Wow, KSTP 1500 to go all sports, take on KFAN!!

KSTP just continues to screw it up. I can't remember the name of the guy, but he used to do the 9-12 morning show. They bagged him and replaced him with those jokers Preeble and Murphy who run the worst radio show known to man. I don't like the all sports format myself. I like talk radio, but it is what it is. At least they are keeping GL and I always get a kick out of Souchery and Reusse together, so it could be worse.

I live in Sioux Falls right now and I think sports fans will really like listening to "The Herd" from 9-noon. He talks tons of college football and is actually pretty funny and realistic. He is 500x more listenable and interesting than P.A. I would never choose the P.A. over Colin.

Pat Reusse, his morning show shattered expectations...Reusse is to Twins fans what PA is to Vikings fans.

So, if what you say is true, how stupid is it for KSTP to move Reusse out of morning drive? I just don't understand it. Why hide him until noon? They finally get a guy who can talk baseball and hold that Twins audience over and what do they do?? Bump him until noon. And, in addition, KSTP decides to take on the ONLY morning show in the market that WON'T talk about the Twins during morning drive..."Mike and Mike." Pure genius, I tell you. Pure genius.

The main reason you take on the Twins is to somehow hold over the audience from the game the night before. I'll tell you right now that while "Mike and Mike" are talking with Bustner Olney about the Yankees, Red Sox, and getting the latest on the New England Patriots from Michael Smith, EVERY other show in the market (i.e. Power Trip, Dave Lee, Bernard) can talk all they want about the Twins or ANYTHING else local. "Mike and Mike" won't register a blip. KSTP's audience goes away by 7am, and all is lost. They should leave Reusse right where he was to hold that audience over - especially if what you say about his ratings is true (although I heard just the opposite, that he wasn't getting much in the way of ratings).

Again, KFAN isn't too concerned. Not to say they can't be knocked off, but the way KSTP is going about it is not likely making KFAN tremble.

KFAN will probably fall <2.0 share this Spring/Summer when the state starts following the Twins again.

We'll see. KSTP will likely gain audience solely because of the Twins games (as they have in the past), but they will struggle again to retain that audience through the day. They finally got Ruesse, who you say Twins fans like, and they move him to noon. Sooch has been struggling, too, but they give him an extra hour and he openly brags yesterday that he WON'T be talking sports on his show. Weird. I don't see a big drop off in ratings for KFAN...Power Trip will beat Mike and Mike, PA will destroy Cowherd, Common and Ruesse will be a nice race, and Barriero is already beating Sooch.

So, if what you say is true, how stupid is it for KSTP to move Reusse out of morning drive? I just don't understand it. Why hide him until noon? They finally get a guy who can talk baseball and hold that Twins audience over and what do they do?? Bump him until noon. And, in addition, KSTP decides to take on the ONLY morning show in the market that WON'T talk about the Twins during morning drive..."Mike and Mike." Pure genius, I tell you. Pure genius.

Reusse has been a relative success. In June Reusse had a 4.9 share against KFANs 4.6 among men 25-54 (which is KFAN's target demo ... not KSTP's). This is up from something like 2.7.

But these numbers still pale in comparision to Tom Bernard's share that ranged anywhere from 20-30 with this group. Overall, no one can compete with Tom Bernard so it is pointless to use your best resouces trying.

The much more pressing issue for KSTP was to do something for Soucheray's ratings after neglecting the 9AM-2PM hours for almost the last 5-years. Joe and Pat are both popular, but they have always been the most popular together.

I'm not sure if the ESPN shows will be a hit or not. But to say this is something that is already offered in the market isn't exactly true. Clear channel had ESPN on overnight, and on a 500-watt station. KSTP is 50,000-watts.

Top Bottom