Would you rather be 7-5 with an IA win or 8-4 with an IA loss?

mngg11

Reaction score
Let's say both options have the same WI game result, whether that is a win or loss is up to you. If we go 8-4 with a loss to Iowa and a win against WI that's pretty pleasing in my eyes with this schedule.
I don't know if this is a worthwhile conversation starter, but here goes.

The big thing where it depends to me is if we are West champs.

If we were 7-5 with Iowa win, Wisc win, 6-3 but two non-conf losses (not sure what the other one would be .... wait, what am I saying, obviously would be on Homecoming!!) ... but we are West champs, I'd take that.

7-5 with the Floyd is a no brainer for me. If we were talking about a 9+ win season, I'd have to give it more thought.
I was going to say 8+ wins and I don't think I care who the losses are to, but I think it is more like 9+ wins.

7-5 with the Floyd is a no brainer for me. If we were talking about a 9+ win season, I'd have to give it more thought.
Another trip to a bowl at 9:30 pm? No thanks 8-4 is significantly better. We will not beat them even if we go 11-1 so lets just win as many as possible.

With the caveat that of course it depends on what the other results are, whether we win the west, etc., my gut says 7-5 with Floyd. Come offseason time or 3-4 years down the road we will hardly remember winning 7 vs 8 games, but we will remember winning or losing the pig.

With the caveat that of course it depends on what the other results are, whether we win the west, etc., my gut says 7-5 with Floyd. Come offseason time or 3-4 years down the road we will hardly remember winning 7 vs 8 games, but we will remember winning or losing the pig.
Absolutely correct. And no one will remember going to the Bad Boy Mower Bowl, the Phoenix Bowl, or the Detroit Ford Motor Company bowl or whatever they are. It is time to get Floyd.

I will always take the Dubs and the shot at a better bowl. I hate losing to ANY Big 1G team so the Iowa deal doesn't trigger me as much as it may others.

I think the tough part about which is preferable is that there may be a subconscious caveat to this season by some of the fanbase and media with Wisconsin and Nebraska being "down" due to new coaching staffs whether we take the Axe or not. 8-4 without Iowa would suck, but as long as at least five of those eight wins are Big Ten wins, we're sitting above the 50% mark in conference again, and that cannot be discounted in the day and age of football we're in and considering our history dating back to the sixties.

I'll take 2-10 as long as we have the axe and the pig.
I was absolutely in this boat prior to 2019. My faith in Fleck to get this team up for both the conference season games as well as the trophy games has put me in a weirdly confident position as a Gopher fan where I have come to expect 8 wins. I'm also not one of the guys who loses his mind and comes screaming in here after a dumb loss calling for everyone's heads, it's a weird predicament.

8-4 so long as it also includes a better B1G record than the hypothetical 7-5 season. So 8-4 (5-4) with an Iowa loss over 7-5 (4-5) with an Iowa win. If we are talking 8-4 (5-4) with an Iowa loss vs 7-5 (5-4) with an Iowa win, I'll take the pig. With two other trophy games on the schedule, going 2-1 in trophy games would take some sting out of extending the streak. Regardless of how good the record is, I'll be annoyed if we go another year without solving Ferentz (though I'll get over it if we have a trip to the conference title game for game 13).

8-4 gives you a shot at 9-4…I’m taking 8-4 over 7-5 all day, doesn’t matter who we beat.

8-4 with a bowl win would pretty much solidify this as the best 5 year stretch since the 60s with absolutely no debate to be had.

It also would guarantee a winning conference record

7-5 means we’ll most likely have a losing B1G season, so 8-4 all the way. Now if it was a choice between 9-3 and 8-4 with an Iowa win, I’d take the win over Iowa.

As long as 8-4 would not win the West than I think for 2023 I would probably take the Iowa win just to get that monkey off our back.

In general though I am all for the better record and the chance to get to 9 wins after the bowl game.

I think the tough part about which is preferable is that there may be a subconscious caveat to this season by some of the fanbase and media with Wisconsin and Nebraska being "down" due to new coaching staffs whether we take the Axe or not. 8-4 without Iowa would suck, but as long as at least five of those eight wins are Big Ten wins, we're sitting above the 50% mark in conference again, and that cannot be discounted in the day and age of football we're in and considering our history dating back to the sixties.
I honestly don't see how Nebraska can get more down than they've been. Rhule basically with a year 0 free pass there.

If we are talking 8-4 (5-4) with an Iowa loss vs 7-5 (5-4) with an Iowa win, I'll take the pig.
How could you not??

Especially in your scenario, that's just the difference between winning or losing the UNC game.

The more interesting scenario to me is 8-4 (6-3) West title, UNC loss, Iowa loss vs 7-5 (5-4) no West, UNC loss, Iowa loss (pick some random other conf game to lose).

Top Bottom