruit better balanced squads with a mix of shooters and athletes, get better assistants that offset your weaknesses (someone that can recruit and coach offense please).
Well, at least Buggs is supposed to be a shooter?

Well, at least Buggs is supposed to be a shooter?

I understand Buggs has a lot of talent and upside and perhaps he's a good shooter as well. I have to be realistic about this, he's a kid that appears not to be averaging double figures on his prep school team. It seems doubtful that he jumps into the Big Ten and solves any of our offensive woes for a few years.

On KFAN, Tubby made it clear he doesn't want Mav driving the lane. Yet, that is what happened.
We need to see more of Dre and Coleman

I understand Buggs has a lot of talent and upside and perhaps he's a good shooter as well. I have to be realistic about this, he's a kid that appears not to be averaging double figures on his prep school team. It seems doubtful that he jumps into the Big Ten and solves any of our offensive woes for a few years.

As a way to weather the storm, I've been looking at our recruits. You have a good read on Buggs. Big time recruit, needs probably two years to make an impact. Listed from 190-215 lbs. I would bet 190 lbs, I think he's almost painfully skinny, but big time talent. Very good mid-range jumper, has three point range. In a perfect world I would redshirt.

We've been through this before. Way too early to jump ship.

As a way to weather the storm, I've been looking at our recruits. You have a good read on Buggs. Big time recruit, needs probably two years to make an impact. Listed from 190-215 lbs. I would bet 190 lbs, I think he's almost painfully skinny, but big time talent. Very good mid-range jumper, has three point range. In a perfect world I would redshirt.

We've been through this before. Way too early to jump ship.

I understand the need to grasp anything to feel better about the state of the program. Buggs may turn out to be a very good player but calling him a big time recruit and saying he probably needs two years to make an impact or probably should be redshirted IMO does not indicate a big time recruit. A big time recruit should be a player that can make an impact immediately and not 2 years later.

I understand the need to grasp anything to feel better about the state of the program. Buggs may turn out to be a very good player but calling him a big time recruit and saying he probably needs two years to make an impact or probably should be redshirted IMO does not indicate a big time recruit. A big time recruit should be a player that can make an impact immediately and not 2 years later.

How many weeks have you been following B1G basketball?

Buggs is a "nice" recruit. He is by no means a "big time recruit". He just isn't. Tubby has failed to get big time recruits here as we thought he would. Tyus will be the next one to say no.

Five years in and he has yet to recruit a Point Guard, that is more telling than anything.

True, but ...

i know there wasn't much time left on that final drive down the floor, but to not see another player come back to take the ball from maverick or for him to get it passed off to an actual shooter on the floor is just maddening.

Yes, but who on this team could you put in a clutch situation and think that he would succeed. MN hasn't been able to recruit that kind of a player lately.

ccgophfan said:
Yes, but who on this team could you put in a clutch situation and think that he would succeed. MN hasn't been able to recruit that kind of a player lately.

I'd give it to Welch or Andre or Joe. Welch as I think he's the most talented of the 3. Andre because he's the best at creating a shot. Or joe because he seems to be pretty fearless and won't shrink in the moment.

I'd give it to Welch or Andre or Joe. Welch as I think he's the most talented of the 3. Andre because he's the best at creating a shot. Or joe because he seems to be pretty fearless and won't shrink in the moment.

I would have just given it to Chip. He tries hard and IMO is the most fearless player on the team. Maybe not the best, but just as good as MN's other options.

Top Bottom