Would you rather ....

Tater

f.k.a. "Tubtastic"
Reaction score
Lose close to a traditional power (ala 2011 USC) or win in triple OT to a traditional minor conference bottom feeder?

I'll take option 2. Seems like Holers were more juiced last year with the loss to USC. If the team is as crappy as some around here suggest, they should be ecstatic we are 1-0.

I'd rather take a win but really playing a good team close in a loss is more encouraging than struggling to beat a bottom feeder from a mid-major.

I'd rather take a win but really playing a good team close in a loss is more encouraging than struggling to beat a bottom feeder from a mid-major.

And how long after the USC game did you remain encouraged?

#2, but option #1 has a ton more upside. Getting these types of wins helps us make bowl games, but they don't do much to change the perception of the team. Beating USC gets us a ton of national buzz.

I wouldn't mind beating a power house from a major conference in our out of conference schedule at some point.

How long will you feel encouraged by this game if we lose to New Hampshire? What's your point?[/]

The only thing I will remember from this game if we lose to New Hampshire or wax New Hampshire is that Minnesota won a road game for the first time in two years and for just the third time in the last 16 road games.

It's a shame USC's season tanked last year after beating a bottom feeder.

How long will you feel encouraged by this game if we lose to New Hampshire? What's your point?[/]

The only thing I will remember from this game if we lose to New Hampshire or wax New Hampshire is that Minnesota won a road game for the first time in two years and for just the third time in the last 16 road games.

Well, hell, then the season is complete already. Wow, we have great standards around here when we celebrate beating a bottom feeder team in 3x OT more than playing a top 25 team tough. ;)

For fans, it could go either way. For the team, especially the players, it's winning the ballgame and it's not even close in my opinion. A win builds confidence way more than a loss, no matter who you are playing.

Well, hell, then the season is complete already. Wow, we have great standards around here when we celebrate beating a bottom feeder team in 3x OT more than playing a top 25 team tough. ;)

Well then, we'll see you next August 31 when you declare the season to be over like you did last night in the first half.

Well then, we'll see you next August 31 wen you declare the season to be over like you did last night in the first half.

I didn't say the season was over, but given what we saw lastnight this isn't a team that will see a bowl game. They could get significantly better and change that but from what we saw last night it's going to have to be a big jump.

A lot of that can be fixed if the QB can learn to pass.

What I feel best about last night's game is that mcrow is not the coach. But he would be excellent at organizing a firing game. The reality is that it was a victory with a lot of good things to build on and several things to work on. It is a long season and you need to keep an even keel as you go forward. You do that by each week building on your successes and working on your mistakes. I am sure coach Kill realizes that but I doubt that mcrow does.

For perception?

I'd rather look good losing to USC then look horrible barely beating a terrible team...

But I'll take the W all day...

We didn't look horrible last night... we just appeared rusty...

Losses don't help us get to post season play. I'll take the W every time and look for the silver lining in the road victory, combined with the substantial room for improvement we saw during the game.

So you enjoy making more work for yourself while simultaneously being nonsensical?

Sir... if it hurts you to read my posts then put me on ignore & keep it moving. I'm on a football forum to discuss football... not sure why you're here but if you keep trolling me I will report you for harassment...

BS "Minnesotan" response. Seriously? You'd rather lose? I'll take the win EVERY time. This was a major learning experience. Win when you play poorly. Any team in the last 5 seasons would have lost this game.

BS "Minnesotan" response. Seriously? You'd rather lose? I'll take the win EVERY time. This was a major learning experience. Win when you play poorly. Any team in the last 5 seasons would have lost this game.

I would disagree that we played poorly. We moved the ball well & our Defense held them to 13 points & under 250yds in regulation. A few overthrown balls & muffed punt were really the difference.

I think playing poorly is being unable to move the ball & letting the other team march down the field on you with ease, neither of which happened last night...

I agree however with you that past years Gopher team would've lost this one.

NO I SAID I WOULD TAKE THE WIN! Read the post before you spout off.

A team can be a worse team in winning a game like last night than a team that lost but lost a close game to a good team. So, while I'd rather have a win, after game one of both seasons I was more encouraged by the USC game.

NO I SAID I WOULD TAKE THE WIN! Read the post before you spout off.

A team can be a worse team in winning a game like last night than a team that lost but lost a close game to a good team. So, while I'd rather have a win, after game one of both seasons I was more encouraged by the USC game.

I definitely get what you're saying. Taking let's say #7 Michigan down to the wire in a hard fought last minute 35-32 loss does more for your teams mental then going into Double OT & pulling off a struggling victory against North Texas State...

My old man always said the sign of a decent team is one who does everything needed to lose and still wins. I like the direction we are heading. And I'm with highwayman. I will take the win over the loss every time.

I definitely get what you're saying. Taking let's say #7 Michigan down to the wire in a hard fought last minute 35-32 loss does more for your teams mental then going into Double OT & pulling off a struggling victory against North Texas State...

Yeah. Everyone expects a B1G team to blow up these sorts of teams and a team like the Gophers are not expected to compete with top 25 teams. Basically when you exceed expectations it's good for the team, win or lose. We play UNLV and crush them, we're just doing what a B1G team should, we go to OTx3 it's very disappointing, we hang in there with USC we feel good about out performing expectations. More confidence gained by hanging with USC than playiing like garbage and barely beating UNLV. Probably better for recruiting to be able to show you're competitive with USC than you are competitive with UNLV.

Yeah. Everyone expects a B1G team to blow up these sorts of teams and a team like the Gophers are not expected to compete with top 25 teams. Basically when you exceed expectations it's good for the team, win or lose. We play UNLV and crush them, we're just doing what a B1G team should, we go to OTx3 it's very disappointing, we hang in there with USC we feel good about out performing expectations. More confidence gained by hanging with USC than playiing like garbage and barely beating UNLV. Probably better for recruiting to be able to show you're competitive with USC than you are competitive with UNLV.

Yes, a close loss to a really good team builds more confidence in that you can compete with the best as opposed to feeling like you're not that good because you nearly lost to a team you're supposed to dominate...

And how long after the USC game did you remain encouraged?

Exactly. Follow it up with a loss to New Mexico State and you'll wish you'd take the 'W'. Any idiot that votes for the 'L' should be banned, IMO.

Yes, a close loss to a really good team builds more confidence in that you can compete with the best as opposed to feeling like you're not that good because you nearly lost to a team you're supposed to dominate...

Ha. I get your point in your first post, but a whole lot of help that 'confidence' did for our Gophs last year against the 'lowly' Aggies, right?

Ha. I get your point in your first post, but a whole lot of help that 'confidence' did for our Gophs last year against the 'lowly' Aggies, right?

Exactly. A close to USC built up the team's and coaches confidence, to a fault. They even admitted to taking NMSU too lightly.

Top Bottom