Would you be happy initially with Sumlin?

Would you be happy with Sumlin?

• Yes

Votes: 78 64.5%
  • No

Votes: 43 35.5%

• Total voters

Gopher07

Captain of Awesome
Reaction score
Given the "Tubby Smith" quotes from Maturi, the talk around Bellotti and Leach, and names like Shannon and Harbaugh being floated around the media, would you be happy initially if the U hired Kevin Sumlin as our next coach?

Sumlin is not at the top of my list but based on the fact that he is a proven head coach on the rise I would be happy with his hiring.

Not sure that Sumlin would be the answer to those "casual" season ticket holders that are on the fence for renewing next year.

I expect the UM to contact the top names. If we get turned down, at least we tried. How do we know that? I would guess the Harbaugh types want no publicity with this.

Belotti comes before Sumlin in my world. Then Golden.

If we have run through the top dogs still searching, Sumlin would be OK.

I would probably be disappointed at first, but I would eventually accept it. I have cooled considerably on Sumlin as of late.

I can handle Sumlin.

Each candidate is a risk I understand that. But I think he is a bigger risk than Leach. Some people claim Leach has baggage (I for one think he has learned from Texas Tech) and there are some legit concerns about the air-raid offense in Minnesota + recruiting for that offense.

Therefore, go with the guy (Leach) who runs it better than anyone else. That way you off chance of the offense not working here that much less.

Sure, the Gophers want a "tubby" like coach for the FB team but in real life, I doubt any of those kinds of coaches would come here.

This is why Sumlin seems like the likely choice, assuming he wants the job. He's not a big name coach but should be a good coach.

Sure, the Gophers want a "tubby" like coach for the FB team but in real life, I doubt any of those kinds of coaches would come here.

This is why Sumlin seems like the likely choice, assuming he wants the job. He's not a big name coach but should be a good coach.

What are you basing this on?

I'm willing to give Sumlin a chance, but he's certainly not in my top 5.

I'd love to see someone with MN ties and he appears the strongest realistic candidate with those credentials.

I do worry about defense if he is named head coach--- but, who knows, maybe we'll find a great D-Coordinator to come with and all of a sudden we've got a complete package. (Dick Bumpas, I'm looking at you!)

Gordy Shaw's return to the U would be fantastic as well. I miss the zone rushing game we'd mastered at one point in time. (Heck, if Mitch Browning wanted to come back and run the offense, I'd even be cool with that).

I could live with Sumlin, but I voted No in this poll. Maturi and Bruinicks have built this up too much for me.

Sumlin might turn out to be a fine coach, but the jury is still out. He's as much of a risk as any other guy who is moving up a level. He has 2.5 years of head coaching experience and took over a team that had finished first and second in their conference the two previous years. He didn't rebuild anything, and we don't know what he will do once more of his own recruits get on the field. It does appear he can coach, however; he hasn't missed much of a step in coaching Briles' players.

That's not the kind of track record Maturi and Bruinicks said told us they are targeting. If they hadn't gotten my hopes up for more, Sumlin would be okay.

Yes please. A young energetic coach with a winning record and a proven track record as a good recruiter.

I view him as a 1b right behind Harbaugh, Peterson and Patterson and even with Bellotti and Mullen.

I can handle Sumlin.

Each candidate is a risk I understand that. But I think he is a bigger risk than Leach. Some people claim Leach has baggage (I for one think he has learned from Texas Tech) and there are some legit concerns about the air-raid offense in Minnesota + recruiting for that offense.

Therefore, go with the guy (Leach) who runs it better than anyone else. That way you off chance of the offense not working here that much less.

This makes too much sense...and because
of that it may never happen...

I could live with Sumlin, but I voted No in this poll. Maturi and Bruinicks have built this up too much for me.

Sumlin might turn out to be a fine coach, but the jury is still out. He's as much of a risk as any other guy who is moving up a level. He has 2.5 years of head coaching experience and took over a team that had finished first and second in their conference the two previous years. He didn't rebuild anything, and we don't know what he will do once more of his own recruits get on the field. It does appear he can coach, however; he hasn't missed much of a step in coaching Briles' players.

That's not the kind of track record Maturi and Bruinicks said told us they are targeting. If they hadn't gotten my hopes up for more, Sumlin would be okay.

Agree completely with this. Sumlin is a risk in that he's only been a head coach for a couple years. Clearly he knows how to put together a good offense, but the jury is completely out on whether or not he can field a competitive defense. Right now Houston is 85th national in ppg defense and they have played only 2 BCS teams.

He may turn out to be the next great coach, but we don't know that yet because he's not proven. Agreeing with the above poster, I don't think we'll go him because of that.

I'd be happy if they had hired him last time around. Gotta go bigger this time, but I'm almost certain they won't.

Absolutely not! Sumlin is in only his third year as a head coach. It would be a foolish risk with a pass-happy coach who has not proven himself. The slight Minnesota ties are no argument for a hire. It would make a joke of the whole process to go for such a rookie.

Absolutely not! Sumlin is in only his third year as a head coach. It would be a foolish risk with a pass-happy coach who has not proven himself. The slight Minnesota ties are no argument for a hire. It would make a joke of the whole process to go for such a rookie.

So Cincinnati, Texas Tech, Kansas, Tennessee and Florida must all be jokes for having potential interest in Sumlin previously as well. The U is light years ahead of all these programs...

So Cincinnati, Texas Tech, Kansas, Tennessee and Florida must all be jokes for having potential interest in Sumlin previously as well. The U is light years ahead of all these programs...

I don't think Florida had interest, they certainly haven't had an opening in the past few years.

I'm a Kool-Aid drinker. I'd pull out my old Air Raid horns from the Klinger days and talk about beating Wiscy 11tybillion to zero. However, until that happens I'm hoping for a defensive coach who utilizes an odd front as his base defense.

I'm a Kool-Aid drinker. I'd pull out my old Air Raid horns from the Klinger days and talk about beating Wiscy 11tybillion to zero. However, until that happens I'm hoping for a defensive coach who utilizes an odd front as his base defense.

I hope the next coach doesn't put all 11 up front as his base defense, we might lose 11tybillion to zero.

I don't think Florida had interest, they certainly haven't had an opening in the past few years.

http://www.sportingnews.com/ncaa-fo...ops-would-have-tough-time-turning-down-gators

If you think Urban Meyer’s resignation from Florida was whirlwind, wait and see how long it takes Gators athletic director Jeremy Foley to hire Meyer’s replacement.

It could be done within a week.

The dead/quiet period in high school recruiting lasts until Jan. 3, and you better believe Foley’s goal is to have a coach in place by the time eligible contact with players resumes.

The top five candidates to replace Meyer:

1. Kevin Sumlin, Houston
He doesn’t have ties to the SEC and hasn’t coached at the BCS level. Then again, neither did Meyer. And as former Purdue coach Joe Tiller once said: “Don’t interview Kevin Sumlin unless you’re going to hire him. After you talk to him, you’ll hire him.”

Sumlin’s offenses have been among the best in the nation at Houston, and he would open up the state of Texas for Florida in recruiting. His smooth style and personality would win over elite recruits—and fat-cat boosters.

2. Jim Harbaugh, Stanford
So he already signed his deal at Stanford. And that means exactly what in the high stakes game of coaching changes? There are few coaches who could match Meyer’s dynamic personality and ability to get players to perform at their highest level. Harbaugh is that kind of coach, a guy who wouldn’t wilt in the shadow of what Meyer has built.

3. Chris Petersen, Boise State
Petersen couldn’t be in a better situation—and has been told as much by two guys who left Boise State for BCS jobs: Colorado coach Dan Hawkins and former Arizona State coach Dirk Koetter. But this is Florida, and no disrespect to CU or ASU, but this is a completely different deal.

If the search moved to Petersen, the coach who has three unbeaten regular seasons in the last four years would have to leave.

4. Bobby Petrino, Arkansas
Yes, he said Arkansas was his last stop. Yes, he’s a coaching nomad. And of course he would leave. Petrino was on Foley’s short list when he hired Meyer, and he has one of the game’s best offensive minds. The only question: Can he recruit at Florida?

5. Kyle Whittingham, Utah
Meyer will push for Whittingham, who replaced him at Utah in 2005 and has the Utes among nation's elite. It would be a seamless transition with the same offense and Whittingham's defensive prowess. But this is Foley's hire. He has done a terrific job with other big hires at the school (Meyer, Billy Donovan), and this one will be his decision.

Read more: http://www.sportingnews.com/ncaa-fo...-tough-time-turning-down-gators#ixzz13gjHaFZl

Thanks for the link, but that was just that reporters suggested list of candidates. There were no actual candidates for the job, Meyer "resigned" for the shortest period of time imaginable. No one who didn't have papers to sell or web sites hits to generate though he was going to be gone for long.

I hope the next coach doesn't put all 11 up front as his base defense, we might lose 11tybillion to zero.

11 man front. I know I got you on board. Just need to create a little email maturi thread so everyone can support our new goal.

Thanks for the link, but that was just that reporters suggested list of candidates. There were no actual candidates for the job, Meyer "resigned" for the shortest period of time imaginable. No one who didn't have papers to sell or web sites hits to generate though he was going to be gone for long.

Fair enough, although a piece done by The Sporting News suggesting Sumlin as a potential Top 5 candidate amongst other coaches most of us would deem as "kill shots" to replace Meyer at Florida shows his merit to be more than a joke for the Gophers coaching search.

Fair enough, although a piece done by The Sporting News suggesting Sumlin as a potential Top 5 candidate amongst other coaches most of us would deem as "kill shots" to replace Meyer at Florida shows his merit to be more than a joke for the Gophers coaching search.

I agree, Sumlin is one of the Candidates I like. Luckily for Gopher football I'm not involved in the selection process.

No to Sumlin. He plays in a bad conference, has had horrible defenses. So far this year Houston has lost to Rice, Mississippi State, and got blown out by a horrible UCLA team. Got blown out by Air Force last year 47-20. Their competition has been mediocre. Last, for a school that's located in a football factory his recruiting stinks. No. No. No. No. Period.

I feel like we could do better. However, if we strike out on the top names I think he is a good coach and we could do worse. However, my feelings about the hire will depend upon who they bring in as his defensive coordinator. If we go with a Sumlin, which will probably be in the $1.5mm-$2.0mm range, I think we need to spend $0.5mm or so on a good D-coordinator.

No to Sumlin. He plays in a bad conference, has had horrible defenses. So far this year Houston has lost to Rice, Mississippi State, and got blown out by a horrible UCLA team. Got blown out by Air Force last year 47-20. Their competition has been mediocre. Last, for a school that's located in a football factory his recruiting stinks. No. No. No. No. Period.

Pretty sure this post is from someone who has done absolutely zero research into this.
If you had you might know that Houston lost their #1 (Heisman candidate) and #2 quarterbacks during the 3rd game of the season and have been starting a True Freshmen ever since. Mississippi St who just won in Gainesville and UCLA beat Texas in Austin. Urban Meyer and Mack Brown must be no good either. And no I am not comparing Sumlin to either.

Having improved recruiting at Houston to much higher levels than the prior 20 years and with higher ranked classes than several BCS schools, he sure is bad at that. Oh yeah and he was one of Oklahoma's top recruiters while there.

Other than that everything you said is spot on.

I'd love to see someone with MN ties and he appears the strongest realistic candidate with those credentials.

So Sumlin's coaching here isn't enough MN tie for you? What are you looking for, a former player? Good luck with that.

Top Bottom