Wow, Bob Saget dead at age 65

Another celebrity died on Sunday - Dwayne Hickman, a child actor who starred in the early TV sitcom "The Many Loves of Dobie Gillis" in the 50's. Hickman appeared in a number of the 'beach party' movies in the 60's. He went on to work as a TV executive and a talent booker in Las Vegas.

On Dobie Gillis - the cast for that show included Warren Beatty, Tuesday Weld, and a pre-Gilligan Bob Denver, who played a 'beatnik' named Maynard G. Krebs.

Another celebrity died on Sunday - Dwayne Hickman, a child actor who starred in the early TV sitcom "The Many Loves of Dobie Gillis" in the 50's. Hickman appeared in a number of the 'beach party' movies in the 60's. He went on to work as a TV executive and a talent booker in Las Vegas.

On Dobie Gillis - the cast for that show included Warren Beatty, Tuesday Weld, and a pre-Gilligan Bob Denver, who played a 'beatnik' named Maynard G. Krebs.
Loved Dobie Gillis.

One of the all time greats. And a genuinely kind human being. Gone too soon.

And soon, some of us will be joining them. We cannot out-run the Grim Reaper. I have gone to more funerals in the last year.

Betty White never quite make it to a hundred years.

He died from ... hitting the back of his head softly enough that he didn't think he needed to go get it checked out?

Uh huh.
Trauma surgeon Kari Jerge tells USA TODAY that a blow to the head can push the brain "up against the skull," resulting in a concussion, a type of brain injury. Jerge says concussion can lead to two possibly fatal scenarios: "bleeding and bruising" of the brain or asphyxiation during unconsciousness.

If they found him passed out on the floor, like he had hit his head so hard he passed out right there and then simply never woke up ... I think you'd have a point.

But he bumped out, went "ouch!" and then went to bed. Then that stuff happened? Seems hard to swallow. Wouldn't there be a headache?

Well, it doesn't matter a lick what I think. I'm not a doctor or expert.

They've put it out there, that's what they're going with for the public. You can choose to believe it or not, but probably no point arguing about it.

If they found him passed out on the floor, like he had hit his head so hard he passed out right there and then simply never woke up ... I think you'd have a point.

But he bumped out, went "ouch!" and then went to bed. Then that stuff happened? Seems hard to swallow. Wouldn't there be a headache?
Who says there wasn't a headache? People don't normally go to the hospital for a headache, even if they did just hit their head. I doubt I would. I would probably do what he did. Go to bed and reassess in the morning.

Really? I would never go to bed with a headache, for precisely this reason.

Granted knock-on-wood I rarely get them.

Hmmmmmmmm........

Some neurosurgeons said that it would be unusual for a typical fall to cause Mr. Saget’s set of fractures — to the back, the right side and the front of his skull. Those doctors said that the injuries appeared more reminiscent of ones suffered by people who fall from a considerable height or get thrown from their seat in a car crash.

The autopsy, though, found no injuries to other parts of Mr. Saget’s body, as would be expected in a lengthier fall. The medical examiner ruled that the death was accidental. The local sheriff’s office had previously said there were no signs of foul play.

“This is significant trauma,” said Dr. Gavin Britz, the chair in neurosurgery at Houston Methodist. “This is something I find with someone with a baseball bat to the head, or who has fallen from 20 or 30 feet.”

Dr. Britz noted that the autopsy described fractures to particularly thick parts of the skull, as well as to bones in the roof of the eye socket. “If you fracture your orbit,” he said, referring to those eye bones, “you have significant pain.”

The knock ruptured veins in the space between the membrane covering the brain and the brain itself, causing blood to pool, the autopsy indicated. The brain, secured in a hard skull, has nowhere to move, doctors said, and the result is a compression of brain centers critical for breathing and other vital functions.

Hmmmmmmmm........

Some neurosurgeons said that it would be unusual for a typical fall to cause Mr. Saget’s set of fractures — to the back, the right side and the front of his skull. Those doctors said that the injuries appeared more reminiscent of ones suffered by people who fall from a considerable height or get thrown from their seat in a car crash.

The autopsy, though, found no injuries to other parts of Mr. Saget’s body, as would be expected in a lengthier fall. The medical examiner ruled that the death was accidental. The local sheriff’s office had previously said there were no signs of foul play.

“This is significant trauma,” said Dr. Gavin Britz, the chair in neurosurgery at Houston Methodist. “This is something I find with someone with a baseball bat to the head, or who has fallen from 20 or 30 feet.”

Dr. Britz noted that the autopsy described fractures to particularly thick parts of the skull, as well as to bones in the roof of the eye socket. “If you fracture your orbit,” he said, referring to those eye bones, “you have significant pain.”

The knock ruptured veins in the space between the membrane covering the brain and the brain itself, causing blood to pool, the autopsy indicated. The brain, secured in a hard skull, has nowhere to move, doctors said, and the result is a compression of brain centers critical for breathing and other vital functions.
Those comments do seem like reason for suspicion. It feels like it would be easy to determine if he had company in the hotel room at some point.

Also was on some medications (and age) that would have made a fall of some sort possible.

Yes, but why would he be high up in a hotel room? Hanging a picture? Sure, you can come up with reasonable scenarios, I suppose.

On the other hand, there wouldn't seem to be any motive for someone that he knew well enough to invite into his hotel room (no evidence of breaking in anywhere), who then took the opportunity to smash him over the head with a blunt object, then just walk off with the object and close the door behind them and probably lock it too. Of course in a hotel it probably was an automatic electronic lock. If the lock keeps a log of the whenever it is unlocked from the outside, perhaps that could be viewed to see when the door was unlocked. But it may not keep such a log.

I get headaches when I'm stressed so it's no uncommon to go to bed with a headache.

I do believe though that people can have bleeding in their brain without knowing it.
Not that the two situations are 100% similar but I lost a dog a few years ago in a similar manner. Dog broke free while I was unloading at a hotel in Provo on one of my hunting trips, got hit by a car. He was woozy, groggy and dazed. Got him checked out the next morning by a vet who was right next door to the hotel. The vet checked everything he could, ran some tests, and came back with nothing.

I was going to just keep going, figured he was going to be 100% in a day or two. The vet cautioned against it, several times, said he should sit out this hunting trip. Said on a few occasions that "you're going to want to watch him for 36 hours or so". The wife had already started driving up to come and get him so I left him there and kept heading east to SD.

Wife brought him home, he seemed good, was eating and drinking, albeit a little bit woozy. She found him dead on the living room floor the next morning, seizure.

So yes, I can easily see Saget dying the way they originally indicated from the fall and head injury.

Not that the two situations are 100% similar but I lost a dog a few years ago in a similar manner. Dog broke free while I was unloading at a hotel in Provo on one of my hunting trips, got hit by a car. He was woozy, groggy and dazed. Got him checked out the next morning by a vet who was right next door to the hotel. The vet checked everything he could, ran some tests, and came back with nothing.

I was going to just keep going, figured he was going to be 100% in a day or two. The vet cautioned against it, several times, said he should sit out this hunting trip. Said on a few occasions that "you're going to want to watch him for 36 hours or so". The wife had already started driving up to come and get him so I left him there and kept heading east to SD.

Wife brought him home, he seemed good, was eating and drinking, albeit a little bit woozy. She found him dead on the living room floor the next morning, seizure.

So yes, I can easily see Saget dying the way they originally indicated from the fall and head injury.
Sorry to hear, losing a pet is always hard.

https://www.yahoo.com/entertainment/bob-saget-death-police-report-head-trauma-165719265.html

Florida police released its final investigative report into the death of Bob Saget — and there are still more questions than answers. However, it gives more insight as to why investigators believe he likely suffered that fatal fall in his hotel room.

The redacted report sent to media outlets on Tuesday includes new investigative details and a theory as to where Saget hit his head. The report also features interviews from a handful of individuals who were the last people to see the Full House star alive. The report was released one day after a judge permanently blocked certain materials pertaining to the comedian's death, like photographs and videos, from seeing the light of day. The Orange County Sheriff's Office noted the final report complies with the order "while remaining committed to transparency and following the law regarding access to public records."

Investigators noticed that the interior door between Saget's room and the adjoining room was unlocked. The adjoining room was vacant and "there was no sign that anyone had occupied the room in the intervening time frame." Police requested and received the lock interrogation reports for the entry doors for both rooms, but nothing noteworthy came back.

After the autopsy, investigators returned to Saget's hotel suite to try and determine where he could have hit his head. Police ruled out "countertops, tables, nightstands, and other hard furniture in the room" because they "all had sharply defined edges and corners and were thought to be unlikely due to the fact that they would have lacerated the skin." Police ruled out counters in the bathroom and the shower stall for the same reason.

"Most of the chairs and couches were thickly upholstered and were too soft to have caused the type and extent of injury Mr. Saget suffered," the officer declares. "As mentioned earlier, most of the suite was carpeted. The headboard of the bed was lightly padded and set slightly out from the wall. These are listed here as possible mechanisms of injury, but nothing was located in the room that allows for a definitive conclusion."

Dr. Stephany "could not state definitively when Mr. Saget's head wound occurred, but he believed it was probably within hours of his death." A fall "possibly" could have occurred within a day or two of Jan. 9, but after multiple interviews with witnesses, that seems unlikely.

Saget performed a stand-up show on Jan. 8 in Jacksonville, Florida. Police spoke with employees at the venue who interacted with the actor and all of them noted how he did not consume alcohol or drugs. (That's consistent with Saget's clean toxicology report.) No one noticed any signs of cognitive impairment due to a serious fall.

Richard Stanford, a production coordinator, told police "at no point did I think anything was wrong...He chatted with everyone...He had a good time talking with everyone."

Rosalie Ann Cocci, a "runner" for the hospitality coordinator at the venue, recalled how Saget told her he recently got over COVID-19 and mentioned his hearing was a little off but said "I'm OK." (Saget was COVID positive at the time of his death.) Cocci told police, "[Bob] wasn't sweaty, he didn't miss a beat, he didn't stutter, his language wasn't drawn out, nothing slurred. He came out very energetic...very much entertaining the crowd."

Saget drove his rental car back to the Ritz-Carlton Hotel, which is approximately two hours. There was no damage to the vehicle, so it's unlikely an injury happened during the road trip. The last person to see the Fuller House star alive was Orlando Nunez, who works at hotel valet. Nunez told police he and Saget made small talk for 10 minutes.

"[Nunez] said Mr. Saget seemed 'fine' and he did not see evidence of slurred speech, balance issues, or anything else that caused him concern," the report states.

Nunez and Saget took a selfie together, which is crucial, as it's a "clear shot" of the actor's face.

"There is no evidence of injury or of the bruising near his left eye that was evident post-mortem," per the report.

The Saget case is closed at this time. His family — wife, Kelly Rizzo, and his three adult daughters, Lara, Aubrey and Jennifer — issued a statement after Monday's ruling that blocked the release of certain records.

"The entire Saget family is grateful that the judge granted their request for an injunction to preserve Bob’s dignity, as well as their privacy rights, especially after suffering this unexpected and tragic loss," Saget's family attorney, Brian H. Bieber, shared. "We are pleased this issue has been resolved, and the healing process can continue to move forward. All of the prayers and well wishes continuously extended to the family are beyond appreciated."

So: nothing makes any sense. We're going with that he was up high, for some reason, fell and smashed his head on the carpeted floor so hard that he fractured his skull and eye socket. THEN, got up and went to bed, not thinking anything was wrong enough to seek medical attention.

And the door to the adjoining room was unlocked. Hmm. Well, that's probably nothing.

Family just wants it to go away and seems mainly concerned about that no pictures or video leak out.

Feels like someone just got away with something.

So: nothing makes any sense. We're going with that he was up high, for some reason, fell and smashed his head on the carpeted floor so hard that he fractured his skull and eye socket. THEN, got up and went to bed, not thinking anything was wrong enough to seek medical attention.

And the door to the adjoining room was unlocked. Hmm. Well, that's probably nothing.

Family just wants it to go away and seems mainly concerned about that no pictures or video leak out.

Feels like someone just got away with something.
I'm not sure how they can so cleanly rule out that he say slipped in the shower and hit his head. That wouldn't necessarily lacerate the skin or leave obvious evidence behind.

Top Bottom