Wow, what a bad call!!

JPIIGopher

Reaction score
The Kansas St. Syracuse bowl game was one of the best games of the bowl season and the refs had to go and ruin it with just a terrible excessive celebration penalty. You be the judge:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MG2elnucMPY

Give the kid a warning and let them go for the tie, this is a great example of the ref getting in the way of the great game...what a shame:mad:

Same thing called against Stoudermire last year after a big catch.

It's not a "weak call", it as been regularly called for the last two years and is a pretty easily defined. Keep your celebration with your teammates.

If the coaches don't like it, they will change it. So far, not much call for it to be changed.

Just had the same exact thing in the Tennessee game. Vols player saluted twice...no call. The surprising thing? Both crews, per the announcers, are from the Big10. I do agree, totally BS call.

Big Ten has higher standards when it comes to this as well as helmet contact. Tough call but Big Ten officials are consistant with it.

Vols player also moved his hands along his belt with an official looking on and yet no call. That is why it is a weak call, there is no consistency from game to game/crew to crew. If it's not obvious and taunting, it shouldn't be called.

At the very least the NCAA needs to address this issue. The inconsistency displayed just in two bowl games tonight highlights the issuie. I've always noticed the SEC gets away with the most celebrations after sacks and touchdowns. Some of it I'm all right with but there just needs to be consistency.

When the game is on the line however, unless it's just really blatant, I think you just give the warning.

That is a terrible call.

I realize that it might be called at other times but, IMO, those are bad calls as well. The kid wasn't trying to bring extra attention to himself. He made a quick and unassuming salute to the fans. He didn't pose or bring a ton of attention to himself. If he had pumped his fist to the crowd in the exact same way, it wouldn't have been called.

Terrible call and lack of inconsistency. Decker pretended to do an axe swing last year and wasn't flagged for it so why should a salute be any different?

Did Desmond Howard get a flag for his Heisman pose? That's a historic moment that couldn't happen now.

What a bunk call

That official was looking to make that call if he threw that flag after the salute. What about the defensive back hanging on and throwing him well after the play and touchdown were completed.
This is the type of officiating call that influences the outcome of a game just like the Big10 officials did against Purdue in the Metrodome on that phantom field goal and then the blown touchdown call.

I saw a player get a sack in that same game and celebrated by i believe "wiping himself down" completely solo and there was no call. Let them celebrate if they want if they arent back on the line in time for the next play throw a flag

At the end of a game? Sorry, the ref has lost the forest for the trees. It was not even an exaggerated action, pretty sad for everybody.

The best calls are those which are not made. This was a dead ball foul. The back judge should have kept the flag in his pocket, warned the player, and let the players decide the game. I am not sure who reviews these officals, but he should be pulled aside and warned. A horrible call.

The way I see this situation: If the call isn't made, nobody talks about how 'Cuse got screwed by the refs because a personal foul wasn't called.

Bad call. No question.

Probably a bad call, but technically correct. Why isn't anybody blaming the player? No salute = No flag. He should know the rule. I know it can be inconsistantly called from time to time, but why risk it at such an important time?

Technically, no it was not

Here is the rule, quoted after the game. Any delayed, excessive, prolonged or choreographed act by which a player attempts to focus attention on himself (or themselves)."

It was nnot delayed, excessive, prolonged or choreographed,no did it attempt to focus attention on himself.

You judge for yourself, this is officiating gone mad.

Top Bottom